Various Commerce Degrees - Pros/Cons, Student Experiences (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
@hala: well I didn't even get an interview.

Anyway, I am off to study for final exams. I think this thread has filled with more than enough off topic discussion.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Very unique attitude you've got there mate.

barbernator

HSC
@fortune_cookie.

My brother received a co-op scholarship in mechatronic engineering starting 2010. he only received an atar of 97.3, no band 6 in phys, chem or any maths, didn't come from a private sydney school(as we don't live in sydney), and he wasnt a prefect.

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
N/A
Man, if only I was an abo. Those guys get it even better than Co op. All of the Indigenous Australia's Scholarships are at least $10 000/yr , some of them go up to $20 000/yr.

Lucky bastards.

michaeljennings

HSC
coincidence that your sig says you went to top ranked school and got Co op?
I was only 1 of 2 people from my school to get a co-op scholarship. Neither of us were prefects..

Man, if only I was an abo. Those guys get it even better than Co op. All of the Indigenous Australia's Scholarships are at least $10 000/yr , some of them go up to $20 000/yr.

Lucky bastards.
Yes it is quite lucky that most aboriginals suffer from diabetes, alcohol abuse, drug abuse and suffer unemployment rates far greater than non-indigenous people. Yes they certainly do have an easy life.

HSC
N/A
"Yes it is quite lucky that most aboriginals suffer from diabetes, alcohol abuse, drug abuse and suffer unemployment rates far greater than non-indigenous people. Yes they certainly do have an easy life. "

No one forces them to get drunk and sniff petrol. Those scholarships are only (weakly) based on academics. If I was an abo then I could have easily got it. Why do people get $20 000/yr just because they are abo, that is just complete bullshit.

HSC
N/A
"I was only 1 of 2 people from my school to get a co-op scholarship."

That's still pretty good considering the average school gets no Co ops. Remember, they still have to make places for people from James Ruse, Sydney Boys/Girls, etc ....

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
"I was only 1 of 2 people from my school to get a co-op scholarship."

That's still pretty good considering the average school gets no Co ops. Remember, they still have to make places for people from James Ruse, Sydney Boys/Girls, etc ....
This thread is starting to get a bit old now but despite your belief that certain schools get not just preference but reserved spots, you couldn't be further from the truth.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
So I gather liberal studies/international is pretty useless then ..
I disagree. I think learning about international relations can be an extremely useful combination with a Commerce degree. I'm doing Arts/Law right now and in the Arts component i'm intending to complete majors in International Relations and Philosophy.

International relations not only teaches you how the world works, but it teaches you how states transact and interact, how states get involved in deals and treaties (which I have found to be pretty much the rules of contract negotiation). The things you learn in an international relations major about international organisations, institutions and transnational corporations and how they interact with each others, as well as the goals of states etc., goes far beyond the theories of IR and can be applicable to a business situation - just change states/international organisations/institutions with corporations, it's exactly the same procedure. Complemented with a commerce degree this would be extremely useful, you have a technical framework to complement an ideological one. Unfortunately, on its own, a liberal arts education is sadly and wrongfully undervalued in this country.

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Can economic analysis reliably predict anything though?
In a science if what is observed does not correlate to theory then the theory is ripped down and started again, instead of getting the basics right economists build their 'complex' models on top of foundations that are meaningless ideological constructs. A market comprised of millions of 'rational' people who consider every single opportunity cost based on a hypothetical measurement of 'utility' when making every decision, sounds about right.. Every speculative bubble in history is a testament to the failure of the 'market', too much government intervention in the 'market? The GFC, they say not enough government intervention in the 'market'!
Not to mention the idea of equilibrium is built on a world operating under fixed currency systems based on taxation and distribution, where in reality sovereign currency governments have no constraint on expenditure.. Socially optimal? More like ideologically socially optimal based on theoretical economies that existed 40 years ago.
You've clearly never studied economics.

There are essentially two branches of economics: mathematical and political. The only difference between the two is where they start. Mathematical starts with assumptions about the world, builds a model and extrapolates upon this with tweaks to the the underlying assumptions, creating an ever more complex model that better represents reality. Political economics, meanwhile, starts with an observation of the world and comes up with an theory to explain it. More observations are added and the model refined until some basic maths can be wrung from it or the model can help predict future behaviour. Both are entirely valid to the world around you, if for no other reason than everyone else is listening to the results and acting upon them, so you'll fuck yourself over by not listening as well. The fundemental problem is that you can't create a model that could perfectly map and predict behaviour by humans, because a model is supposed to be a simplification of the real world. Humans are so complex that any model that did them justice would be more complex than the world it is supposed to be modelling, and thus no longer a model.

Also, biology and medicine are commonly labelled as branches of science, yet they can not predict the future path of evolution nor disease, respectively, any better than economics can predict the behaviour of humans and the economy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)