Biofuels (1 Viewer)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
Suitable alternative?
Didn't watch 60 Minutes but, no.

Not until they work out how to treat the rest of the plant into ethanol not just the feedstock.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Biofuels are a retarded halfway solution. Hot Rock Geothermal pisses out heat at a billion forevers and yet we don't want electric cars yet. Gg.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Biofuels are an unsustainable solution. They require phosphate fertiliser, but phosphate will hit peak in 30 to 40 years just like peak oil. Unlike peak oil, the only replacement for phosphate is recycled shit.

If we continue to use biofuels crops, we will not only run out in a few decades, but we will also create competition for our food sources. With a rising population and emerging India, China and Latin America, I really don't think that increasing food competition is a good idea.

The point is, the only biofuels that will work are those that:
a) don't require an outside source of phosphate (possibly algae, or perhaps just crops genetically modified to be super-efficient at extracting it from normal soil)
b) are based purely on waste products (i.e. the crops weren't created purely for biofuels)

That said, Brazil's biofuel use isn't bad. But it can't continue expanding (not least of all because of the Amazon, but also for reasons above), and the rest of the world can't afford to replicate it (again, food shortage).

It's also inefficient compared to solar, wind, hydro and geothermal. It's basically a superfluous option suitable for Brazil only because it has already invested in it.

Last edited:
HSC
i think we should all use ethanol.. it is going to be so much cheaper then petrol and cleaner as well.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
want2bdifferent said:
i think we should all use ethanol.. it is going to be so much cheaper then petrol and cleaner as well.
Yeah you're ignorant of almost everything and this continues to prove it.

Hey guys we're talking about biofuels

"I think we should use ethanol"

*facepalm*

HSC
did you watch 60 minutes last night?

it was pretty much all about ethanol and its use over there

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
did you watch 60 minutes last night?

it was pretty much all about ethanol and its use over there
lol did YOU watch it last night?

It was completely bias towards ethanol usage and didn't touch on any of the ramifications at all.

Did you see the bit about Brazil wiping out 7 football fields worth of Amazon a minute?

Have you done some independent research?

HSC
yes i watched it, if i missed some points i am sorry because i was half asleep from my 12km bike ride that day.

but i think that if we can work out the kinks like deforestation e.t.c and figure out a more sustainable way of getting this to work it is a good alternative

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
yes i watched it, if i missed some points i am sorry because i was half asleep from my 12km bike ride that day.

but i think that if we can work out the kinks like deforestation e.t.c and figure out a more sustainable way of getting this to work it is a good alternative
"It's very hard to imagine how we can see the world growing enough crops to produce renewable energy and at the same time meet the enormous demand for food," he told a sustainability conference in London. "The supply of food really isn't keeping up."

His concerns were echoed yesterday by UN World Food Program director Josette Sheeran who told the European parliament: "The shift to biofuels production has diverted lands out of the food chain.

"Food prices such as palm oil in Africa are now set at fuel prices. It may be a bonanza for farmers - I hope it is true - but in the short term, the world's poorest are hit hard."

By 2030, rising world populations would require a 50 per cent increase in food production, Professor Beddington said. By 2080, food production must double.

But the rush to biofuels - allegedly environmentally friendly - meant increasing amounts of arable land were being given over to fuel rather than food. Already biofuels have contributed to rapid rises in international wheat prices.
You didn't miss any points because they didn't give any. It was a circle jerk about how wonderful biofuels are.

Certainly they're cleaner than petroleum based fuels, but there is no way they'll be an alternative to petroleum based fuels because growing enough sugar cane and what not to power the world is near impossible.

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
12km is a piss weak bike ride and imo thats why you are a fat cunt.

You only need phosphate if you're a fuckwit broadacre spaz in which case you will already be owned by a multinational anyhows.

Phosphate is not needed for growing shit as it fucks the soil anyway, locking ups nutrients. Phosphate will not reach peak dickhead, ever heard of the haber process? 33% of the worlds fertilisers are made using the haber process and it uses 3% of the worlds natural gas supply to do this. Also the majority of biofuels are proposed to be made out of waste products anyway.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Or how about fuck flex fuels off as a stopgap and just move straight to electricity loal

HSC
yeah i know it is not a massive long one but it was a long day the bike ride was the first of a sequence of things

zstar

HSC
N/A
It will take the earth at least 100 years to get off oil.

Until then we should let the market determine the suitability.

I think we're moving closer to things like hybrid cars and solar and wind electricity.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
want2bdifferent said:
yeah i know it is not a massive long one but it was a long day the bike ride was the first of a sequence of things
Get off the fucking computer already, jesus.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
staticsiscool said:
Phosphate is not needed for growing shit as it fucks the soil anyway, locking ups nutrients.
Phosphorus is an essential macro nutrient for plants.
All living cells need phosphorus.

When world phosphorus supply peaks the amount of arable land, and consequently food supply, drops dramatically.

staticsiscool said:
Phosphate will not reach peak dickhead, ever heard of the haber process?
Haber-bosch process is for nitrogen fixation dude. You can't get phosphorus from the atmosphere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)