• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I need help for next years subjects :) (2 Viewers)

timme

HSC
Hey, i'm thinking of doing these subjects next year:
-Economics
- Legal Studies
- Business Studies
- Ext 1 Maths
- Ext 1 English

Do you think that this is okay? I really have no idea :(
The whole scaling system throws me :cold:
I'm aiming for a high UAI (or ATAR now). I'm thinking of doing a Law degree

I'd love to hear your opinions on this matter =]

timme

HSC
Okay well, I'm coming first in Commerce - I've thrashed everyone in it; i'm the only one in my class who recieved a "band 6" in it. I'm coming second in Maths and for English i'm in the A's.

For Science i'm coming about 5th but the thing is that i don't really enjoy it. Do you think that i will be disadvantaged in not choosing a Science, based on the whole scaling system?

timw7845

Somewhere near the mountains... somewhere near the
HSC
not really.. economics, legal, ext 1 english and ext 1 maths would be worth a fair bit.. not sure bout BS

legal will either make u love law or hate it for life...

it has patches of really boring dry crap but has its moments with interesting stuff

economics is alright, if you are good at maths it might click for you, though if it doesnt its very confusing...

spence

HSC
not really.. economics, legal, ext 1 english and ext 1 maths would be worth a fair bit.. not sure bout BS

legal will either make u love law or hate it for life...

it has patches of really boring dry crap but has its moments with interesting stuff

economics is alright, if you are good at maths it might click for you, though if it doesnt its very confusing...
There is basically no maths in HSC economics

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay well, I'm coming first in Commerce - I've thrashed everyone in it; i'm the only one in my class who recieved a "band 6" in it. I'm coming second in Maths and for English i'm in the A's.

For Science i'm coming about 5th but the thing is that i don't really enjoy it. Do you think that i will be disadvantaged in not choosing a Science, based on the whole scaling system?
If you don't like science, then don't choose it.
You are more likely to do well in subjects that you enjoy. The scaling system will reward you if you do well, but drag you down if you do badly.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
If you don't like science, then don't choose it.
You are more likely to do well in subjects that you enjoy. The scaling system will reward you if you do well, but drag you down if you do badly.
QFT.

But if you want to play the system, select another subject that you'd enjoy and ace instead of business studies....

timme

HSC
Ahk right. I just don't want to make the wrong decision because i know of people who are doing their HSC this year and they wish that they could choose their subjects all over again because they made a wrong decision.

Yeah, ive heard that Business Studies doesn't really scale well...i was talking to my deputy this afternoon and she was saying that it would be pointless to do business if i was doing economics. She was suggesting that i should do both Modern History along with Ancient History in combination with Economics and Legal Studies.

I've heard really negative responces from both histories :S

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Economics was boring and dull for me. But if you're ripping commerce go for it. I heard that Business Studies scales prety shit. If you're thinking of changing any of your subjects change that one.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
If everyone did economics in highschool we wouldn't be in such a financially fucked up world

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
Ahk right. I just don't want to make the wrong decision because i know of people who are doing their HSC this year and they wish that they could choose their subjects all over again because they made a wrong decision.

Yeah, ive heard that Business Studies doesn't really scale well...i was talking to my deputy this afternoon and she was saying that it would be pointless to do business if i was doing economics. She was suggesting that i should do both Modern History along with Ancient History in combination with Economics and Legal Studies.

I've heard really negative responces from both histories :S
Do what you think you'll enjoy. You'll get an opportunity to change subjects at the beginning of next year if needed.
I originally chose business studies instead of ancient history, and after a week I dropped business.

And if you like history, then go for it. Ancient history is really dull at the beginning, but now we're learning about egypt and greece and is really interesting. I'm not really sure what modern is like, but from what I've heard, its pretty interesting.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Do what you think you'll enjoy. You'll get an opportunity to change subjects at the beginning of next year if needed.
I originally chose business studies instead of ancient history, and after a week I dropped business.

And if you like history, then go for it. Ancient history is really dull at the beginning, but now we're learning about egypt and greece and is really interesting. I'm not really sure what modern is like, but from what I've heard, its pretty interesting.
Hehe, i love modern history :D

If you're into history especially wars and learning about how politicians and military generals are stupid idiots most of the time, then modern is for you :)

timme

HSC
Cool yeah, I guess it comes down to the person and their own preferences. Thanks all for your help :)

occer

HSC
N/A
I don't think that the Histories scale very well, but I like them and will do Modern I think.

timme

HSC
Ahh right.. Hmm if it doesn't scale well then i don't think that i will do it because the only thing that intrests me in History is Nazi Germany - you could say that i am obsessed :p

What about Physics? Hard subject?

occer

HSC
N/A
Doing Nazi Race Policy right now. :D

Do it if you're interested in it, scaling isn't everything.

http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php

(It also could have changed since then OR you could do History Extension).

Chemistry is also meant to be a killer, I don't know about Physics.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Ahh right.. Hmm if it doesn't scale well then i don't think that i will do it because the only thing that intrests me in History is Nazi Germany - you could say that i am obsessed :p

What about Physics? Hard subject?
Physics is easier than what most people perceive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)