Should I go to OWeek? (2 Viewers)

wow!

HSC
N/A
Yeh, so should I? Would it matter if I missed out on the first few days because of family commitments? What else does O week offer besides free food, info on your course and clubs info? Can't I find out all that info in the last 3 days?

I don't see what could possibly take up all 5 days...

Thanks in advance

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Yeh, so should I? Would it matter if I missed out on the first few days because of family commitments? What else does O week offer besides free food, info on your course and clubs info? Can't I find out all that info in the last 3 days?

I don't see what could possibly take up all 5 days...

Thanks in advance
There are a few threads here that answered all of those questions

http://community.boredofstudies.org/589/general-university-new-south-wales/197512/o-week-09-a.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org/589/general-university-new-south-wales/196825/o-week-useful.html

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
What else does O week offer besides free food, info on your course and clubs info?
Nothing else except guided tours by the yellowshirts and opportunities to talk to randoms.

Nobody really goes the whole 5 days. Most first years will at most head there for a day to get some info about their course or maybe 2 to 3 if they really like it or they're doing a combined degree.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Some schools have specific events running during oweek (and week 0)
e.g. the school of cse http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~bradh/UNSW/O-Week/O-Week09.pdf

Finding out what's happening before you go will help you plan your oweek if you're strapped for time.
Hmm..nothing of major interest to me this time, except perhaps the revue DVD screenings. I live 2 hours from uni so I don't know whether I'd be tempted to stay past 6pm at uni.

Although I remember I foolishly scheduled my last lab on tuesday to end at 9pm. Now that was bad.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
plan to go to just one of the days of oweek, or even just a few hours. generally monday-wednesday are good, the whole thing kind of dies in the arse on thursday and especially friday (because everyone got wasted at the dance party the night before)

there's heaps of free stuff, and it's a fun atmosphere.

don't bother going to the faculty welcome, they don't give you any important information that isn't already on a website somewhere

just be aware that in the late afternoon, there are about 2 or 3 hours where nothing's on -- because all the day people have packed up and the night stuff hasn't started yet, so try to go in with a group of mates or something otherwise you'll be bored as

enjoy the rest of your holidays :)

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
WOO OWEEK :D hahahah : UNSW O-Week 2009: Turn It Up (still being updated)

yes. don't bother with faculty welcome unless of course.. you don't believe us.... DEFINITELY DO NOT GO if you're an arts student....... epic epic fail.... what's worse is when you're stuck there in this huge auditorium and you try to leave the place during the welcome.... *death*...

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
WOO OWEEK :D hahahah : UNSW O-Week 2009: Turn It Up (still being updated)

yes. don't bother with faculty welcome unless of course.. you don't believe us.... DEFINITELY DO NOT GO if you're an arts student....... epic epic fail.... what's worse is when you're stuck there in this huge auditorium and you try to leave the place during the welcome.... *death*...
Hahaha.... I remember during my commerce faculty welcome that I was desperate to leave but potential embarassment kept me in my chair until the break.

Last edited:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
go to the business one though. i met friends who im still friends with now.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
How come?
boring long useless speech from some old chick, no real info that we needed to know about the degree

they tried to make it a motivational session along the lines of 'u aren't screwed because ur doing arts, dun worry' but it failed

karoooh

HSC
Haha, I remember that day! I rocked up, saw a few stragglers and lots of stands up on the walkway and was all, 'where is everyone?' And then suddenly there was a mad rush of people... I didn't know we had a faculty welcome, not that I would've gone anyway... :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)