Judge Me, Should i do extension 1? (1 Viewer)

LeetSpeek

HSC
So anyway, i just finished year 10 and and starting checking out these HSC forums. I looked in the 3 unit section and looked through some of the topics and realised, "Oh Shit, i don't know jack about any of these topics!".

I was pretty happy with my mathematics marks i obtained last year
93 School Cert
86 Advanced math ranked 2nd.

But know when i look at the syllabus its all so confusing.

Are the concepts easy to grasp at first and do you recommend i go ahead?
or should i stick with normal 2 unit?

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
So anyway, i just finished year 10 and and starting checking out these HSC forums. I looked in the 3 unit section and looked through some of the topics and realised, "Oh Shit, i don't know jack about any of these topics!".

93 School Cert

You should definitely do Extension 1, it only looks hard because you havent learnt it yet!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
93 in SC maths puts you in about the top 3-4% of the state.

You should definitely take Extension 1! :)

vds700

HSC

93 School Cert

Those are pretty decent marks, I say go for it! You can always drop if it doesnt work out.

I think i got something like 87 for SC maths, and ended up doing ext 2 lol

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
93 in SC maths puts you in about the top 3-4% of the state.

You should definitely take Extension 1! :)
SC results are poor indicators of maths ability as not many tries hard for mere SC, although I agree with the 2nd sentence due to his 2 unit mark. I mean... at my school, the one which has a rank of 254... I already know two people who got 98 in SC in my yr and perhaps there are more.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Of course you wouldn't know about these topics because you haven't been taught them duh!

LeetSpeek

HSC
SC results are poor indicators of maths ability as not many tries hard for mere SC, although I agree with the 2nd sentence due to his 2 unit mark. I mean... at my school, the one which has a rank of 254... I already know two people who got 98 in SC in my yr and perhaps there are more.
Im in a school ranked 381, should i be worried?
What is the con of being in a low ranked school when doing the HSC?

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Well the major con is that you now have to achieve heaps higher in order to get great results. For instance, you now have to get 1st place to get the mark that somebody from James Ruse can get at like 50th rank...as an example

lou071

HSC
N/A

93 School Cert

Do maths ext 1 definitely.
i think you are capable of handling it.
although the syllabus looks confusing, don't worry coz you haven't started yet.

savio23q

Band
HSC
LeetSpeek said:
Im in a school ranked 381, should i be worried?
What is the con of being in a low ranked school when doing the HSC?
School rank indicates shit all really.
Rank well within your school to maximise your UAI.
If you come first for most of your subjects or rank in the top 3 or 4, then you're all set.
Ranks are determined after UAIs are released, so you shouldn't be worried.
I went to a school ranked 430ish in 2007 and 533rd in 2008 and I managed to do much better than I expected given my weak cohort.

georgefren

HSC
firstly, school certificate means nothing.

secondly, of course your gonna have no idea what theyre teaching, because you havent been taught it yet. your not gonna have a great idea of half the two unit stuff involving calculus either ...

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Do MX1, have it as a unit that doesnt have to count if your really unconfident. MX1 leads to a broader knowledge at MA (2U), which i assume will count for you. I dont know many ppl that cared about maths or any other subject in yr 10 lol SC is the biggest joke, the marks don't mean/reflect anything.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I got the same mark as you for school certificate. Going into MX1 I found the work reletively easy to grasp if I put in a bit of effort. If you don't want to work, then avoid Mx1 at all costs. My priorities shifted, and I became more interested in English, thus, the amount of time I put into Maths dropped. My overall HSC mark wasn't to great for Maths.

Basically, with your mark, if you are willing to put in some effort, go for it.

bored.of.u

HSC
go for it ext1 maths wasnt as hard as i thought it to be i never thought i would consider taking ext2 (which i am now) after doing the ext1 course. You'll do good...93 in SC = top 3-4% in state good luck

LordPc

HSC
answer is easy. yes ofcourse you should do ext 1 maths. you can always drop if u find it too hard without any consequences

only reason y u shouldnt do MX1 is if it clashes with another course u want to do. but if not, u have nothing to lose if u do it

JollyJohn

HSC
N/A
DOIT!

Ext1 = you can do EXT2 next year

that DOUBLES your EXT1 into counting for 2 units,a nd you get the massive scaling of EXT2

thats so friggin win i dunno why else you wouldnt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)