• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Career Choices (Engineering/Architect/Entrepreneur) (1 Viewer)

The_81

HSC
N/A
Ok well I am 16 and turn 17 on the 9th of January. I am currently doing a Diploma in Engineering Design (Civil) and am jobless. As the year goes by I have found myself running a number of different career scenarios. I have an interest in both engineering and architecture. Currently aiming towards Civil Construction/Structural Engineer in bridges.. mainly because it pays. If I am to follow up on my engineering path I intend to do a double degree in Engineering and Business.
An idea for employment is obtaining a cadetship which is basically an apprenticeship.

I have always had the goal to one day own my own business. And am always coming up with great ideas (Which I have approved by peers and adults), but with all businesses got to have money to make money.

So here are my options.

1. Go onto my Advanced Diploma and possibly do some part time University stuff.

2. Go straight to University next year

3. Finish this year and go out into the workforce, save money and start my own business.

**Also as lots of my business ideas involve computers/networks/technology if there is anyone in these fields I wouldn't mind having a chat **

TheStallion

HSC
I'm a little confused. Your profile thingy says you did your HSC last year, but you're only turning 17 this year?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
You will have alot more credit as an Entrepreneur if you do a degree at university and you will be exposed to people with similar intrests - there is no reason why you can't start a company while at university (I'm MD of one myself.) Do a degree that you enjoy ontop of all things - that being said engineering is a very good degree to gain leadership skills (says the CEO of CSIRO.) If possible do first year commerce subjects (management, accounting) aswell - these are the ones you'll use the most (says a synergy manager of some company I interviewed.)

The_81

HSC
N/A
Yes I finished last year. I managed to obtain a position in TAFE instead of doing grade 11. I believed this would be a better option. I turn 17 next year haha :p

Studentleader that is fantastic information. Exactly what I have been searching for.

So should I go straight to University?

And just a question in regards to architecture. It is such a vague career. What do they actually do? Is/Will it be overrun by asians that can draw crazily?

My passion is in new ideas and concepts in both building and technology. Am I on the right path or should I switch to architecture?

Sorry if my questions are scattered

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Yes I finished last year. I managed to obtain a position in TAFE instead of doing grade 11. I believed this would be a better option. I turn 17 next year haha :p

Studentleader that is fantastic information. Exactly what I have been searching for.

So should I go straight to University?

And just a question in regards to architecture. It is such a vague career. What do they actually do? Is/Will it be overrun by asians that can draw crazily?

My passion is in new ideas and concepts in both building and technology. Am I on the right path or should I switch to architecture?

Sorry if my questions are scattered
Problem I see with architecture is you have to do a masters degree to practice as one and if you are at the stage now where you are 'sick' of school and want to just go and work/design stuff you probably will struggle a bit. I'm not sure how architecture works too much though since its such an artistic field I don't know how you can really make things stand out enough to start your own business untill you get ALOT of experience - and chances are what you want to build will be different to what a client wants.

The_81

HSC
N/A
Yea fair enough.
Well I live on the Gold Coast QLD. And up here its only 5 years to get your masters in Architecture at Griffith University. I just think with the buzz in architecture it will become an occupation difficult to get decent work and pay in.

HSC
N/A
haha..architecture is run by 'asians with crazing drawing skills' ?
Good architecture is generated by artistic savants who have the backing of slightly senile billionairs. Bad architecture is generated by 'builder'/entrapuerners bogans of rural Australia (i.e you). Anyway architecture is dead art form anyway, its become sort of 'graphic design'; any idiot with photoshop can get away with it.

If you are really serious about becoming a proper Architect the last thing you would be doing is 'Engineering diploma at TAFE/trying to make a small business to get $'.............you should be trying to submerge yourself in some underground art movement in Europe or else going to the most prestigous University you can find....

The_81

HSC
N/A
Fcking ditch the crap guys.

I am still only 16 so what if I am doing an engineering course in Tafe. It is nothing really. I just have a curiosity to architecture. How does that make me bogan. Your just a stereotypical twat.

Ok so on another forum I someone has brought to my attention Industrial Design. I noticed course quite sometime ago. Maybe someone on here could elaborate on the concepts of the course/courses and job prospects?

I don't understand how you could say that what I am doing doesn't interest me. I'd much rather do some serious research and source information from other people to make sure I am definate with my career path. How many people do you know that were definate that when they started that course was what they wanted to do. Then when they got there they realised they made a horrible mistake? Doubt they would like the time wasted and the debt they had created. Fair call?

The_81

HSC
N/A
I am researching people don't think I am just asking like a noob.
Pretty convinced on Industrial Design. Sounds like a sketchy career. But more to what you make of it.

Any info on where this course is offered apart from. UWS. I live on Gold Coast :(

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
Dude.

Waht do you actually want to do.
engineering or architecture?

The_81

HSC
N/A
I don't know hence the questions :p

I am interested heaps in lots of problem solving and design. Figured it was quite obvious

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
Achitecture is like artsy, creativity.

Engineering is LOTs of problem solving and design.

Take your pick, i would suggest engineering.

If you do want to do it, stick with tafe, diploma of eng design are more valuable than you think. You should be able to land a cadetship pretty easily with it. Also it is a stepping stone into B Eng.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
Lol from an engineering perspective, architecture is basically art.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
exactly
art on a grand scale
why would you get angry about that?

The_81

HSC
N/A
The one thing you have said that actually consists of some factual truth. Engineers consider architecture to be art. "From my knowledge" architecture does involve lots of engineering aspects. But that's where it ends. They design with the knowledge of engineering procedures. However that is passed onto engineers for calculations right down to the drop of a hairpin on the floor in a building. ROFL

So since this Industrial Design course is only new to Australia. I am curious as to how big it is overseas..? And the job prospects.. again may be similar to my broad theory of architecture.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
lol everything i said consisted of factual truth
im doing a B End via a cadetship

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
So since this Industrial Design course is only new to Australia. I am curious as to how big it is overseas..? And the job prospects.. again may be similar to my broad theory of architecture.
Industrial Design requires an exceptional eye for detail and strong networking skills. You need to have the design skills, but you unless you can sell yourself and promote your designs, then your not going to have much luck with building a career from it. Unless you're good at designing with profits in mind, then it's quite difficult to get into the top companies (ie. Breville, Samsung etc etc).

If you look at a kettle and believe you could design it for easier use, improved aesthetics, different materials that lower costs...then you would enjoy Industrial Design. If you want to draw things without seeing how they could be put into production and sold realistically, then it's probably not for you.

Bachelor of Industrial Design / What can I study? / The University of Newcastle, Australia

Last edited:

The_81

HSC
N/A
Well looking at my first post. Even my title basically puts forward the things that industrial designers perform. They design it (Architect), Make it happen (Engineering, Sell themselves (Entrepreneur).

EDIT: Wasn't keeping up with the thread. Currently looking at QUT

Surprised that I obtained the main information I needed off a small car forum. HAHA

Last edited:

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
You will have alot more credit as an Entrepreneur if you do a degree at university and you will be exposed to people with similar intrests - there is no reason why you can't start a company while at university (I'm MD of one myself.)

Agreed. Just go to ASIC, register a company for $200, be a sole director and shareholder.

Anyway you will have credit if you're rich. Not much credit for university degrees I must say. Anyone can get into university. Are you really going to get credit for doing a Bachelor of Arts at Whoop Whooop University?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)