IRP- Topics and Tips (1 Viewer)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Possible Topics
  • How does a sole parent family impact on the wellbeing of an adolescent?
  • What factors are hindering children from being physically active and consequently causing an increase in obesity levels?
  • How does the media affect teenaged girls perception of body image?
  • Whatare the factors that influence the number of road accidents and fatalities relating to makes (aged between 17-25)?
  • How does the media impact on teenage girls' physical and socioemotional wellbeing?
  • How does domestic violence affect the wellbeing of an individual and family?
  • Investigate the available facilities of four different childcare centres for children between the ages of four and five to determine the outcome of these facilities on the child's wellbeing.
  • How does mental and verbal bullying affect the emotional, social and psychological wellbeing of an adolescent?
  • What is the effect of a newborn child on the parents wellbeing?
  • How does television impact negatively upon a child's physical and socioemotional wellbeing?
  • How does marriage affect an individuals socio-emotional, economic and physical wellbeing?
  • What are the risk factors associated with heart disease and how is it being prevented?
  • What pressure is placed on athletes in ice skating and how does this affect their wellbeing?
  • What is the community (local, state, national) doing to overcome and prevent obesity?
  • What is the effect of puberty on an adolescents wellbeing?
  • How does a chronic illness affect the wellbeing of an individual and their family?
  • How does IVF affect an individuals wellbeing?
  • How does Cystic Fibrosis impact on the wellbeing of an individual?
  • How does drinking alcohol affect the wellbeing of teenage girls (between the ages of 14-17)?
  • How does child abuse affect the wellbeing of an individual and family?
  • How and why does body image change as females progress in age?
  • How does stress created by the HSC affect the wellbeing of students psychologically, emotionally and socially?
  • How does the media sell sex and how does it influence teenagers today?
  • What is it to be a teenager in the 1960's as to be a teenager in 2004 across different culture and how it impacted on their way of life.
  • What is the impact of post-natal depression on the wellbeing of an individual and the family?
  • What is the level of community awareness on landmines and what is currently being done about the situation?
  • How does a gambling addiction affect an individual and the wellbeing of their family?
  • What are the effects on the wellbeing of an individual and their families when having undertaken IVF or adoption?
  • What influences the wellbeing of an individual as the progress from infancy to adolescence?
  • Are young people naive to the legal implications of sex?
  • Hsc students have alot of pressure placed on them, what can help them cope??
  • What are the psychological factors influencing self esteem?
  • Are young people naive to the risk if hiv/aids infection?
  • Are the laws and regulations, for parenting and adopting, different for homosexuals and heterosexuals?
  • Homophobia and how it affects the well-being of homosexuals.
  • What facilities are available to students with special needs, comparing public high schools, public primary schools, private high schools, private primary schools and special needs schools catering for these needs.
  • What are the advantages and disadvantages of home schooling regarding child development.
  • How do members of stepfamilies react and adjust to their situation?
  • If your young and you expose your sexuality, are you likely to be bullied or discriminated?
  • Does wealth effect success?
  • Dyslexia in High school students & how undiagnosis can effect well-being.
  • How does depression affect the well being of an adolescent?
  • How does conflict effect relationships and social wellbeing of individuals within teenage groups?
  • How does conflict effect the group dynamic?

Possible Layout
- Title page (irp question.. student number.. date)
- Contents
- List of tables and figures
- Abstract (brief summary of research, introduce project and its objectives, outline research methods, highlighting outcomes and recommendations of research)
- Acknowledgements (thanking people involved)
- Introduction on topic (what was chosen, relation to syllabus, account for bias ethics privacy sampling)
- Literature review- summarise existing secondary info.. this gives background info on topic
- Methodology- why research methods were used.. how research was carried out
- Results
- Analysis and discussion
- Summary and conclusion

