What is so special about James Ruse or any other selective? (1 Viewer)

financialwar

HSC
N/A
So am I wrong that Ruse would be just an average tiny school if it was in a more academically focus city?

Confound

HSC
Yeah I don't get the point of this thread lol. OP are you just voicing your thoughts or do you want action to be taken?

financialwar

HSC
N/A
Ruse would be just an average tiny school if average students are in it lol
yeah, but in Shanghai most school will have Ruse's level students, that's the point. So Ruse would be No1 in NSW, but average in Shanghai. In other words, if RDFZ was located in Sydney, they would be the no1 atar school lol.

Confound

HSC
yeah, but in Shanghai most school will have Ruse's level students, that's the point. So Ruse would be No1 in NSW, but average in Shanghai. In other words, if RDFZ was located in Sydney, they would be the no1 atar school lol.
Yes i'm assuming that is true (taking your word for it). But this is not Shanghai lol so the point of sending your kids to Ruse is the hope that they'll produce good results because of the school's reputation of having high performing students. That hope comes true most of the time.

Do you know of the lowest atar achieved by a Ruse student who put in some effort? I don't know but i'm assuming you won't find many under 90. Anyone care to share insight on this?

EDIT: I get your point, idk why you're making it though. There's nothing we can do about the average Shanghai school student being Ruse level. Do you want more of them to come to AUS? do you want more of us to go over there? I don't think I fully understand but i'm curious lol

Last edited:

financialwar

HSC
N/A
EDIT: I get your point, idk why you're making it though. There's nothing we can do about the average Shanghai school student being Ruse level. Do you want more of them to come to AUS? do you want more of us to go over there? I don't think I fully understand but i'm curious lol
I as a parent, have the responsibility of deciding which HS best suits my child's needs. And I do not want to limit the number of choices to just HS in Sydney.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I as a parent, have the responsibility of deciding which HS best suits my child's needs. And I do not want to limit the number of choices to just HS in Sydney.
Maybe consider UK boarding schools? Well rounded and individuals who can critically think is a much needed, and not encouraged in many schools in much of the world.

financialwar

HSC
N/A
Maybe consider UK boarding schools? Well rounded and individuals who can critically think is a much needed, and not encouraged in many schools in much of the world.
Cost wise? compared to say SHSID's $AUD 20 000 a year?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
This old stereotype that Chinese schools is all about rote learning, this old western excuse is really getting our education no where. UK (and the west) isn't very creative where compared to Asia.

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/keyfindings/PISA-2012-results-volume-V.pdf
PISA has been criticised even in places like Finland which have done really well at it..
https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6344672

Plus the countries which have done really well at it tend to have an extremely homogeneous culture.

PISA only tests Shanghai which is rich district so I question the validity of it...

Nothing wrong with rote learning imo..

Confound

HSC
No one is limiting your choice though, you can send them anywhere you want which best suits your child's needs :S Send them to Shanghai by all means

Confound

HSC
PISA has been criticised even in places like Finland which have done really well at it..

Plus the countries which have done really well at it tend to have an extremely homogeneous culture.

PISA only tests Shanghai which is rich district so I question the validity of it...

Nothing wrong with rote learning imo..
There is no other way to effectively learn than rote learning

financialwar

HSC
N/A

Plus the countries which have done really well at it tend to have an extremely Confucius culture.
Corrected, there are many homogeneous nations that ranked badly

Yet, shanghai has lower GDP per capita than Western and Asians nations it out performed. Look at Qatar, bloody rich and also bloody stupid.

Last edited:

youngsky

poof
HSC
Yet, shanghai has lower GDP per capita than Western and Asians nations it out performed. Look at Qatar, bloody rich and also bloody stupid.
You forgot to mention that figure is skewed by Shanghai's immense social gradient.

Also racism has no place here, please don't use it.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Corrected, there are many homogeneous nations that ranked badly

And also doesn't the hukuo system mean some of the immigrants have to send their kids to other provinces to get educated?

financialwar

HSC
N/A
You forgot to mention that figure is skewed by Shanghai's immense social gradient.

Also racism has no place here, please don't use it.
You may want to check how PISA test is conducted, they don't just take the scores of the high class citizens, they take the whole population, so the score is like an average of the testing location. So social gradient, whatever that means, is meaningless.

Qatar is not a race, it's a state. And it's not racism when it's a fact. High GDP per capita and low PISA, if it's not for oil then I would like an non racist explanation, thanks.

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
There is no other way to effectively learn than rote learning
I'm in favour of rote learning in certain subjects but your assumption is questionable.

It's definitely ineffective in other areas.

Try it in HSC Extension 2 Mathematics?

Try it in a Law degree?

Then tell me if there's no other effective ways?

financialwar

HSC
N/A
I'm in favour of rote learning in certain subjects but your assumption is questionable.

It's definitely ineffective in other areas.

Try it in HSC Extension 2 Mathematics?

Try it in a Law degree?

Then tell me if there's no other effective ways?
What other ways are there other than rote memorisation on standard subjects?? Do you go into a maths exam and try to be creative and smartass your way to 100%? I don't get it?

Everyone who did HSC used rote memorisation, it's not creative writing.

Last edited:

teridax

HSC
N/A
What other ways are there other than rote memorisation on standard subjects?? Do you go into a maths exam and try to be creative and smartass your way to 100%? I don't get it?

Everyone who did HSC used rote memorisation, it's not creative writing.
No.

That's a big generalisation you're making; you're just discounting the people who do well in the HSC via understanding (or do both). It's highly ignorant to think that everyone studies via pure memorisation. Yes, you do need to be able to remember your content, but you can't just vomit out what you know - you need to adapt that information you have that will satisfy the marker. The HSC is not about regurgitation, it's about responding to the given demands of the exam in a coherent manner.

(anyhow, this is going off topic :haha: )

Last edited:

youngsky

poof
HSC
Qatar is not a race, it's a state. And it's not racism when it's a fact.
That doesn't take away from the fact that you called them "bloody stupid", nor was the added comment called for.

Seems like the purpose of this thread was to sing praises of chinese education.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)