what uni and course? (1 Viewer)

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by yer
How come no one here is thinking of medicine, why r all the people with the high uais doing law/commerce?
The only way to get into undergrad med is through UMAT, a program that has its own testing scheme including interviews. comm/law is my preference anyway, I'm not the doctor type. Research perhaps, but I want to make myself lots of $$$ :D

timmii

sporadic attendee
Also, the "clientele" of a website like this may by nature be more practical and commercially orientated.

Medicine has its troubles as well. Its difficult to get into, its plagued with law suits (brought about by cunning ppl like us), and it takes an enormous amount of study. It no longer promises unfortold gains unless one is really in the upper echelons of one's field and specialty.

Also.....for all u fellow comm/law ppl - what has made u choose which university u choose to study at? Please post ideas/opinions/reasons etc? I am very interested :)

buttercup

if you got a uai of sayy.. 78.. would it be gaurenteed to get into a course of uai of 73-76 ??

no idea

I got 99.05 which was WAY higher than I had expexted, cos the dux of my school last year got 91.65 and he had set a new standards for my school as the average uai there every yr is about 50 and the dux of 2000 got like 76, so i really have no idea, i'm thinking engineering but not sure which uni or which course.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by yer
How come no one here is thinking of medicine, why r all the people with the high uais doing law/commerce?
spice girl is doing Medicine
ppl with the higher UAI's however are more inclined to do the combined law degrees'...myself im thinking of comm/law @ macq, but thats just one option...i'd prefer comm/arts @UNSW

yurbel

Hi I'm a year 12 student sitting for the HsC next year, hoping to get into med @ UNSW.....

I've heard all these stories about entering medical science and then transferring to medicine if you don't get a high enuff UAI/UMAT score....can anyone confirm if this is true?

Right now all i know about this is just hear/say, so not sure about it's validity.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by timmii
Also, the "clientele" of a website like this may by nature be more practical and commercially orientated.
<snip>
Also.....for all u fellow comm/law ppl - what has made u choose which university u choose to study at? Please post ideas/opinions/reasons etc? I am very interested :)
I chose New South because after going around both i decided that the faculties were difficult to distinguish from the outside. Law at UNSW seems quite highly regarded, but the feedback I get from ppl in the program is that the commerce side is ridiculously disorganised. Law at Sydney is favoured by many of my fellow Grammar ppl for no apparent reason.

Grammar might have a great rep outside, but let me assure you there are still members of staff, shall we say, who are not held in the highest esteem ;). This is probably the case in all faculties, whether ther have a good rep or not.

So it comes down to marginal factors. Sydney's library is said to be better than UNSW's. No prob, will scab off mates ;). Sydney has a nicer campus. I don't really care, New South isn't that crap. New South is at most 15 mins by bus from my place, a 45 min walk. Sydney law is a 45 min bus ride, Sydney campus is 45 min bus to central, then another bus...pain in arse.

UNSW it is :D

Carbon Suboxide

I got 99.85, and yeah call me a freak because I'm going to go to Sydney Uni and do BSc (Advanced Mathematics) :D Anything but law! :D

Last edited:

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by Carbon Suboxide
I got 99.85, and yeah call me a freak because I'm going to go to Sydney Uni and do BSc (Advanced Mathematics) :D Anything but law! :D
Thats the course that I'm going to do as long as the cut-off doesn't go up! The 2002 cut-off was 98.1, and I got 98.5 so hopefully I can get in.

I thought u would be doing law as well since u got the UAI to be able to do combined law.

do u think the sydney uni's mathematics department is as good as NSW? I'm in two minds at the moment as to whether to go to Usyd or UNSW to study mathematics.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Carbon Suboxide
Nothing wrong with that, but don't come begging at our doors ;) :D

Do you have anything against commerce as well?

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
communications at newcastle uni

would like to do a combined arts/comm degree but they dont offer it here and i dont want to move to sydney

hgpstar

i am , hopefully, gonna do arts/commerce at usyd, for a few reasons over unsw...firstly i got an apartment in the new sydney uni village which rocks way more than colleges...not into sharing my bathroom with more than five people. plus, sydney uni is higher in the list for prestige...i know prestige isn't everything, but when you are doing old subjects like arts, commerce, and law, you are trying to get employed by big firms...and the head of big firms have gone to uni...ages ago...at older unis...and are more prestige-minded...get my drift? my dad did law at melbourne only seven years ago as a mature age student, and says that big companies often poach the graduates from older unis, tooo.

But really, my main thing was that i got into suv with my best friend! travel isnt a deal, i live seven friggin hours from the uni anyway...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by buttercup
if you got a uai of sayy.. 78.. would it be gaurenteed to get into a course of uai of 73-76 ??
Theres no guarantees...courses just go by popularity, so while they'd usually be petty consistent, you can never know for sure.

But I'd say theres a pretty damn good chance of getting in.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Oh, and I'm doing Applied Science (Speech Pathology) at Sydney Uni...hopefully. I cleared last years cut off by 2.75 marks, so fingers crossed!

sths

hey ppl i dont understand why high people are doin Bsci (advance maths).

seems like noone i knowi doing it

why is it good?
what do job will u have if u graduate?
is the pay good? ( not important but when compared to law......what most of u guys could be doing.......)

hehe enough bitchin form me..
thx

GJ_JOE

blood brother
Originally posted by lane
I got 93 so im deciding between B physc 89 or B economics / B physc 74 at anu beleive it or not!
thats alrite
my sister made the mistake of picking the subject with the highest UAI that she could get into....so my advice to you is don't base your choice on the UAI requirement but rather on whether you would want to get into a profession related to your course in 3-6years time

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by sths
hey ppl i dont understand why high people are doin Bsci (advance maths).

seems like noone i knowi doing it

why is it good?
what do job will u have if u graduate?
is the pay good? ( not important but when compared to law......what most of u guys could be doing.......)

hehe enough bitchin form me..
thx
Yes I'm sure the pay is good. I'm hoping to do B science (adv maths) / B commerce at Usyd. U can major in mathematics and statistics, both being niche areas today, thus if you are good u get higher paid salaries.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
apparently maths grads are in high demand these days because not many people did maths degrees ...

starrrboy

creativity

im tossing up between media communications at wollongong or usyd. i live in wollongong so it would be easier but i really wanna go to sydney but the hour train trip could be a bit much.
i dunno.
anyone having similiar problems?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)