What is so special about James Ruse or any other selective? (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
That's an interesting observation, though it sounds a bit counterintuitive? Like if property ownership entails either a) inheriting property or b) purchasing one's own, then wouldn't the latter be most simply achieved by getting a good education -> stable job? Or I guess the idea might be that owning a property in itself is more likely to be seen as a huge milestone/threshold in European families...then again, I'm Asian, so this is just speculation.
Well you'd think so, but to be honest, getting property has a lot more to do with how you spend your money as opposed to how much you earn. My Dad gave me this gem of advice and I have to say it is so true: "It isnt how much you earn, it's how much you spend". When you earn more money, the temptation is there to spend and nothing spends like money. When I first started earning money, I was complacent with it because I thought "What's XXX when I'm earning XXXX". Eventually, those little expenses would add up and I'd open my wallet and think "Shit where did all my money go?". Every time I've moved up in earnings, I fall into the same trap and it never changes regardless of how much I'm making. My friends bag me out for trying to save on Opal by taking quick, cheap trips, but like I tell them, if you dont watch your money, it will go. I'm not saying you should be a tightarse, but dont waste it unnecessarily.

EDIT: But more to your question, I think for Europeans, property ownership is seen as a bigger status symbol/mark of success then a career.

Last edited:

financialwar

HSC
N/A
It's fair to argue that the school itself (facilities, teachers, infrastructure, etc.) isn't anything ''special'' - I mean, if we wanted to talk about 'special schools' in that context, let's just talk about King's, Knox Grammar and the other private schools out there.
Sure, these schools aren't so great academically though, isn't there a school with both good hardware and software? If there is an school in this country with the facility and stuff of King's and the students of JR, then we're talking about a school that can probably compete with schools like Shanghai high or Beijing No.4.

Last edited:

youngsky

poof
HSC
Sure, these schools aren't so great academically though, isn't there a school with both good hardware and software? If there is an school in this country with the facility and stuff of King's and the students of JR, then we're talking about a school that can probably compete with schools like Shanghai high or Beijing No.4.
Yes but for the most part noone is interested in selective hs fanfiction...

and there's bigger concerns out there than competing with China

D94

HSC
N/A
What's so important about competing with those schools?

financialwar

HSC
N/A
Yes but for the most part noone is interested in selective hs fanfiction...

and there's bigger concerns out there than competing with China
No one? Really? I am and so do many family who has the option to send their send their kids overseas to study instead of putting up with public education or the expensive private education in Australia, there are now increasing number of choices available for consumers in the secondary education market, just like the tertiary market, so why not look for a more competitive alternative?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
No one? Really? I am and so do many family who has the option to send their send their kids overseas to study instead of putting up with public education or the expensive private education in Australia, there are now increasing number of choices available for consumers in the secondary education market, just like the tertiary market, so why not look for a more competitive alternative?
youngsky is wrong about that.... SOme do care about the fanfiction and some don't.

WHy?

("NO" CASE) Because there is no need. You do not need to go to a "top notch" international school to be successful in life and the future. Furthermore, there are huge costs involved in it. Studying overseas costs more than studying here....

("YES" CASE) SOme parents come from a culture where education is valued immensely and it is seen as the only way to succeed in life.

youngsky

poof
HSC
@ everyone "for the most part" - intentionally refrained from using the word "only", I apologise if it wasn't already clear.

Because there are a tonne of people in mainland China wanting to trade places with you and your family. I'm Shanghainese myself, and from what I have heard from family friends and relatives, they would much rather trade the perceived freedom and opportunities offered in Australia for attending a more rigorous education in China (albeit secondary education we are talking about here). Not to mention beyond high school, Australian Go8 universities are arguably just as competitive, if not slightly more competitive, than the C9 universities of China.

But I digress...by all means go ahead and send your kids overseas, if there really is that much of an improvement.

Last edited:

financialwar

HSC
N/A
My thinking was, send my kids to a top high school in China for the first few years of high school, them come back to Sydney to do their HSC, or send them to an international/experimental school and do their IB/SAT program in there. Fee-wise, they are very competitive when compared with private schools here.

I'm not interested in CHinese universities, that's not my intention, Chinese uni are not reputable, but their high school demolished anything in the West.

youngsky

poof
HSC
My thinking was, send my kids to a top high school in China for the first few years of high school, them come back to Sydney to do their HSC, or send them to an international/experimental school and do their IB/SAT program in there. Fee-wise, they are very competitive when compared with private schools here.

I'm not interested in CHinese universities, that's not my intention, Chinese uni are not reputable, but their high school demolished anything in the West.
Well fair enough - would be more convenient to mention at the start though. Not sure how viable your 1st mentioned plan is, nor what the realistic expectations are, considering your kids would have to transition in and out of 2 vastly different education systems, it could be difficult to adjust in just a short space of time.

Last edited:

silkroads

HSC
N/A
And despite this, Ruse continues to produce students who perform amazingly at international Olympiads. Including 1st in the whole world this year at the International Informatics Olympiad.

financialwar

HSC
N/A

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, if you don't mind a tiny private school that only facilitates a 5 student cohort (where resources are little but are enough for the 5 richest and gifted students in NSW), we might be able to see a school with a 100% D.A. rate (about 25% higher than Ruse) and has 'good hardware' (enough for 5 students e.g. 1 teacher for each subject).

Realistically, this won't happen.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
And despite this, Ruse continues to produce students who perform amazingly at international Olympiads. Including 1st in the whole world this year at the International Informatics Olympiad.
+1
It's about the students and teaching not the hardware, software or facilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)