• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Correlation between ATAR (degrees) and future salaries? (2 Viewers)

heb10v39

HSC
Hey, just took a gap year, now deciding on subjects to do in 2010.

Just wondering if ATAR requirements and difficulty of subjects (in terms of getting into them) is directly related to future earnings in jobs.

I know for sure degrees like medicine and law (which need very high marks) are definately in the highest income brackets etc. but does this mean jobs which require degrees of lower ATAR (arts, sciences) are lowly paid?

Just asking because I am hoping for a decently paid job when I graduate (hopefully over 100k/year in the long run and maybe 40k/yr starting?) Will say just a economics or commerce degree from UNSW suffice? or do i need a much better degree in order to earn that?

I'm not trying to be greedy or anything, just would like to know which degrees will result in my ability to get a job with decent pay and whether my low ATAR (converted from uai) of ~92 will get me into such a degree

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

spence

HSC
Cutoffs have nothing to do with future salaries

Epic

HSC
Not necesarily...

Take architecture as an example, relatively difficult to get into (USyd, UNSW, UTS), relatively low salary upon graduation.

Just choose what you're interested in. :)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Interested in money? Become a professional gambler.
Honestly if I dropped out and fucked up my life, I'd become a poker player or something.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Bachelor of Computer and Mathematical Sciences (ATAR = 80) -> 100k out if I get a trading job with Optiver (D average, interest in financial markets, etc.)

Thats a three year degree compared to law and medicine which wouldn't make 100k for a while I believe.

izzy88

HSC
Bachelor of Computer and Mathematical Sciences (ATAR = 80) -> 100k out if I get a trading job with Optiver (D average, interest in financial markets, etc.)

Thats a three year degree compared to law and medicine which wouldn't make 100k for a while I believe.
yeah i know someone that does maths and has a 100k job lined up for next year...and a science degree isn't particularly difficult to get into.

heb10v39

HSC
Thanks for replies, but im not really interested in computing/pure maths degrees.

Would it be possible to achieve such salaries with an economics or an arts degree? (my interests lie here)

Thanks!

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
there is correlation, but its not really a strong one. your salary depends upon ur own abilities. but there are some degrees that just cant make those big salaries no matter what. e.g. medical science which requires a reasonably high ATAR at the top universities but in terms of salary, you make about 40k starting and eventually rise to 60/70k by ur mid 30s.
but it depends if you mean future salary as long run or short run. i.e. 2/3 years out of uni or 20 years out of uni. short run, its things like IT/computer science/dentistry/engineering (there are others but cant think of them at this hour). long run, probably dentistry/medicine/law (cant think of anymore).
so in that respect, there is a weak correlation in that the last 3 require very high cutoffs.
the other stuff like commerce/finance/economics def depends upon ur personal ability and who you know. its highly variable.

now, we are talking about just ur average professional here not about the 1 in 10,000 ppl who make it big because of some business venture/invention.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
there is correlation, but its not really a strong one. your salary depends upon ur own abilities. but there are some degrees that just cant make those big salaries no matter what. e.g. medical science which requires a reasonably high ATAR at the top universities but in terms of salary, you make about 40k starting and eventually rise to 60/70k by ur mid 30s.
but it depends if you mean future salary as long run or short run. i.e. 2/3 years out of uni or 20 years out of uni. short run, its things like IT/computer science/dentistry/engineering (there are others but cant think of them at this hour). long run, probably dentistry/medicine/law (cant think of anymore).
so in that respect, there is a weak correlation in that the last 3 require very high cutoffs.
the other stuff like commerce/finance/economics def depends upon ur personal ability and who you know. its highly variable.

now, we are talking about just ur average professional here not about the 1 in 10,000 ppl who make it big because of some business venture/invention.
Lol you tool, you list your University offers in your sig?? Lame.

Also, at OP, arts generally has minimal career prospects, and thus low average salaries.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Thanks for replies, but im not really interested in computing/pure maths degrees.

Would it be possible to achieve such salaries with an economics or an arts degree? (my interests lie here)

Thanks!
Economics is pretty mathsy

RIPYSL

HSC
Unfortunately no...

I say this as one of the 'rare breed' of people that decided to pursue an unconventionally high UAI/ATAR cut-off degree that has no correlation with potential future salaries.

I'm studying Visual Communications Design/International Studies at UTS, and the cut-off for that has been as high as 99.9 in the past. (I believe this year, B Interior Design / Int Studies is 99.9 instead)

I guess Interior designers are paid better than Fashion designers domestically. It'd be a different story if Sydney was the next Milan, Paris or NY.

Salaries in design are relatively low earlier in the career, however, depending on your talent, success and recognition, your earnings are extremely varied.

The point is, pursue what you are interested in, and let the monetary return of your efforts roll in naturally. :)

Last edited:

Andi0390

HSC
It doesn't directly correlate to difficulty or salary but many people apply for degrees which offer a higher salary on graduation, therefore creating a higher demand of the course, and raising the UAI.

It depends on what you want to do. I know multiple people who do not have degrees at all and earn over 100k a year. If you are talented, personable and dedicated then you'll be able to work your way up regardless.

Medicine is a more guaranteed course, as there is a shortage of doctors and they are almost always highly paid. If you become a practicing lawyer then you can earn lots of money, but a lot of people graduating with a law degree do not practice, and many work in jobs along side people with Arts degrees for the same wage.

No one can tell you what your future may be. You could do a Law degree and end up on 40 grand a year doing something or other, or you could do an Arts degree and end up as a CEO of something.

Choose a course because you enjoy it and are good at it, not because it makes you heaps of money.

Go become a miner.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
What sorts of jobs do they do?
Don’t need to have a job. You can run your own business and earn much much more without a degree, many people have done it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)