Various Commerce Degrees - Pros/Cons, Student Experiences (2 Viewers)

HSC
N/A
It does disappoint me that you view the process with such a negative mindset, and to be honest, I'd say that would be one of the key reasons you didn't get it. If you really have such a negative view on the program, the industry, etc... why would anyone want you to be on the program?

What can I say, one can only handle rejection so much while seeing all the private/selective school students get a free ride. I did not even get an interview, if I got an interview and then didn't get a scholarship I probably wouldn't be so pessimistic.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What can I say, one can only handle rejection so much while seeing all the private/selective school students get a free ride. I did not even get an interview, if I got an interview and then didn't get a scholarship, I probably wouldn't be so pessimistic.
How much effort did you put into your application? And did you even try again for any other programs or at subsequent points in time? If you didn't even get an interview I'd say your application was probably rubbish and maybe you might've fared better if you had presented yourself differently.

Putting things in perspective, when I did my applications back in the day I would print out the questions, ponder for hours as to what they are looking for, try to figure out what my strengths were (from a list which I had written earlier) and then match them up. Then I'd keep writing and rewriting until it fit into the word box and sounded reasonable. I'd then ask my English teacher and careers advisor for help to see what they thought (and they were able to offer amazing independent insight e.g. You sound too arrogant, you list too much but provide no substance/examples, etc). I'd take on board their suggestions and then that's what I submitted. I also went to every information session evening and tried to take down notes or form a view as to what that company/firm found important so that I would have a personal and relevant cover letter.

Yes I still got rejected from quite a lot of places as well (both big and small) but the one firm which did offer me a cadetship position, is the firm which I have been working at for 6 years.

ps Getting late so going to head to sleep, if I don't reply for a while then it's because I'm either sleeping or I've gone out.

tambam

HSC
Yeah, I check the website every few weeks and it is very unlikely that anything is open. All of the times I checked, there have been no scholarships open. Why would anyone want to give up a Co op scholarship? It would only be in extreme circumstances when someone would just give it up. The only other reason a spot might open up is if the student is not maintaining the required WAM.

Yeah, one spot might open up once every blue moon. Then you get 200 students applying for the one spot. Chances of you getting it are still very small (probably even lower than if you were applying straight from high school).
Lol there are a tonne of coop vacancies.
http://www.co-op.unsw.edu.au/news/vacancies/downloads/coopvacancies.pdf

HSC
N/A
Pfft... so what? Wouldn't have made any difference.

Wow, 3 spots for 2nd year Finance. I don't even think I am allowed to apply for them anyway. I am enrolled in a double degree. Also, I am not really sure what year I am actually in. I have only completed 5 commerce subjects so far, but I am able to do third year finance subjects (as they only have FINS1613 as a prereq, and I did that last semester).

3 spots , 300-400 applications ---> Chances of getting it? Small.

twistedrebel

HSC
idk what your hyping co op so much for etc. 15k isnt much money and co op isnt make or break you. I didnt even bother applying for seng co op when there was 3 positions for 35~ people.

I cut my time in retail, now work in my chosen professional part time earning really good money, better then co op without the stress of co op "choosing" my subject or gettings the marks. (earn 50k but pro rata) I went to a public school and wasnt prefect.

(just started my 2nd year)

twistedrebel

HSC

Wow, 3 spots for 2nd year Finance. I don't even think I am allowed to apply for them anyway. I am enrolled in a double degree. Also, I am not really sure what year I am actually in. I have only completed 5 commerce subjects so far, but I am able to do third year finance subjects (as they only have FINS1613 as a prereq, and I did that last semester).

wtf do you want? Everyone in finance to be offered co op?

god you would be so bad in corporate world if you dont think 3 to 300 is good odds. Those are decent odds.

HSC
N/A
@twistedrebel: Who said I was doing it solely for the money?

