Who despises english advanced already? (3 Viewers)

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
chocolate_lover said:
I think that our class is going to be doing "Pygmalion"...
Yeah, it's an okay play. It's title sounds strange aye? A monster with a pig head and lion body :)
knowdreams said:
Try reading 'death of a salesman'. It is boring as hell and very werid, esspecially whe your teacher keeps on refering it to 'The Great Gatsby' which is nothing like it.
I hate plays, Play are ment to be seen not read, novels are. Why can't they see that.
I actually don't mind plays, it'd help to have a cool teacher and maybe some students to read expressively. Have you read Gatsby? My friend kinda grew attached to it and another friend of mine loves Othello :lol:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Everyone in my class hasnt finished reading 'hard times by charles dickens' we've had 3 weeks. It was so boring people fell asleep in the library when they were reading it. Realism sux, i wish i was doing satire.

The General

HSC
You think you have it bad? We're doing TS Eliot, which is appropriately an anagram for Toilets. He is so utterly random that you cannot follow what is going on. Not to mention, our teacher does nothing but talk at us for 2 hours straight (4 on Mondays!) and none of it is helpful or relevant! I used to love English, but now it's just boring.

The General

HSC
m0ofin said:
Ahaha, your friend's like one of mine, she uberly loves Austen novels :confused:So believing her, I tried reading Pygmalion and some Jane Austen books for fun. Bleh, didn't get any further than chapter 2 :sleep:

Oh yeah, I once read a bit of The Crucible too, it was pretty okay :)
We did the Crucible in year 10 and I loved it. It's so dramatic. And you look at the Macarthy trials, which are fascinating.

And I get why you don't like Pygmalion, but come on! Who doesn't like Jane Austen? She's so brilliant! Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma... They rock my socks.

Maybe just watch the movies of those rather than reading the books. They do have some pretty long-winded descriptions.

Amy Lou

Academic
HSC
I love english, correction I used to love English.
We are in advanced english and my class is still struggling with essay structure let alone what to put into one. We are doing Hero's and Villians and we have spent two weeks just on what a Hero and villian are, I'm going to die before the end of the year.

English extention is a little better, as smaller class and more freedom to do what you like. We are doing pygmalion etc and are having fun playing around with Eliza's cockney accent.

somewhereelse

HSC
Wooz said:
Everyone in my class hasnt finished reading 'hard times by charles dickens' we've had 3 weeks. It was so boring people fell asleep in the library when they were reading it. Realism sux, i wish i was doing satire.
argh.. yes! im about 20 pages from the end and ive had it for about 4 weeks.. half the words i read dont make any sense to me, and i think ive completely missed the point of the book.. its almost finished and it still seems to be going nowhere. do you have any idea what youre going to do for the major creative assessment? i really dont understand realism!

can anyone help me?

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
English Adv suddenly isn't looking so bad.

Why? Because I have just had my first Chinese Background Speaker lesson at a Sat school.

It was DEAD BORING. :S

The course is filled with discussions, and discussions only :S That seems to be the only thing we're supposed to do for the next two years, looking at the notes the teacher gave us. Four themes with a number of social issues falling under them. We're gonna come to school every week to do some discussions based on them. Geez. I wonder who wrote the syllabus. Do they have bubblegum for a brain or what? Can't they perceive the simple fact that students might, by some chance, get BORED of doing just discussions lesson after lesson?? I loved my ancient poems and proses. They aren't even mentioned in the slightest bit in any of the texts. And my Chinese lessons with fun bits of history randomly thrown in too (yes once upon a time I actually loved history - still do, but only in a very confined sense: ancient > modern :p). Oh how I dearly miss my Year 7 Chinese teacher. :( But I guess she's the sort of teacher who you can only hope to get, not just pick up at random and take for granted (I wish!). I was very fortunate to have had her...and therefore very unfortunate to have to lose her in the end. :( And look at this one at the Sat school: she even pronounced some characters wrong! Sure, admittedly some are the easiest mistakes to be made (like pronouncing the Chinese word for 'role' as 'jiao se' instead of 'jue se'), but hey, I remember my Year 3 teacher stressing to us not to make them x.x Gee, I don't know how I'm gonna endure this, no ancient poems or proses, no plain appreciation of just the sheer beauty of texts (I want my literature!), NOTHING apart from some dumb old DISCUSSIONS! :mad1: And honestly, if you were to look at an issue in a contemporary sense, surely you'd be bothered to get something more recent than that pulled out of a random magazine dated '1st Feb 1994'?? Can't they see that something written when I was at kindy would probably be a bit dated by now??? (Btw FYI kindy goes for three years and is separated from primary school in China, heh) I wasn't expecting the course to resemble that taught in China. But nor was I expecting such a monotonous way of wasting a Sat morning x.x

Anyways, sorry about that long random rant :S But honestly, Eng Adv really isn't that bad :p I could just think of a bazillion great novels that we could've studied in Chinese... :/ At least I might have the slightest hope in becoming just a little more interested in the course...until I'm reminded of the assessment tasks that are due soon that is XP

Last edited:

airie

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
So I'm guessing you like English Advanced better than Chinese Background Speaker?
Indeed I do. Geez never thought I'd say that <_< :p But still, if you're just talking about the Chinese subject alone, then Chinese > Eng Adv :D

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
somewhereelse said:
argh.. yes! im about 20 pages from the end and ive had it for about 4 weeks.. half the words i read dont make any sense to me, and i think ive completely missed the point of the book.. its almost finished and it still seems to be going nowhere. do you have any idea what youre going to do for the major creative assessment? i really dont understand realism!

can anyone help me?
Same, yeah did u get a 3000 word assignment? :(

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
airie said:
English Adv suddenly isn't looking so bad.

Why? Because I have just went to my first Chinese Background Speaker lesson at a Sat school.

It was DEAD BORING. :S
(yes once upon a time I actually loved history - still do, but only in a very confined sense: ancient > modern :p).
OI, Modern(i love modern history:D)>Ancient. The head teacher gave me the evil eye :( today when he found out when i wasnt doing both history's i topped history in 8,9,10 and elective.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Bahaha, it's cool Airie :D

I have a friend who went Chinese school for like 2 or 3 years and all she can spell is her name, "tree" and some other word :lol:

airie

HSC
No Wooz, ancient > modern :) We know that for a FACT :p

lol m0ofin, I think that's becuase your friend was just going to a Chinese school, not a Sat school doing the subject for the HSC :p The Chinese BG course requires, well, as the name implies, a background in Chinese :p But as you can tell I was utterly disappointed by the contents of the curriculum :S

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Let me clear this up.

History > English
Even though I'm not doing any history's this year, i did find them interesting last year, so i agree with u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)