Newstart- anyone received it? (3 Viewers)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I really want to find an adult job, for grown ups. I'll do basically anything, but I'm trying to avoid going back to woolies/coles/hospitality rubbish. Somewhere my intelligence will receive a basic level of respect, or at least I won't be constantly hassled by cunts. Want something full-time. Been applying for every sales job that comes up, but I have no experience.

Ideally, a vacancy will come up at Australia Post, and I'll be able to get the Postie job I always dreamed of.

Centrelink will set us up with an employment agency and hopefully something will come out of that. There's not that many vacancies in Newcastle at the moment.
Would you work in a call centre?

There's a job going at the CommBank call centre in Newcastle. Inbound calls, meaning people are calling you, not you calling them.

You don't need any experience, just the ability to present well and speak well. $21ph and 8 hour shifts.

Have a look..?

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Would you work in a call centre?

There's a job going at the CommBank call centre in Newcastle. Inbound calls, meaning people are calling you, not you calling them.

You don't need any experience, just the ability to present well and speak well. $21ph and 8 hour shifts.

Have a look..?
I most certainly would, thank you very much, will rep again, <3 you man.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Fuck, I somehow managed to turn $11/hour into $900 last fortnight. I don't know how this is possible, I don't even work there that much. No dice.

edit: wait, thresholds are higher if you're also eligible for rent assistance. Confusing.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Yo you qualify for independence as you've moved out of home and you're paying your own rent, as far as I understand it.

If you've got to move to go to uni then you're independent right out of the gate.

EDIT: Holy shit they have shifted THOSE motherfucking goalposts.

Youth Allowance independence test
I don't think the independence test has ever been that lax.

For the OP call 13 28 50 and ask them direct because I am way to lazy to look up their scripted information for you.

conics2008

HSC
op- would u consider you self a male or female in this world.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
For the OP call 13 28 50 and ask them direct because I am way to lazy to look up their scripted information for you.
Fuck off, don't be a patronizing dickhead.

They don't reply to email enquiries apparently, their call centres are shit, I used 30 dollars of phone credit without getting through to them, so had to drive 2 hours home to use a landline to call them.

I went into my local center and they refused to help and said you must use the phone service.

You can't find any of this information on the site, I called them up and asked them the very same questions and being public servants they're deliberately vague and unhelpful cunts.

These sort of questions are best asked of previous users of the system, something this forum was made for.

Suck my dick.

I'm over it, I have an appointment tomorrow, but I'll cancel because apparently I'm earning more than I thought I was. I might be eligible, but I'm not going to jump through the hoops for what would probably be <$100 a week on my income.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Graney said:
Fuck off, don't be a patronizing dickhead.
Pull your finger out and at least try before asking for help with basic questions.

They don't reply to email enquiries apparently, their call centres are shit, I used 30 dollars of phone credit without getting through to them, so had to drive 2 hours home to use a landline to call them.
Yeah it sucks that Newcastle doesn't have any landlines and you had to drive to Sydney to use one.... So they have long queues? What did you expect? I've never had to wait that long, the key is to call during lulls. For instance early in the morning is good, lunch time is bad.

I went into my local center and they refused to help and said you must use the phone service.
Yeah seems pretty reasonable. The purpose of the call centre is to handle general inquiries so that branches can handle applications and existing clients. If they started to handle every mug who wandered in from the street with a 'can I get me some money?' inquiry would they have enough resources left over to help the young mum with three kids who is on the run from her abusive husband? Call it triage.

You can't find any of this information on the site,
Claiming Newstart Allowance

It took three clicks from the homepage. Pretty tough I know.

I called them up and asked them the very same questions and being public servants they're deliberately vague and unhelpful cunts.

These sort of questions are best asked of previous users of the system, something this forum was made for.
Yep I'm sure that was intentional and not because they are not allowed to provide eligibility advice regarding specific individuals - that is the job of experts in that area (whom you contact by applying for a payment). Much like the guy on the counter at the bank can't give you a home loan but can refer you to a home loan consultant. And in the same vein you probably shouldn't take home loan advice from the random guy in the street.

Suck my dick.
I respectively decline, though congratulations you are well on the way to being a Centrelink client.

I'm over it, I have an appointment tomorrow, but I'll cancel because apparently I'm earning more than I thought I was. I might be eligible, but I'm not going to jump through the hoops for what would probably be <$100 a week on my income.
Nice to see that environmental science covers basic arithmetic....

blue_chameleon

HSC
Stop being such a cunt.

The forum is here for people to help others if they can/want to, which it appears you have done anyway by providing the link to the site.

If you don't want to help, nobody is forcing you to. Just don't go on a tirade about how lazy someone is when you get yourself caught up in how much they should be doing it themselves.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
I get $370 per fortnight from youth allowance and barely survive, If your out of school, get a better job, because seriously you wont be able to survive.
so you're living at home and going to school and you cant live off the wage of a 1st year apprentice welder? wtf are you spending it all on drugs or something?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Yeah it sucks that Newcastle doesn't have any landlines and you had to drive to Sydney to use one.... So they have long queues? What did you expect? I've never had to wait that long, the key is to call during lulls. For instance early in the morning is good, lunch time is bad.
I don't have a landline at my house, and I only know mates who are also renting. Their call centres in Qld and Vic are closed due to heatwave, there is no quiet time. What would you have suggested I did?

