Which uni do you think is the most prestigious (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
For sure UWS is lacking in this fake attribute of 'prestige'.
But people seem to have been insulting UWS as a place for dumb people with low uai's to go to.

For those of you who honestly think that going to usyd will put you over the line infront of someone from uws, good luck to you, i'll see you in the real world :rolleyes:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Korn said:
Well, the buildings at Parramatta, dont seem very conductive to learning, and no aircon in any of the rooms i have been in, is this the same with other unis
For bloody sakes!!! Quit complaining about the class rooms - if you have a problem with it ... don't go to uni as simple as that. Theres no air con is parra - big whoop! Theres no bloody air con in Hawkesbury and last year, I was forced to do a 3 hour biology prac in 40 something degree heat outside, and in the lab itself the temp was just over 50 degrees, not to mention that we had to wear the lab coats. I have already explained to you why parra doesn't have room like other unis. Deal with it and move on with your life.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
natstar said:
thats what pisses me off too. People associate the whole uni in general with this bad reputation stigma. And what especially pisses me off is that these people dont go to the uni, to be able to have a valid opinion about it. Basically let me just say is that if you dont go to a specific uni- DONT BAG IT OUT. Unless you go to UWS, dont bag it out, Unless You go to USYD, dont bag it out, unless you go to UNSW dont bag it out, unless you go to UTS, dont bag it out, unless you go to Mac, dont bag it out, unless you go to CSU dont bag it out, unless you go to UNE, dont bag it out etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
Okay so that means im allowed to bag out UWS, does it?

and b4 Cape, goes on a tirade, that was a joke

Last edited:

LazyBoy

HSC
i dont think anyone has called students who go to UWS as dumb. I have mentioned that it takes a large ammount of people with low UAIS but NTB it is a place for with with lower uais to go to. you cannot deny that.

But NTB what about large businesses that go and recruit from the city universities, why dont they recruit as much at UWS?

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
poloktim said:
Did anybody else read that as:
"We will stop our crusades of telling people that their opinion is wrong, since it's different to our opinion, when they realise that they're wrong." ? :)
Also, you're now saying UWS is better than the city universities since UWS offers courses that they wouldn't. I think we have a case of glass house syndrome here.

I agree with matt#1 myself. If you think that UWS is good, and others who don't go there bag it out, what does it matter? As long as you're happy, who cares about some random on the Internet. I'm sure people here just say UWS sucks because they're joking, or they want to start. Not because it's their opinion, but because some people here don't know how to take a joke and declare war.

Get over it.

On topic, the fact that USyd is old also makes it a candidate for the most prestigious university. However, I think any university that's in the Group of Eight is capable of being the most prestigious university. Some universities aren't in the Group of Eight. Get over it. :)
Whats with ppl obsession over the group of eight unis

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Cape said:
For bloody sakes!!! Quit complaining about the class rooms - if you have a problem with it ... don't go to uni as simple as that. Theres no air con is parra - big whoop! Theres no bloody air con in Hawkesbury and last year, I was forced to do a 3 hour biology prac in 40 something degree heat outside, and in the lab itself the temp was just over 50 degrees, not to mention that we had to wear the lab coats. I have already explained to you why parra doesn't have room like other unis. Deal with it and move on with your life.
I cant agree enuf with Cape, i had a bad first impression, but i still had to embrace it, and it was normal from then on. If you judge a uni by its looks, you might aswell dont go to uni.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I don't know that they don't?
More than likely they do so because the quality of student at these other universities is higher, alot of people from UWS even often plan to get a transfer to another uni.

Low Uai's? Probably. Uai as far as I know is not a determination of intelligence, if it were i wouldn't be so dumb. I have no problem with people who got 50 doing law right next to me if they're going to put in the same ammount of work and work just as hard as me, where as there are some people who got >98 and don't seem too enthusiastic...

LazyBoy, i suggest u call up a few businesses and ask them wether they would take someone from Usyd over someone from UWS. Ask them where abouts the university people get their degree's from factors into employment...

I'm proud to say i've managed to gain some work experience at a medium size law firm working along two girls from unsw (2nd years), and i haven't even begun my law degree at uws. Must say a bit for uws law eh? Or maybe the university just doesn't MATTER.