Tips
  • Choose a topic you are interested in. If you dont like your topic and are doing it because it seems easy (or some other reason) you will be less likely to want to be working on it.
  • When you choose a topic BE SPECIFIC! When you choose something vague, you often are overwhelmed with information and dont know what to do. Try and relate it to wellbeing if possible.. it will force you to constantly write wellbeing in your response (which is a good thing... after all cafs=wellbeing). Adding in wellbeing can also give your topic a bit more focus so you know what you should be researching.
  • Make sure you do a literature review prior to confirming your topic. This means finding as much secondary information as possible (which also saves time afterwards) to see if there is enough to work with. If there is not enough secondary information, the topic should be reconsidered (as you need secondary information to back up anything primary that you find).
  • Aim to finish your primary research before the new year to give yourself a bit of a break before working hard on the analysis and interpretation of results. It will save alot of stress later on trying to get back surveys and writing up the report all at once.. because in january you often arent bothered doing anything until school starts so you may want to work hard before and give yourself the break from the report as a reward.
  • USE YOUR TEACHER! I cannot stress the importance of this! Throughout the hsc they are your best resource. When you finish something give it to them to look through.. whether its a survey, literature review or an analysis of something. They will always let you know if you are on the right track with the report. Don't feel embarrassed or anything, they need to mark it eventually and its better giving the final copy as an edited one compared to a first draft.
  • An idea to help in selecting your topic might be to flip through the cafs syllabus/textbook/excel book to look at what you will be studying throughout year 12. It can be good to research something relevant to the syllabus (if it interests you that is) then you know a whole lot more when learning about it later on :)
  • Try to write in your diary once every 2-3 days.. whenever you find an article stick it in there.. if you find a website write it down.. if your feeling pissed off about it all vent your anger! It can help you put things into perspective and teachers like seeing feelings and things in there.. it also helps to fill it up. If you leave it all till last minute then you are forced to make up entries and usually teachers can tell who has done so (as it gets quite repetitive).

Last edited:

kdevlin

HSC
Thanks alot for all that interesting tips and suggestions about the IRP...Its helped alot for me and deciding on what to do my IRP on and how in doing it. :)

Dreago

HSC
thanks hun my teacher didnt give me the proper documentation
i owe ya one now lol thanks

KhyryKay

HSC
THANK YOU SO MUCH.

you are a life saver. =] =] =] =]

meg cooper

HSC
:Dhay i just logged into this thingo! and its really helpful thanks!

kayla martin

HSC
Hay dudes.. :D
i just signed up on this and its cool as and very helpfull.
thank you guys.

Hey meggles cooper.. sup girl? see you next class haha.
keep smilin ;)

miz2nv

HSC
N/A
Please help im lost where does observation resultes and interviw go into

miz2nv

HSC
N/A
Please help im lost where does observation resultes and interviw go into</SPAN>

skyeskyeboo

HSC
the interviews and observations and stuff go into your 'research methodologies' section of your project.
Then after that you make a results page.
Then you discuss your results and stuff, and give reasons why you think that those results were achieved.

And maybe compare some of your primary research (interveiws and stuff) to your secondary research (newspaper articles and stuff)

hope i helped.

:)

Kat92

HSC
heeey, thanks for the info :)
could please show me an example of an IRP
There are a couple of IRP's on this site under resources, social science and then CAFS. Pretty much used them as a basis to structure my topic and achieved great marks. Hope that helps.

Kat92

HSC
Last edited:

tail

HSC
does anyone know how long my irp survey should be because i have around 4 pages of questions. is this to long?

Kat92

HSC
does anyone know how long my irp survey should be because i have around 4 pages of questions. is this to long?
Way too long :eek:. Condense it to around 2 if possible. Just put in some relevant questions ( a good mixture of both open ended and closed questions) :D.

:idea: You could also put up a copy of your survey in the IRP/PIP/surveys section and get some BOS members to make comments about it as a sort of pilot survey before you go full scale.

Hope that helps you out! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)