• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is 99.5+ an unrealistic aim for me? (1 Viewer)

duckcowhybrid

HSC
explain please.
Humanities have more of a chance to be based on bias and marker opinion, and there's not as much rigidity and certainty like there is for Science/Maths. I still took 2 Humanities because I'm good at them, but I'm just saying it's much harder with Humanities because you can't cram a textbook and repeat that in the exam like you can for Sciences.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
explain please.
I didn't mean offense, I'm all for humanitarian studies in university. But for HSC, you are trying to GET INTO university to begin with, so I feel that maths/science and english to a certain degree are subjects which have a linear, achievable and easily distinguished, if not easily achieved, path to success.

I sorta disagree with the marker bias argument, although I can see where it is coming from. If your response to a question is good, solid, direct and backed up well then I see no reason for a marker in any mood not to give high marks. But yes, it is understandable that different markers give different marks. One of my essays last year came back to me with 18, crossed out. Below it, there was 15, crossed out. Above that there was 16 with a circle around it, so yeah.

But in the end as dp said 'whatever floats your boat'. If you perform better in history and commerce better than maths and biology, please take it.

PS. Science/Math scales better

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
This is definitely a realistic goal for you, judging by your SC results, they're fantastic!

Just work hard but smart for the next two years and you'll be fine. :)

LordPc

HSC
humanities can get a bit cloudy, one on day the essay may get 12/20, another day 17/20.

but at the very top end, where talented students are pushing for full marks there isnt that much variance. a top essay is very clearly a top essay and will get full marks, regardless of the marker

but when you get an essay that is just ok there will be some variance.

so yea sciences are probably a lot safer. but hey, humanities (some of them at least) are a lot more interesting then newton or avogadro

duckcowhybrid

HSC
PS. Science/Math scales better
2U maths doesn't, Bio Doesnt, and Phys/Chem don't in the 90%+ range. I checked it. Modern/Eco scale disgustingly well once you hit the 90%+ mark, just to get it there can be more difficult than Sciences due to marker bias.

tku336

HSC
three out of the top four at grammar this year dont do sciences. clearly humanities win.

dp624

HSC
three out of the top four at grammar this year dont do sciences. clearly humanities win.
stop going on about grammar geez
i could invoke all this shit about my school which counters your statement, which is [arguably, but certainly so in terms of results] better

tku336

HSC
okay okay. but its the only school that im able to pull facts out of. im not in a position to say "at ruse" ect.

but yeah, theres nothing wrong with humanities. i know quite a few people who've gotten 99.95 or above without maths or science.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
At Ruse we don't have arguably the best HSIE Faculty like you do down at Grammar. We do however have arguably the best Science/maths faculties, hence why James Ruse dominates in thsoe two fields, and since it's much easier to get a high mark in them, Ruse tends to top because of it. I dohwever know a girl who got 100 UAI last year without Sciences. She did do 2U maths though, she came 8th in that (there were 7 1sts), she came 3rd in Comparative Literature (Distinction Course) and she came first in Geography. 3 State Rankings means that she should ahve gotten 100 UAI and she did.

tku336

HSC
nah, menzies got state rankings in 5 subjects i think (cant remember exactly, but it was 4 or 5) , and he got 99.95

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nah, menzies got state rankings in 5 subjects i think (cant remember exactly, but it was 4 or 5) , and he got 99.95
Nah he didn't.

State rankings for two i think. I was checking him out on the ceremony - 1st for 1 and like 2nd for the other.

@duckcowhybrid:

umm...there were 6 people who topped 2 unit and i don't think mellisa topped anything...(I didn't see her on the day). However, she did get 3 state ranks - geo, comp lit, 2 unit maths.

Last edited:

tku336

HSC
no, he definatly state ranked in maths and both ancient greeks. and im pretty sure he state listed in latins.

dp624

HSC
At Ruse we don't have arguably the best HSIE Faculty like you do down at Grammar. We do however have arguably the best Science/maths faculties, hence why James Ruse dominates in thsoe two fields, and since it's much easier to get a high mark in them, Ruse tends to top because of it. I dohwever know a girl who got 100 UAI last year without Sciences. She did do 2U maths though, she came 8th in that (there were 7 1sts), she came 3rd in Comparative Literature (Distinction Course) and she came first in Geography. 3 State Rankings means that she should ahve gotten 100 UAI and she did.
Correction to some of your statistics:
2nd in geography
9th in 2u maths, and there were 6 =1sts

she also came 3rd in ag i believe

also our science/maths faculties aren't the most awesome; however, our students are generally 'asian' and like to motivate each other much more in the "sciency/mathy" fields since they're traditionally asian subjects.

i am also told that history extension is perenially ruse's worst subject

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
no, he definatly state ranked in maths and both ancient greeks. and im pretty sure he state listed in latins.
he got 4
both classical greeks, 1 4u maths, 1 latin cont

and he had a pretty craptastic english score (89 or something, which almost immediately made it impossible to get 100 - still possible, but very hard)

-Onlooker-

HSC
To the OP
Given your school is ranked 150-200; and they probably get 5 or so D.A's a year; Your chances are very slim.

ext 2 maths will fuck you in many unique ways.

Just some advie, take preliminary Phys+Chem seriously.

Gluk

Last edited:

tku336

HSC
vallance got 99.95 last year without maths or sciences. (although he did top two subjects and get state listed in another two)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)