Claiming Newstart Allowance

It took three clicks from the homepage. Pretty tough I know.
Please copy/paste the answers to any of the questions I asked in the OP, from that source?

Yep I'm sure that was intentional and not because they are not allowed to provide eligibility advice regarding specific individuals - that is the job of experts in that area (whom you contact by applying for a payment). Much like the guy on the counter at the bank can't give you a home loan but can refer you to a home loan consultant. And in the same vein you probably shouldn't take home loan advice from the random guy in the street.
I wanted to know what being on Newstart is like. The only way to find that out is to go direct to the users.

No one, anywhere in the official process is going be upfront and tell me the truth to questions like "How psycho are the activity agreements you must sign?".

Kids constantly post threads asking the same questions about youth allowance. I'm a cunt because I started the one and only thread about newstart? I was really hoping, beyond just the questions I asked, someone would come out of the woodwork who had used it, and give me a full-run down of their experience. Despite what you say, that is not something centrelink staff are ever going to fully and honestly describe to you, and I like it when I can get expert advice before making important life decisions. If someone had warned me off Newstart, I would have reconsidered deferring for a year.

I was hoping to get the answers to all the questions I wouldn't even realise to ask.
Nice to see that environmental science covers basic arithmetic....
I don't get payslips ever, and I hadn't checked my bank credits in the month since I returned to work. I presumed my payrate would make it hard to earn above $860/fortnight, but I'm doing a lot more hours than I thought apparently.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Apologies for being a bit of a dick, you should check out http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/ci003_0807/$file/ci003_0807en_p.pdf

Because of my current employment I can't answer specific questions nor provide specific advice. I can however strongly recommend reading the material on their website as it should provide answers to all your questions.

FYI: Once/if you do get to talking to Centrelink direct I would suggest you skip on the "Fuck off, don't be a patronizing dickhead." "Suck my dick." because it won't help.

Oh and CIV1501 nice hypocrisy on the neg rep and your reply to snowfox.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
Not hypocracy at all, i was merely expressing my disbelief that he can't live off that much money.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Get a job with NSW Health man.

HealthJobs - Health Jobs View

You may be eligible for Newstart Allowance if you are:

aged 21 or over, and
under the Age Pension age, and
looking for paid work, and
prepared to enter into an activity agreement, and
not involved in industrial action.

Approved Activities:
The types of activities you may undertake include:
training, vocational, personal development, Language, Literacy and Numeracy Training Programme (LLNP)
voluntary work
vocational rehabilitation
an activity nominated by you if you live in a remote area.

Do I need permission to undertake an approved activity?
Yes. If you are receiving a Newstart or Youth Allowance, you need Centrelink approval before you start if you are going to undertake an activity instead of looking for work. The activity may be for up to a maximum of 12 months.

Can I appeal if my application to do an approved activity is not approved?
Yes, you always have the right to appeal any decision made by Centrelink. For more information about how to have a decision looked at again, go to Reviews and Appeals.

Do I still have to meet the Activity Test if I am undertaking an approved activity?
No. You meet the Activity Test while you are participating in a full-time approved activity. If you are the principal carer of a child under 16 years of age, or you have been assessed as having a partial capacity to work, you may be able to meet the activity test by participating in a part-time approved activity.

Mutual Obligation Requirements

IDK it's all there dude

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
Seen this one, Graney? You'll work like a dog to make Centrelink happy - Opinion - smh.com.au

Newstart is insane. You'd better off be getting full time work.

Howie made unemployment stuff pretty cheap and nasty which was fine when everyone was employed, now, not so much.

EDIT: Also look here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1134531 Make an account if you don't have one, actual people who have been or are on Newstart talking about how they just push you into any job possible. It's all about statistics for them (seen The Wire?).

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
There is full time employment available, and as a student without qualifications you might just have to suck it up and do something undesirable for a certain amount of time. Go a year, get paid a lot and go back to uni, claim youth allowance and get some casual work to cover what YA can't cover, whilst studying.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']During one of my last deliveries tonight, I was stopped at the lights closest to the shop. A charming young man approached my car, and offered me $2.50 for my deliveries. When I explained he should go into the shop and make that offer, he then explained that he could just take them, or better still, punch me in the face, or stab me and take them. Indeed, he went on to suggest he could take my car and everything in it. The lights changed and as I went to drive off, he reached into the car and attempted to grab my keys from the ignition.

[/FONT]

blue_chameleon

HSC
[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]During one of my last deliveries tonight, I was stopped at the lights closest to the shop. A charming young man approached my car, and offered me $2.50 for my deliveries. When I explained he should go into the shop and make that offer, he then explained that he could just take them, or better still, punch me in the face, or stab me and take them. Indeed, he went on to suggest he could take my car and everything in it. The lights changed and as I went to drive off, he reached into the car and attempted to grab my keys from the ignition.

[/FONT]
Dude.

That's pretty fucked.

Dominos/Pizza Hut?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Dad said I should call the police, but fuck, it makes no difference, the cops won't do anything.

Being ripped off and threatened is what this job's all about.

I've lowered my standards. I have applications for work in with woolies, all and sundry.

I got the impression from the dude at the centrelink call centre, leaving my casual job would not be okay, unless I had a 'valid reason'. I wonder if being threatened with stabbing and robbery counts as a valid reason, or do I have to actually get stabbed before I can quit?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)