UWS Open Day (1 Viewer)

L

LaraB

Cape said:
How come its only at Parra this year? Cause when I went to open day, I actually went out to the Hawkesbury campus. I remember travelling all the way to Richmond from parra by bus
it makes sense to have it at Parra coz i suppose its more central to the area of peopel who are likely to wanna go to uws...

a lot of people i went to school with think campbelltown/bankstown/penrith/hawkesbury are too far to travel.... so said they'd only go if it was parra or blacktown

and since blacktown isn't only UWS property makes sense to have it at parra :)

i spose it doesn't really make sense puttin open day at hawkesbury since they have a smaller range of courses available at the campus than say, campbelltown or parra, and i guess a lot of people wanna see where they'd be attending if they go to uws

i get the impression from what everyone says about buses n trains n stuff transport's a little more reliable to parra area too:)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I know what your saying about the location. But it used to be that all the campuses were opened. But I suppose if people are that desperate, they can travel to the campus that they want to attend.

Sometimes its just good to go and see the campus that the course is held at.

LMM

LMM
HSC
Every year the location of the UWS open day changes. For example, in 2003 it was held at the Campbelltown Campus, 2004 it was at the Penrith Campus and this year it will be held at Parramatta. The reason why it is not held across all campuses is because this way all of the academic, enrolment and admission staff are able to be in the one place at the same time to ensure that all prospective students are given the best opportunity to gain valuable uni advice. From my own personal experience free stuff was never an incentive of mine in deciding whether or not to attend- being able to have a face-to-face discussion with the academics running the courses I was interested in was far more important as it assisted in my decision of which course to study. If students are upset because the open day is at Parramatta and they wish to attend Campbelltown campus, there is nothing to stop them from visiting that campus at ANY time and having a look around. Also, each campus hold their own orientation days before uni commences so that students may familiarize themselves with thier campus prior to commencing study.

L

LaraB

LMM said:
Every year the location of the UWS open day changes. For example, in 2003 it was held at the Campbelltown Campus, 2004 it was at the Penrith Campus and this year it will be held at Parramatta. The reason why it is not held across all campuses is because this way all of the academic, enrolment and admission staff are able to be in the one place at the same time to ensure that all prospective students are given the best opportunity to gain valuable uni advice. From my own personal experience free stuff was never an incentive of mine in deciding whether or not to attend- being able to have a face-to-face discussion with the academics running the courses I was interested in was far more important as it assisted in my decision of which course to study. If students are upset because the open day is at Parramatta and they wish to attend Campbelltown campus, there is nothing to stop them from visiting that campus at ANY time and having a look around. Also, each campus hold their own orientation days before uni commences so that students may familiarize themselves with thier campus prior to commencing study.
just to add on the point about orientation - if you're doing a combined degree its even more so useful to go to open day because you may find, as i did, that orientation for each degree runs simultaneously so you gotta pick one and hope u don't miss anything imporatant in the other more or less...

zzangelzz

Queen of the Damned
HSC
hey I went to the UWS Open day like the year before last and remember it was really fun, it was like a circus fair and i got heaps of advice and stuff! Its at the parra campus this year wooo hooo for who's gonna go!

Last edited:

klh

HSC
id liek to know as well! i dlike to be a helper or at least the poeple at the hotline too.

L

LaraB

klh said:
id liek to know as well! i dlike to be a helper or at least the poeple at the hotline too.
im pretty sure hotline = student call centre as far as recruiting etc

basically, we were told they recruit roughly once a year as people graduate and leave.. 1st preference given to scholarship recipients and then its anyone can apply

they said they email us (scholarship ppl) with details, so i'm assuming its the same for everyone else

klh

HSC
LaraB said:
im pretty sure hotline = student call centre as far as recruiting etc

basically, we were told they recruit roughly once a year as people graduate and leave.. 1st preference given to scholarship recipients and then its anyone can apply

they said they email us (scholarship ppl) with details, so i'm assuming its the same for everyone else
could you explain...you mean they email scholarship people when they leave or all graduates?
are we supposed to call up the student call centre?
and would you know how many positions available per year?
if not, ill just wait and hassle those ladies, see what they can tell me...

thanks

L

LaraB

klh said:
could you explain...you mean they email scholarship people when they leave or all graduates?
are we supposed to call up the student call centre?
and would you know how many positions available per year?
if not, ill just wait and hassle those ladies, see what they can tell me...

thanks
no i meant...
they recruit as the people working there graduate each year and leave vacancies...

we were told at a scholarship people lunch when we met with the girls in charge of recruiting people that we get 1st preference for jobs so they'd email us when annual recruitment comes up and i think they said they send a generic all student email or post pamphlets or something for all students a bit after

no idea how manh positions a year - depends on how many people graduate or quit or whatever

klh

HSC
oh i c....but since first year, i havent heard any post on their site about any vacancies at their place, only recently in a paper for the managing head at the parra student centre which i dont think any undergrad/grad could get...

well, when you get the message, if you could tell me so i could go on the look out, that would be great...

L

LaraB

klh said:
oh i c....but since first year, i havent heard any post on their site about any vacancies at their place, only recently in a paper for the managing head at the parra student centre which i dont think any undergrad/grad could get...

well, when you get the message, if you could tell me so i could go on the look out, that would be great...
sure thing:)

probly you may not have heard anything coz i dunno, just guessing, but maybe all positions were filled by the time they got thru all the prior applicants n scholarship people..

plus they said they don't like to hav e1st yrs working then, they want you to have finished at least 1st year so mayve that's why you haven't heard before:)

melodic_gal

HSC
It is certainly worth checking out the opening day if you wanting to goto university and have a career you would like to try. or even if you aren't sure what to do next after year 12 or whatever situation you are in it may interest you on the courses they are offering

however there is actually an a open day on the 21st August 2005 at Parramatta Campus not sure when is the offically time opening and closing but it is on a Sunday. Kept checking the uws webpage. :)

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Ohh, it's different to what I expected! So, from the lectures listed, if there is only one that you're interested in, do you not come until that time? For example, I am interested in the lecture Beyond Serial Killers: Critical Criminology
at UWS, but it isn't until 2:15. So would I not turn up until then, or is there other things to do?

Also, will there be anything about law?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)