UTS(good or bad) (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Yeah. That's true. I agree with the above. If you go to Google and type in world university ranking, there are some institutes that give rankings based on some criterias.

According to some British institute,

ANU > Melbourne > USYD > UNSW > UQ > Macquarie > UTS

runnable

HSC
lyounamu said:
=

ANU > Melbourne > USYD > UNSW > UQ > Macquarie > UTS
Yea thats pretty much the concensus in the rankings of Australian unis... Assuming travelling and distance is not an issue, we should aim for the ones starting from the left and move right if we cant get in, no matter what the reason is...and that will be a good and smart decision.

But we should not be led to believe that certain unis, say UTS is better than... USyd and go to UTS even our marks/personal issues/distance allows us to choose USyd over UTS.

As a rough guide from the last time i checked rankings..
ANU/ UMel: Top 20
USyd/UNSW: Top 40
UTS: 259th... nuff said.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
Its all about what course u want to do.
ie for engineering go unsw.

runnable

HSC
BIGTYMA said:
Its all about what course u want to do.
ie for engineering go unsw.

Haha yea... but not UTS over UNSW/USyd... over any course... unless there are other factors like... UAI/Distance etc

BackCountrySnow

HSC
runnable said:
They are prestigious... but not good... compared to UTS? How did they gain that reputation in the first place. If UTS is truely that good... it will have the same prestige dw about that.,
Ok, I didn't say Usyd & UNSW are not good. And I am not n advocate for UTS. I am just saying that the cutoff is not indicative of the quality of the uni/course.

Here might be a reason as to why usyd and unsw is prestigious...
look at when the universities were established..

UTS: 1988
Usyd: 1850
UNSW: 1949

USyd and UNSW have been around for a long time so they have both accomplished a lot more.

We only compare the quality of schools' courses with other factors held equal. So ANU shouldnt be brought into this discussion due to its location, which is a very significant factor. Think of Unis in NSW, you are comparing UTS and USyd/UNSW, not ANU.
Exactly, that is my point. There are other factors affecting the cutoff...
edit: therefore the cutoff =/= quality of course..

Last edited:

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
runnable said:
Haha yea... but not UTS over UNSW/USyd... over any course... unless there are other factors like... UAI/Distance etc
UTS is much better for journalism. The Usyd course is a joke to many in the industry apparently. They're relying purely on prestige.

runnable

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Ok, I didn't say Usyd & UNSW are not good. And I am not n advocate for UTS. I am just saying that the cutoff is not indicative of the quality of the uni/course.

Here might be a reason as to why usyd and unsw is prestigious...
look at when the universities were established..

UTS: 1988
Usyd: 1850
UNSW: 1949

USyd and UNSW have been around for a long time so they have both accomplished a lot more.

Exactly, that is my point. There are other factors affecting the cutoff...
edit: therefore the cutoff =/= quality of course..
So USyd and UNSW are more accomplished.

Many factors influencing the Cut-Off but not too many significant ones affecting the comparison of UNSW/USyd with UTS. Except for its quality, reputation etc.

So all in all... the point im trying to make is that UTS is an excellent choice (assuming you dun want to go interstate or overseas) if you cannot get into USyd or UNSW for various reasons.

runnable

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
UTS is much better for journalism. The Usyd course is a joke to many in the industry apparently. They're relying purely on prestige.
Ok i need to see proof of this before i accept this eg article. For now in the domain of Arts or Lit, im sure USyd/UNSW is still ranked higher than UTS.

If its true... fine... UTS is worse than USyd/UNSW in all courses... except one. Well Done:ninja:

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
go to uts for media, architecture, computer science. :)
engineering and business is also good there.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
runnable said:
Many factors influencing the Cut-Off but not too many significant ones affecting the comparison of UNSW/USyd with UTS. Except for its quality, reputation etc.
BECAUSE UNSW AND USYD HAVE A BETTER REP!!!!!
So more people want to go there because how are they supposed to know which one is really better in terms of teaching quality etc.

So all in all... the point im trying to make is that UTS is an excellent choice (assuming you dun want to go interstate or overseas) if you cannot get into USyd or UNSW for various reasons.
*sigh* no, UTS is a lot better for some courses eg. Journalism...
It depends on what you want to study..