Yes, you could earn more doing full time work at McDonalds, but that's not the point. $16 000 for going to university, who will complain about that? Who cares if you have to do work in the university holidays, that's meant to be the whole point of a scholarship. Then once you finish your degree you can basically slip straight into a graduate position if you have shown yourself to be a ood worker throughout your work experience.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest the scholarship concept to me has always been money just to keep you incentivised to do well for both yourself and the Uni. Coop is the only one which isn't so heavily focused on academics and actually force you to work for 1.5 years or so in total in roles which don't offer you any real career progression (ie they are internships rather than full time graduate or trainer program's which would have progression paths and structure).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's also worth mentioning most people get into their chosen graduate job through being a normal Uni student and doing a summer placement or internship. That is, the coops and trainees/cadets definitely form a minority in the respective workforces.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

1. Noone forced you to do a double degree.
2. You seem to come up with these number of applicants out of thin air.
3. You are so negative that you are determined to prove to us that all these programs are unfairly biased against you in odds and hence don't bother trying- yet you whine about their selection criteria and the fortunes of those who were selected.

twistedrebel

HSC
@twistedrebel: Who said I was doing it solely for the money?

Yes, you could earn more doing full time work at McDonalds, but that's not the point. $16 000 for going to university, who will complain about that? Who cares if you have to do work in the university holidays, that's meant to be the whole point of a scholarship. Then once you finish your degree you can basically slip straight into a graduate position if you have shown yourself to be a ood worker throughout your work experience.
co op gurantee you a job whne you graduate, tbh make it worse. A firm knows it cannot keep you (you have your next placement).

if you were a summer vacationer you have a better chance of staying on/being a grad position. Many vac's have been offered grad roles (even thought they have 1 year to go) because they have done well in the summer. Also at my current job I have potiential to earn more than co op (plenty of work, depends on me when i m available) and CAREER progression. If i graduate I would back myself to be a manager when there is a opening (like my current manager).

twistedrebel

HSC
yeah so say there is 5 finance co ops (UNSW only uni that offers co op). ANd how many graduate positions? think big 4 commerical banks, big 4 consulting, many mid tiers for both, many other large corporations who need finance grads etc. There will be ATLEAST 200-300+ grad positions in finance in sydney alone

tambam

HSC
If your marks were as good as you make them out to be you'd be getting $10K a year from scientia scholarship.
Stop complaining just because you didn't try hard enough to be a prefect/get a coop/get an internship or whatever else you're bitter about.

Are you matty g?

HSC
N/A
@tambam: You can only get the Scientia scholarship if you are straight from high school. Requirements state you need 99.9ATAR. You can get a WAM of 95 in your first year and still be exclude from that scholarship.

Also who's "matty g"?

HSC
N/A
I just did a search on the scholarships website and it looks like the only academic scholarships you can get are based on your ATAR, none of them consider your university results. I have seen tons of people get 99ATARs in high school and then crash to pass/credit WAM in university.

michaeljennings

HSC
I will just say one more thing. Look at the UNSW scholarship and Co op website for past scholarship winners. Out of like 20 profiles they have up , 17 people are from selective/private schools. Seems pretty biased to me....

It's always good seeing the pictures of the rich private school kids on Co op in all their suits and such...
LOLLLLLL im guessing the reason why you didnt get an interview was because your application wasnt that great? Judging by your sore loser attitude I'm not surprised you didnt get an interview

tambam

HSC
@tambam: You can only get the Scientia scholarship if you are straight from high school. Requirements state you need 99.9ATAR. You can get a WAM of 95 in your first year and still be exclude from that scholarship.

Also who's "matty g"?
Then you should have tried harder to 99.9.
& Universities have no incentive to give you a scholarship, they're given to first years to convince them to go there in the first place.

halapenyo

HSC
I just did a search on the scholarships website and it looks like the only academic scholarships you can get are based on your ATAR, none of them consider your university results. I have seen tons of people get 99ATARs in high school and then crash to pass/credit WAM in university.
you probably didnt get the scholarship because they had a bad feeling about you from the interview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)