I have a friend... (1 Viewer)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Definitely give him space. He's dealing with his own stuff and you're probably presenting a bit of a confusing situation to him - he's gay but religious and can't deal with that being presented to him which is what you're inadvertantly doing by being his friend.

It might be a good idea to explain this to him calmly and rationally and let him know that you want to give him space so he can work out his feelings.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
For me, situations like this PROVE religion's fallacy- obviously being gay is biological and unavoidable for some men, so in my view it should be accepted- but yea, I'm quite the libertarian. My point was, to any religion nut out there, if he has given his life to GOD and 'done the right thing' so far, then why would God make him 'gay' (a sin the church likes to label it)?

Getting to your situation, how very tricky. I think the best thing you could do is give him time to work out the huge mental tension he must be facing and ultimately make a decision. I mean let's consider this, I'll assume he is Christian, he has probably spent his whole life following the Bible, accepting the teachings of Jesus etc and then to suddenly discover that part of his identity is CONDEMED (by death) in the book he has so far cherished, imagine how that makes him feel?

-Cookie182

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
For me, situations like this PROVE religion's fallacy- obviously being gay is biological and unavoidable for some men, so in my view it should be accepted- but yea, I'm quite the libertarian. My point was, to any religion nut out there, if he has given his life to GOD and 'done the right thing' so far, then why would God make him 'gay' (a sin the church likes to label it)?

Getting to your situation, how very tricky. I think the best thing you could do is give him time to work out the huge mental tension he must be facing and ultimately make a decision. I mean let's consider this, I'll assume he is Christian, he has probably spent his whole life following the Bible, accepting the teachings of Jesus etc and then to suddenly discover that part of his identity is CONDEMED (by death) in the book he has so far cherished, imagine how that makes him feel?

-Cookie182
i think much more help would be derived from discussing this specific situation rather than harping on about what is already known.
Discussion of the broader issue should occur in NCAP.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
i think much more help would be derived from discussing this specific situation rather than harping on about what is already known.
Discussion of the broader issue should occur in NCAP.
Understood, you gotta love it though when certain things inspire a mini-rant lol

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I sympathise with the religious friend, naturally. The only moral course for the homosexual is total abstinence. This isnt as unacceptable as the world would have us believe imo. Man will always do battle with the unholy trinity of desire for material possessions, desire for sexual intercourse, and desire for pride. I am in agreement with the Buddhists who claim that desire is the root of all evil.

Vows of poverty, chastity and servitude are the holy way.

An unchecked development of one of these desires is enough to destroy the individual and their relationship with God. Temptation is a daily affair, a constant trial and one which we will be judged for, but self-mastery is possible through Christ. Indeed, I think that the homosexuals are called into a closer relationship with Him, as they are always made internally aware that their sexual desires are too evil, too unnatural, to contemplate

HSC
Hrm yes...but you see, it was actually me who made the decision to end the sexual engagement out of a fear for loss of freindship. My friend did not chastely decide to suppress his homosexual desire.

He was rejected, and is now desperately attempting to dismiss what happened.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I sympathise with the religious friend, naturally. The only moral course for the homosexual is total abstinence. This isnt as unacceptable as the world would have us believe imo. Man will always do battle with the unholy trinity of desire for material possessions, desire for sexual intercourse, and desire for pride. I am in agreement with the Buddhists who claim that desire is the root of all evil.

Vows of poverty, chastity and servitude are the holy way.

An unchecked development of one of these desires is enough to destroy the individual and their relationship with God. Temptation is a daily affair, a constant trial and one which we will be judged for, but self-mastery is possible through Christ. Indeed, I think that the homosexuals are called into a closer relationship with Him, as they are always made internally aware that their sexual desires are too evil, too unnatural, to contemplate
Sorry if this is prudent, but some reason I thought you were actually gay?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Mwa!? I'm a virile stallion. I've had scores of girlfriends and have never seriously looked at a man in that way

And thankyou Silver Persion. See, I can have a perfectly normal relationship with you. I've also always been a big fan of Pwar. My religion commands me to be respectful of these people and I sympathise with their unique internal struggles

Edit: Silver, I obviously cant speak for your friend, but I mean that I sympathise with his kampf (lol pun). Of course he's not perfect, but I think that your facts seem ambiguous enough to imply that it was also he who decided not to pursue the matter further

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Well idk in that case. I guess he's not much of a Christian and you've acted as responsibly as you could to avoid this conflict/hypocrisy. It's really not your place to make sure that he's consistent with his religous values, so youve gone beyond the call.
Refer him to me if you have continuing difficulty

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Well idk in that case. I guess he's not much of a Christian and you've acted as responsibly as you could to avoid this conflict/hypocrisy. It's really not your place to make sure that he's consistent with his religous values, so youve gone beyond the call.
Refer him to me if you have continuing difficulty
I'm going to guess your Protestant or some other non-catholic based Christian. This observation is purely based upon your sig.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)