• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Coles Thread (2 Viewers)

bdude

HSC
Quick question,

Do you guys know how much an under 16 casual would get payed p/h? Sister's boss said I could work at her Coles but currently about to start at Woolies and such, if the pay's similiar might consider...

Would appreciate it,

mikey
Just realised I forgot to include the August payrise, it's now $10.64532/hr mon-fri and $15.08087/hr sunday

TheStallion

HSC
@bdude - Pretty sure that's the pay for over 16, I get about $11 an hour at age 17.

empirestrike

HSC
can anyone link me the nsw sda coles awards? i'd like to have the 26th (saturday) september off, and was wondering how much notice i need to give for a part time employee to have it off? i was told 1 month but someone said 2 weeks (which i think is correct)

onholidays

HSC
Hey!
I have an interview with the general store manager tomorrow but he didn't mention what type it was. This isn't a group interview right? It'll just be 1 on 1?

Is there anything unexpected I should know about Coles interviews, like do they throw unexpected q's at you, or should I just expect a general 20 min job interview?

And if they ask me what dept i wish to work in, which in your opinion is the best dept? In terms of work conditions, work variety, etc, etc?

Lots of thanks! I really really want this job!

HSC
Should be a one-on-one interview if it is with the SM, have you been to a group interview yet?

I'd prepare answers to common questions, just so that you are confident at the outset. But do expect some job specific behavioural questions to come up.

onholidays

HSC
Should be a one-on-one interview if it is with the SM, have you been to a group interview yet?

I'd prepare answers to common questions, just so that you are confident at the outset. But do expect some job specific behavioural questions to come up.
No group interview yet. I'm expecting I won't be going to one since I already have an interview with the sm.

bdude

HSC
@bdude - Pretty sure that's the pay for over 16, I get about $11 an hour at age 17.
That's what I meant, 16 and over, sorry if I was unclear.

Re: self checkouts - there were a heap of listings in the CEL seeking self-checkout coaches, so the rollout is continuing.

HSC
No group interview yet. I'm expecting I won't be going to one since I already have an interview with the sm.
Yeah that should be allright. By the sounds of things on this thread not everyone goes to a group interview.

But this means that you're more likely to get Behavioural questions in your 1-1 interview than if you had a group interview.

bdude

HSC
Does anybody know if it's possible to get a replacement staff discount card? (a.k.a. Coles For You card)

TheStallion

HSC
I haven't the slightest idea where mine is... did I even get one? How much is the discount, 5%?

But just ask your manager for a replacement, should be easy enough to get a new one, but they might charge you a few bucks for it.

jirwin

HSC
Does anyone know if we are getting new shirts? Theres been a rumor that we are getting a light brown coloured polo shirt as seen on the cover of the last Coles employees magazine (can't remember the name of it). Also meant to be getting new name badges that only say 'COLES' on it - no 'Save everyday..'

bdude

HSC
Does anyone know if we are getting new shirts? Theres been a rumor that we are getting a light brown coloured polo shirt as seen on the cover of the last Coles employees magazine (can't remember the name of it). Also meant to be getting new name badges that only say 'COLES' on it - no 'Save everyday..'
I've heard the rumors go round a few months ago about the light brown shirts after we had the bar that runs across the top of the registers (where all the lights/numbers are) being painted wth a light brown.

Yes, there are new namebadges coming out with just 'coles' and no orb any more, I got mine a while ago.

jirwin

HSC
I've heard the rumors go round a few months ago about the light brown shirts after we had the bar that runs across the top of the registers (where all the lights/numbers are) being painted wth a light brown.

Yes, there are new namebadges coming out with just 'coles' and no orb any more, I got mine a while ago.
Ah yea, our bar across the registers was repainted a light brown too - that's when the rumor started, but since that employee magazine with the people on the front cover in those shirts, its still being mentioned on the odd occasion.

I'm kind of looking forward to Polo shirts - I'm sick of getting my shirt caught in the bag holders, I'm surprised I haven't lost a button yet! I do think shirts look more professional then Polos though.

I've seen the new name badge on some people in my store but no one can tell me when I'm getting it.

bdude

HSC
I've seen the new name badge on some people in my store but no one can tell me when I'm getting it.
I don't think anyone knows, it's not that big a change they're probably just doing a few stores in batches.

Tragesty

HSC
(for the record, I decided to post this in both the Woolworths thread and here).

My sister works at a Coles about fifteen minutes away, and her manager offered me a job (filled in the paperwork today). Now I'm thinking of taking it, as I currently work at Woolworths Deli (which isn't really bad, but I'd prefer checkout) and my sister's manager is offering me a checkout job.

Now the problem is, I'm not sure what to do;

I can take the Coles job (which is further away then my current Woolworths store where I work at deli) and thus working at an area I'd more prefer over Deli.

I can ask my manager of Woolworths to move to Cashiers and see how it goes.

I can not take the Coles job, and stick to Deli.

I'm not sure how much Coles pay rates are for a fifteen year old casual, so I'm not sure if that may be a factor (if Woolworths rates are substantially higher for example, I'd stay here).

Anyone care to help me with this? I know working at both is impossible (whether it be having two jobs as a student or working at two competitors, which I'm sure is illegal in some ways).

Hope someone can help,

Mikey.

bdude

HSC
15 y.o. casual rate @ Coles is currently $9.5807/hr ($13.5727/sunday $21.5566/pub. hol.)

I guess it depends how much you'd rather checkouts as opposed to staying at Woolworths.

If you would much rather be on checkouts than in the Deli then I'd take the Coles job because you know that you've got a checkout position rather than trying to convince the managers at Woolworths to give you a transfer.

Depending on the employment situation/roster the CSM at Coles might be able to roster you on shifts that are the same/near your sister's so that you can travel together.

Tragesty

HSC
Do you know if its illegal or I can face dismissal if they find out I work at Coles (Woolworths that is, or vice versa). Some people told me it's illegal, but told me it isn't. I never remember signing any contracts (do casual employees even have to sign a contract?) so I'm not sure.

bdude

HSC
Well I know someone at my Coles who does 8hours/week at Coles and works at a Foodworks store other times. But I'm not sure if Coles would mind you working at such a direct competitor.

You'd love working on Coles' checkouts, from what I've read in the Woolworths thread, Coles is a bit more autonomous (you're allowed to enter RTC items without supervisor permission!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)