• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

arts subjects (1 Viewer)

joey...

HSC
can someone give me some greater insight into the course content for World politics (GOVT1202), American History from Lincoln to Clinton (HSTY1076) and Twentieth Century Politics and Culture (HSTY1044)...the handbook is kinda vague and im terrible as it is at making decisions!
thanks!

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Hm new lecturer for World Pol... should be interesting...

joey...

HSC
Triangulum said:
Have a look at the course outlines for these subjects from previous years:
Twentieth Century Politics and Culture (PDF)
American History from Lincoln to Clinton (PDF)
World Politics (DOC)

A number of people on BOS think that World Politics is appalling, but if you want to do senior government units you may have to do it anyway. However, a different lecturer is taking it this year (Susan Park, rather than Gil Merom), so it could be better. Or worse, of course.
Thank you so much! that's a huge help :)

KarmaKitten

HSC
American History is a great subject, however be prepared for a lot of content stretched into only 13 weeks.

But the lecturer is great and I enjoyed it.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
KarmaKitten said:
American History is a great subject, however be prepared for a lot of content stretched into only 13 weeks.

But the lecturer is great and I enjoyed it.
Hey who did you have Dr Robertson or Mr Coates?

amber44

HSC
I'm looking at picking up WORK1003, what's it like, what should I be expecting?

KarmaKitten

HSC
Wooz said:
I had Dr Robertson and he was absolutely great. He will be my lecturer again this year for New york, New York, so I am excited about that.

bustinjustin

HSC
amber44 said:
I'm looking at picking up WORK1003, what's it like, what should I be expecting?
A pretty good intro into a completely different area of study you've never really covered before, but since it's about employment, if affects anyone that works (or wants/needs to anyway, which is most people). As such, tutes are interesting and most people can relate to the topics at hand, there's a lot of insight to be gained into the employment relationship. It's meant to be a fusion of industrial relations and human resource management, and generally people like one and hate the other.

Bradon Ellem's a great lecturer, loud, always interesting, a bit irreverent, and best of all, completely unpretentious (a nice change I found). Don't know what the other one's like in the other semester, but Bradon's hard to beat, so check which lecturer's taking it this semester and change accordingly if you wish. Unless they've changed them, assessments were pretty easy. The minor essay was confusing for many and didn't seem to have any obvious direction, but the major essay was only 1500, and the final exam was just a bunch of 'mini-essay' response questions (ie one page) taken directly from lectures. A worthwhile unit that leads into some pretty useful majors (read: employable).

Look for the unit outline in the general section, and more reviews too.

amber44

HSC
bustinjustin said:
A pretty good intro into a completely different area of study you've never really covered before, but since it's about employment, if affects anyone that works (or wants/needs to anyway, which is most people). As such, tutes are interesting and most people can relate to the topics at hand, there's a lot of insight to be gained into the employment relationship. It's meant to be a fusion of industrial relations and human resource management, and generally people like one and hate the other.

Bradon Ellem's a great lecturer, loud, always interesting, a bit irreverent, and best of all, completely unpretentious (a nice change I found). Don't know what the other one's like in the other semester, but Bradon's hard to beat, so check which lecturer's taking it this semester and change accordingly if you wish. Unless they've changed them, assessments were pretty easy. The minor essay was confusing for many and didn't seem to have any obvious direction, but the major essay was only 1500, and the final exam was just a bunch of 'mini-essay' response questions (ie one page) taken directly from lectures. A worthwhile unit that leads into some pretty useful majors (read: employable).

Look for the unit outline in the general section, and more reviews too.
Oh fantastic, thanks bustinjustin! I'm thinking of doing the IR and HR management major, any guidance for subject selection?

ledzeppelin

HSC
Just in case OP is still interested, I did both HSTY1076 and HSTY1044 last year
I really enjoyed Lincoln to Clinton and the lecturer (Stephen Robertson) was really good, although you do go through a lot of content.
On the other hand, I didn't enjoy HSTY1044 at all, mainly I think because I couldn't stand the lecturer (Margaret Sampson). it might be better if someone else is taking it

spiderpig333

first year B.A.
HSC
I agree American History is a great subject, I loved American History too! :) Regarding the amount of content, I like it that way because you get a comprehensive and detailed picture of specific events, yet the broad view at the same time. A sense of the broad picture is made well through the course themes which give the individual topics a sense of continuity.

nb. Ivan Coates is Dr too! ;) I had him, he's the best lecturer ever. His lectures are so engaging and I love how he refers to other subjects eg. economics ie Keynesian, libertaniasm he's so knowledgeble of so many topics.. And his final lecture was so really good it, because he talked about America up till today! It was so interesting and he's so insightful.. He talked about how the BP oil incident will be Obama's equivalent to Bush's hurricane Katrina and how it shows the expextations of governments to help in times of emergencies based from the New Deal.
And he is a really really good tutor too he has really interesting insights, a lot of which I find useful, such as that in films the beginning and ending are omst revealing in the thems/what it's about (which I then apply to readings in boring subjects such as govt and it works on books too lol), and I really really liked his comment about how both left wing eg Yippies and Right Wing libertarians eg Tea Party actually find a commonality despite their different spectrum in opposition to government which makes them connect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)