Last edited:

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Cape said:
Thats what I was meaning. I'm not comparing UWS to USYD and I'm not saying that UWS is better than any other university. The fact is whether its ANU or USYD or UWS or some other university, they are all universities, and we all go there to learn. A degree is a degree and a uni is a uni. Btw, I doubt the uni could have been build in the city - its too over developed - plus urban sprawl is occuring forcing people to move further and further out into the west. Its not only city people who want to gain a further education.
A uni is not just a uni, and "oil just anit oil"
I have been to Usyd, Macquarie, and UWS grounds, and would have to say Usyd is best then Macquarie, not much a fan of UWS, it just dont have that "university aura"

Last edited:

LazyBoy

HSC
theone123 said:
I cant agree enuf with Cape, i had a bad first impression, but i still had to embrace it, and it was normal from then on. If you judge a uni by its looks, you might aswell dont go to uni.
unless you go to USYD. rofl.

Although i think largely i would have a huge problem with the learning conditions of UWS during summer. Im still not saying that its UWS is crap because of it, but air-con should be a necessity especially in richmond where it gets really hot.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Korn said:
A uni is not just a uni, and "oil just anit oil"
I have been to Usyd, Macquarie, and UWS grounds, and would have to say Usyd is best then Macquarie, not much a fan of UWS
Then why the fuck are you going to UWS?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
UNSW is much prettier than usyd imo...
Of course UWS should have air con, that is a government funding problem however...
Or perhaps they should just increase uni fees to pay for aircon and remove compulsary student association membership so that we don't waste our money on crap we don't need like a feminists society and anti-howard rallies...

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
LazyBoy said:
Although the low cutoffs is a show of proof that uws has a low rep and alot of people would prefer not to go there.

Cape i think by what they mean by anyone can get into UWS means that UWS is seen by many as a last resort if they crash out in the HSC. Which is fair because its the only sydney university with obtainable UAI's for many students. It would be very interesting to see how many students going to UWS would choose UWS if they could get into any university they wanted. There are bound to be people who will have had that as there first preference, but i just think that would be an interesting statistic to see. It doesnt exist because most people regardless of uni put there preferences in order of where they see themselfs getting in.
Well, i wouldnt have gone there if i had got in the 90s

LazyBoy

HSC
cape i think he is talking campus wise. And he can still go to UWS and say it has a crap campus buildigs etc. Ive been told that at USYD the science buildings are really ugly and unmotivating on the inside. (well the building where im doing bioethics in)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
But the thing is that they can't build anything on parra campus cause of the historical significance. Learn to deal with it or leave it.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
LazyBoy said:
i know a uai rank for a course is in no way based on what is academically needed for it.

i know uai isnt a reflection of intelligence. Well a true reflection of intelligence anyway. Its usually a reflection of effort put into studies in most case. Those who cannot put or choose not to put in as much effort, get lower uai's. those who put in all effort usually get higher uais. Its just how it works in most cases.

But a lower UAI for a course is a reflection of the courses popularity, high popularity high uai. So courses such as the majority at UWS you have to wonder why they have lower UAI's. My suggestion is too many places (never a bad thing though) and too little demand (people wouild rather go to other universities). I could be wrong, but its a reasonable estimation.
Some unis artificially inflate there courses, by offering very few places, so the UAI jumps and makes it look like more ppl choose to do it.

LazyBoy

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
well i did, god i must be an idiot :rolleyes:
even with 82.90 you could of gone to usyd or unsw or macq or something u kno..
Probably not for the degree he wants. Its not like you would go to USYD or something you think is a more prestigious uni for the fuck of it. You would still go to any uni to do your degree. Because none of the unis are "bad" educational wise.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
LazyBoy said:
haha i think that would cause even more arguments than this topic :p.

But Luckily ive been rezoned into "North Kellyville" :p
Where is North Kellyville, is that like Beaumont Hills area, or what

LazyBoy

HSC
close its right behind it and to the side of it. It hasnt been developed yet, its just starting development. There are plans to build 3000 houses for the next 30 years in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)