• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Volume Question - shell method (2 Viewers)

asb_92

HSC
oki.. so i hav a test on volumes in 2 days.. and i dnt get how teh heckk i gta do this stufff >< can soemone plz help me out with this qu?

The area enclosed by y=x^2 and x=y^2 is rotated about y-axis. Find the volume.

thanks veryy muchh!
and also if u guys have any tips on how to approach volumes questions and stuff?

thanks again :D
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The 2 curves intersect @ (0,0) and (1,1)

Don't know if answer is right.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I got 3pi/10 too. But just make sure you're using shell method [I'm not quite sure Drongoski used it].

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I got 3pi/10 too. But just make sure you're using shell method [I'm not quite sure Drongoski used it].
You are right. I forgot and was hurrying off to tutor.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Cylindrical Shells Version

Last edited:

asb_92

HSC
im confused..
could u please explain how u got to the answer?:S

haha im a losty when it comes to mathh ><
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
im confused..
could u please explain how u got to the answer?:S

haha im a losty when it comes to mathh ><
which part are u not clear about ?

asb_92

HSC
the 2pi x( y2 - y1) part...:S

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Take a typical very thin vertical strip, of thickness delta x, of the area between the 2 curves; when spinned around the Y-axis, it forms a cylindrical shell, of radius x, and of height given by the 'y' of the upper curve minus the 'y' of the lower curve (y=x^2).

The circumference of a circle radius r is 2 x pi x r (for this question, it is "2 pi x" ); multiply this by the height (sqrt(x) - x^2) times delta x (like dx) gives you the volume of this thin cylinder. The total volume comes from adding up all these thin cylindrical shells, all the way from x=0 to x=1. This is roughly what the integral is all about.

Hope this helps.

asb_92

HSC
http://community.boredofstudies.org/members/drongoski/
thanks heappsss!! that helped a lott!!! Drongoski :D:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)