• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I need help for next years subjects :) (3 Viewers)

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
what skool yo?

aww serious sciences are crazy next year manng! Junior science sucks balls =(

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Don't worry much about scaling because: if you choose a lower scaling subject then it's more likely easier. Therefore it's more likely that you'll do well in it.
Duh.

I'm ashamsed to say that when choosing my subjects I dismissed the 'do what you love' advice as corny bull shit. But I now think it is very good advice. It's so much easier to study and do well in something you love. Might sound obvious but it flew over my head when I was choosing. I wouldn't do business studies, especially if you're doing economics.
All your other subjects in ur original post look good. I love modern. It does scale well. I think you should consider doing modern. Eng ext is great - buggest bludge of the hsc.

Definetly consider doing history ext. It's very good. It only starts in year 12. I started doing modern and ancient and dropped ancietn for year 12 and picked up ext history. I found ancient really boring but ppl say it gets better in yr 12. But hey you get a lot more work for ancient in yr 12 as well. Only do ancient if you have a passion for it, because the amount of work required for yr 12 ancient is overwhelming.

I do extension english. ext hist and ext maths.
I'm struggling in ext maths because there's too much hw for everything. Year 10 maths was a hundred times easier for me than hsc maths. But maybe its the fact that we do 3 topics at once and I no longer do math homework.

In history extension you study histiography - the history of history ie not studying history (what happened in the past) but how past events have been represented by historians. You also study 'What is history?' and you look at how the study of history has evolved - from Herodotus - the father of history - to Post modernism. A huge part of the internal assessment is your own project - an essay. You also do the topic your teacher chooses - we do convict women but hardly anyone does that. A lot of ppl do John F Kennedy for example.

Pity I can't spell 'definetly'.

Last edited:
HSC
if you're ripping commerce then business studies either become:

a. the dullest, boring, pointless, stupid subject ever and you'll continue to ace it. (was the case for me, i dropped straight after half yrlies) the first topic nature of business is basically consumers and finance and business enrichment part of commerce. VERY repetitive.

b. a breeze - you've done it before and still like it. you'll ace it.

but then theres the third option that u do crap for whatever reason which i cannot see happening seeing as you're coming first in commerce.

business studies also scale very bad.

ben150891

HSC
Don't worry about the scaling system when choosing your subjects. Just choose the subjects that you want to do and do the best that you can. there is no point picking a subject because it scales well because you might not do very well in it. if you want my opinion i wouldn't do all three of eco bs and legal because i think that would be boring you need more of a variety. But if you are positive that thats the direction you want for your job than do it. but i just suggest more variety for if your change your mind

HSC
oh.. if you're doing economics, dont do business. one or the other. economics is waaaaaaay more interesting and scales better. almost as good as sciences i think.

lynton

HSC
Theres no point doing subjects that scale well that you dont actually like, or dont think you will go well in. Do subjects that you will enjoy because it is likely you will go well in them. Scaling doesnt really matter if ur going good in a course anyway.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Theres no point doing subjects that scale well that you dont actually like, or dont think you will go well in. Do subjects that you will enjoy because it is likely you will go well in them. Scaling doesnt really matter if ur going good in a course anyway.
This is very true. However, you always have to take some scaling into consideration, maybe doing a few subjects you really enjoy with some high scaled subjects is a good idea

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
This is very true. However, you always have to take some scaling into consideration, maybe doing a few subjects you really enjoy with some high scaled subjects is a good idea
I have to agree. But i suppose it depends on what you want to do. If you want to go to a really good university, then high scaling subjects would certainly help but only if you enjoy them. So i suppose if you think you would even slightly enjoy a high scaling subject over another subject and you are looking to go to Uni then probably going with the former would be better.

sunshinegirl

HSC
Scaling is a lie. do what you want to do and what youre good at, and the marks will follow..i personally reckon that you need more balance in terms of subjects, but nobody knows you like you know yourself, so do what's best for you.

HSC
Are you including Advanced English (I presume you'll do Advanced seeing as you want to do extension) and 2U Maths? Pretty sure you have to choose those to be able to do the extension subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)