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
well heres my final say on this thread.

I dont like uts for a two reasons:
  1. The feel of campus, too cramped for my liking.
  2. The most boring people i have ever met were from uts.

runnable

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
BECAUSE UNSW AND USYD HAVE A BETTER REP!!!!!
So more people want to go there because how are they supposed to know which one is really better in terms of teaching quality etc.

*sigh* no, UTS is a lot better for some courses eg. Journalism...
It depends on what you want to study..

Last time i checked, Times Higher Education Supplement does not rank based on reputation. UTS has a rank more than 5 times worse than UNSW/USyd.

And as i said, if you can provide proof that certain courses are indeed better in UTS, Im glad to see it and accept it. Otherwise im taking it as trash at the moment.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
runnable said:
And as i said, if you can provide proof that certain courses are indeed better in UTS, Im glad to see it and accept it. Otherwise im taking it as trash at the moment.
Dude, it's the course's rep in the industry. CSU and UTS are best for journalism. Look at the credentials of the journalists in reputable newspapers.

You're just an elitist snob it seems. You realise that those rankings often are based on the research a uni does, not the quality of its courses, right?

runnable

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Dude, it's the course's rep in the industry. CSU and UTS are best for journalism. Look at the credentials of the journalists in reputable newspapers.

You're just an elitist snob it seems. You realise that those rankings often are based on the research a uni does, not the quality of its courses, right?

As i said before, if you are right. UTS is better than USyd/UNSW in Journalism. Good job.

THES Methodoloy:
  1. Research Quality
  2. Graduate Employability
  3. International Outlook
  4. Teaching Quality
Research is only 1 of them. I dun think this justifies UTS being ranked 5 times worse than Syd or NSW. Unless UTS undergoes like... 0 research, which should also suggests something about the quality of the institution.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
runnable said:
Last time i checked, Times Higher Education Supplement does not rank based on reputation. UTS has a rank more than 5 times worse than UNSW/USyd.
Do you not fucking understand what I am saying?
UAI CUTOFF =/= QUALITY OF COURSE.
that is all I am saying. FUCK!

THES ranks unis based on:
  • Peer Review Score (40%)
  • Recruiter Review (10%)
  • International Faculty Score (5%)
  • International Students Score (5%)
  • Faculty/Student Score (20%)
  • Citations/Faculty Score (20%).

It really doesn't matter to me what you believe.
But if the UAI is at all indicative of intelligence, good luck getting into comm/law.

HSC
runnable said:
Ok i need to see proof of this before i accept this eg article. For now in the domain of Arts or Lit, im sure USyd/UNSW is still ranked higher than UTS.

If its true... fine... UTS is worse than USyd/UNSW in all courses... except one. Well Done:ninja:
i think it's quite funny how people jump about rankings. The rankings are based on research and a few other factors which have little or no bearing on the quality of the course you as undergrads will see. One should look at the lecturers as they will have the maximum influence on the quality of each individual subject you may take.

What uni you choose to go to is your personal decision but some of the arguments which i briefly skimmed through are rather redundant but cannot be f'd typing why, why because I don't really care what uni you guys go to.

runnable

HSC
Guys... If you read my posts, I have never said UAI is indicative of quality of course. The UAI just reflects the popularity of a course, and the popularity is decided by what i have discussed before and im sick to death of repeating it.

And i have never directed criticism to you personally and i think by directing your insults at me personally just reflects your flawed character. Remember that life goes far beyond unis, this discussion of unis should never raise conflict between people.

runnable

HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
i think it's quite funny how people jump about rankings. The rankings are based on research and a few other factors which have little or no bearing on the quality of the course you as undergrads will see. One should look at the lecturers as they will have the maximum influence on the quality of each individual subject you may take.

What uni you choose to go to is your personal decision but some of the arguments which i briefly skimmed through are rather redundant but cannot be f'd typing why, why because I don't really care what uni you guys go to.

I think THES rankings are more reliable than word of mouth on an internet forum. I will gladly accept any reputable source if it tells me otherwise.

runnable

HSC
theshortykatt said:
reading through this, no one has mentioned anything about science at UTS
I thought the powerhouse of Science in NSW is UNSW... correct me if im wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)