Art at University? (1 Viewer)

Aixis

HSC
Next year I'm probably going to move to the Gold Coast and do a bachelor of Visual Media at Griffith. This is mediocre. I don't think there is enough info that I can find to see if it's a course I'd REALLY like to do...
I've decided I'm going to have a shot at doing something in the art industry... I'm not really sure what, I just know I want to pursue my interests.
I want to learn to draw better and learn to use photoshop better... Those being my main goals, should I just do a life drawing class at tafe and do something else at uni, or is there a general course/special uni where these things are taught?

Thanks for your time reading...

Aixis

HSC
I'm not sure what I want to be.. Graphic designer is probably close though. Something between that and advertising.

Aixis

HSC
If you're already planning to move to SE QLD, you should look into the Queensland College of Arts. It's also part of Griffith, btw.

Really? The only other universities I've been able to find around where I'm living are like.. Southern cross... And no way I'm going there. Haven't heard of QCA.. I'll have to look it up. I hope it's connected with UAC and not QTAC. Damn late fees.

How is it a part of griffith?

EDIT: Turns out it's at the southbank campus... I think that is in Brisbane? That would mean an hours drive there and back for each day I attended. Which would be fine if I wasn't poor. Still might be possible if there is like.. a student discount on trains or something. It is joined to QTAC and I think there might be an application cut off date... Definitely something worth looking into though, but the travel is a bit of a worry to me.

Last edited:
HSC
Really? The only other universities I've been able to find around where I'm living are like.. Southern cross... And no way I'm going there. Haven't heard of QCA.. I'll have to look it up. I hope it's connected with UAC and not QTAC. Damn late fees.

How is it a part of griffith?
It's QTAC, sorry.

If you don't want to apply for QTAC, you might want to enrol at GC then do an internal transfer after a year.

It is one of the Griffith Campuses. There are five. QCA at Southbank, Nathan, Mount Gravatt, Gold Coast and Logan.

I currently study at both GC and Nathan.

Edit: I thought you were moving, hence the suggestion that you might choose to live elsewhere.

Last edited:

Aixis

HSC
It's QTAC, sorry.

If you don't want to apply for QTAC, you might want to enrol at GC then do an internal transfer after a year.

It is one of the Griffith Campuses. There are five. QCA at Southbank, Nathan, Mount Gravatt, Gold Coast and Logan.

I currently study at both GC and Nathan.

Edit: I thought you were moving, hence the suggestion that you might choose to live elsewhere.

It's ok that it is through QTAC, just means more money.

That's a good point. Even if I COULD apply for QAC right now I don't think I'd get the mark for it anyway. I think the courses I'm interested in are at around 83, and I'll be lucky to get a high 70. So I might end up having to transfer anyway. No problems there.

It's at the southbank one. I'm planning on going to the south port one and doing some media thing next year, then after that transferring to the southbank campus would be excellent.

And I am moving, but the place I'm going to is sort of a one off thing. I couldn't afford to change my mind and just live on campus or somewhere near southbank. I don't mind the train ride anyway. But my main problem is as always my HSC results. Which would probably fall short of QCA no matter what. :(

HSC
If you put BArts as a preference, you can do a lot of related courses (~66 UAI or something). If you maintain a credit average or higher, you will probably be able to transfer to the QCA next year. Good news for you - the practical Arts courses are on GC campus, not Nathan.

Aixis

HSC
If you put BArts as a preference, you can do a lot of related courses (~66 UAI or something). If you maintain a credit average or higher, you will probably be able to transfer to the QCA next year. Good news for you - the practical Arts courses are on GC campus, not Nathan.
BA is my last preference at the moment but it's definitely on there as an emergency course. I'm fairly confident I can get into the GC B of visual media (I think it's digital media from next year) which is good too, and I may end up sticking with it. I figure I'll be able to do a drawing course and photoshop tutorial at TAFE if I want to as a hobby.

Geoffo11

HSC
No art degree can ever show that you are good at art. You could have attended 5 art schools and Uni degrees and still not be able to draw or paint. The only time you would need such a resume in art is working for a company (which you could expect to be interviewed and have a portfolio with you) or if you want to be a high school art teacher.
But otherwise, I personally think a Uni degree in art is useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)