• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Will Karmichael Hunt make it in the AFL? (1 Viewer)

Will Hunt make it in AFL?

• Yes

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
Hunt confirms AFL code switch - NRL - Fox Sports

Karmichael Hunt to depart Brisbane Broncos and join AFL

By staff writers
July 29, 2009 Brisbane Broncos rugby league star Karmichael Hunt is switching codes to play Australian rules after joining the Gold Coast Football Club, which joins the AFL competition in 2011.
He is expected to play rugby union and return to the Gold Coast in May 2010 to commence his development program with the Club.

It is the first time a rugby league international has switched to play Australian Rules.

Hunt said he wanted to stay playing sport at the highest level in Queensland.

“If I had to leave Brisbane then I preferred to change codes rather than change teams as I did not want to play against the Brisbane Broncos,” he said.

“For me this is about the challenge of playing AFL at the highest level. The Gold Coast Football Club has given me a great opportunity to be part of its journey to AFL in 2011.'

Hunt also said he isn't expecting any backlash from Broncos teammates and agreed his decision would shock many people.

"They'll be surprised, everyone will be surprised, even I was surprised," said Hunt.

Hunt sent text messages to his Broncos teammates and coach Ivan Henjak before dropping the bombshell news at a Gold Coast media conference on Wednesday. The 22-year-old also sent a text to former Broncos coach Wayne Bennett.

"I don't think there will be any backlash," said Hunt.

"They are all my mates and they'll still be my mates.

"I haven't done everything in rugby league but I've done everything I've wanted to do in the game, including playing 11 Tests, Origins and winning a grand final."

Gold Coast Football Club Chief Executive Officer Travis Auld said the recruitment of Hunt is a great coup for the football club.

“Karmichael Hunt is one of the most exciting sportsmen in Australian sport and a natural-born AFL footballer. We think he can be one of the elite players of the AFL. His potential to play the game has been confirmed by our recruiting staff led by Scott Clayton and the AFL’s talent division,” Auld said.

Hunt played some Australian Rules as a schoolboy in Brisbane, attracting the attention of Queensland AFL scouts, before joining the Broncos as a 17-year-old in 2004.

GCFC Coach Guy McKenna said he was very excited and impressed with what he has seen of Hunt.

“I’ve followed State of Origin, I know it’s not AFL football, but seeing how he moves, seeing how he hits, he’s going to bring another dimension to an AFL football team,” he said.

“Powerful, strong, quick and probably averages 23 tackles in a game. We’re lucky to average 40 in a whole side. He’s built for that, built for the physical demands of AFL football.

“Technically we are going to have do some work with him but that’s no different to some of the Irish players who have crossed over. We are probably at an advantage given he played competitive AFL football as a teenager, so he’s someone with a history in the game," McKenna said.

The move will intensify the fierce turf war between the strongest football codes in Australia, with rugby league in danger of suffering further raids on its most talented players, especially if Hunt makes a successful transition.

Fellow Test players Greg Inglis, Billy Slater and Israel Folau are other obvious targets for AFL clubs.

The Auckland-born fullback has since played 10 State of Origin matches for Queensland and 11 Tests for Australia.

With Hunt's contract with the Broncos up at the end of the 2009 NRL season, the 22-year-old's future has been a hot topic in recent months.

He knocked back a $1.2 million three-year deal from the Broncos earlier this year and his manager David Riolo has been overseas looking at his options.
Brisbane Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen says he's shocked to hear of star player Hunt's switch.

Cullen told ABC radio he had only heard media reports of the switch and Hunt's management had not been on touch with him.

"I was quite shocked," he said.

"We've had him since he was 15 and he's been playing with the club for the last five seasons.

"He's a 100-game player now. He's played Origin, he played for Australia, so he's been a success story in a very short period of time."

Cullen said it was a "coup" for the AFL.

"Good luck to them - they've snared a fine athlete," he said.

Cullen said he did not believe it would take fans away from league in Brisbane.

"With all due respect, someone will come along and take his place - they may not be immediately as good, but it's two different codes and I think (the fans) will stick with the codes," he said.

"He's someone who will be very attractive."

Cullen said there would be a Broncos position available for Hunt if the AFL did not work out.
with AAP

Will he be a success or not?

I say yes. He is a superb athlete by all accounts. He has a background in the game and some of his skills are transferrable. It honestly isnt that hard to adapt and learn the skills neccessary to play AFL. Trust me.

I can see him playing in the halfback line or onball. People keep saying he will struggle to get the fitness to play AFL lol what are they smoking, one of the fittest men in NRL. In both games, the elite are pretty close fitness wise, and a player like him will not take long to gain the fitness required if he doesnt start out with it.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
:eek:

I thought he was going to change to Japanese Rugby. It would be weird to see Hunt in AFL. He has a good kicking game and his position is fullback so he wouldn't have trouble catching the bombs.

Charizard

HSC
Won't be a star, just a decent player.

Rugby league players have a pretty limited skillset, especially in tactics.

Mozza91

HSC
Won't be a star, just a decent player.

Rugby league players have a pretty limited skillset, especially in tactics.
As opposed to fumbleballers who can't tackle, run the ball or pass it properly.
There is alot more to set play in RL then there is in kick the ball towards the goal in AFL
He'll get bored as hell pretty quickly though

-Anfernee-

HSC
:eek:

I thought he was going to change to Japanese Rugby. It would be weird to see Hunt in AFL. He has a good kicking game and his position is fullback so he wouldn't have trouble catching the bombs.

Nah, that was Craig Wing, dude is pretty desperate with his financal problems.

Will karmichael Hunt make it in the AFL? maybe he should try making it in the NRL first...

No way he'll make it, he's not tall enough, doesn't have the right body for it, his arms are too short. He'll be back to league in a few years....premier league that is.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
fuck off out of the thread if you dont care you complete downers

u-borat

Banned
HSC
There is alot more to set play in RL then there is in kick the ball towards the goal in AFL
epitome of objectivity

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
shut the fuck up

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
For all the predicative NRL bashing of Hunt and AFL, no one has really thought of the simple reality of the decision. He has won a premiership. He has won numerous state of origin series. He has played for his country. Law of diminishing marginal returns would be a pretty big factor in sports. Once you win one, the desire to get another isn't as great. You have already acheived more than the vast majority of players to win a premiership, or state of origin series, or represent your country.

So if you are 22, have won all there is to win in the game, what would you do? Take a three year, $1.2m deal from league, or a $3m, three year deal from the AFL? As for joining the Gold Coast, NRL protectionists are declaring he won't win anything there because new franchsises are not successful on the pitch initially. Ignoring the fact that Melbourne won the NRL comp in their second year and St George Illawarra made the grand final in their first.

Once again, the NRL administration pales in regards to the AFL. The $3m they have spent on Hunt has been recouped already with the exposure they have generated.

Dr. Oyster

HSC
Wonder what position he'll play? I reckon playing as a forward goalsneak might suit him. The bunny-hops might help him there..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)