what is so bad about UWS? (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
samaccount, do you also realise that was 6-7 years ago?

and people go to uni for the correct documentation. good assumptions may be:
- people want to get a qualification
- employers will want documentation (i.e. your degree on a paper)
- one uni will have a higher documentation value to another uni
- employers are bound by politically correct values (i.e. morally bound to be non-discriminative)
- people do not always go to uni with the intention of getting documentation (i.e. learning something that they cannot or will not be bothered to learn otherwise).

uumm can't think of anymore at the momment, but you get the gist of it...its all about higher documentation value

samaccount123

HSC
Yeah its true how western uni only provides limited courses compared to others, but eventually they will provide those majors later on again sooner or later. I know also that UWS use to provide more majors than what they use to provide now - and adding medicine/ the new courses that where introduced recently for next year, I can see that they are improving.

However, yes you have a valid point about getting a higher documentation or a prestigious and better degree certificate..but thats not what it is ALL about. The main thing about going to uni is that you want to do the course that YOU want to do which will eventually start you up in the field that YOU WANT to be in regardless of how much responsibility or how much job you have to do in THAT field that you want to be truly in. Then you can eventually work your way up and go further in that job sector/ market to the standard of a degree from Sydney uni or from the Australian National University (ANU)..however..HOWEVER, ULTIMATELY the purpose of going to uni is not to only get a higher degree and a job..but truly the reason why people should go is because they should and want to SERVE SOCIETY IN A GREATER AND BETTER WAY than other people are now (In comparison) so that peoples future and the people of today have and can live BETTER lives through research and the invention of new products and new ideas (Innovation)..Thats what Nobel Prize Laurutes (sp) get!! THATS WHAT PEOPLE NEED TO OBTAIN to serve society that has never been thought possible with the human race..thats what really reflects a persons passion for a job and thats what really shows how KEEN..HOW INTERESTED AND HOW MUCH INTERESTS they have in a field, and afterall...who knows..you might get millions of dollars for your entreprenurial skills (spelling) or new idea

..All you need is to start, and starting at UWS has no wrong in it if theres a course there for you because thats where many people lay their foundation in beginning of their journey in whichever way they are doing it

Last edited:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
samaccount, fuck you have a lot of syntax, punctuation and grammar errors. can you please use paragraphs???

and did you read my list of assumptions? i.e.

samaccount123 said:
However, yes you have a valid point about getting a higher documentation or a prestigious and better degree certificate..but thats not what it is ALL about. The main thing about going to uni is that you want to do the course that YOU want to do which will eventually start you up in the field that YOU WANT to be in regardless of how much responsibility or how much job you have to do in THAT field that you want to be truly in.
wrong_turn said:
- people do not always go to uni with the intention of getting documentation (i.e. learning something that they cannot or will not be bothered to learn otherwise).
i hope that your current writing style does not transcend to your normal writing style in whatever you study... =S

samaccount123

HSC
Oh that reply wasn't only directed towards your reply, it was also directed towards some of the other posts that was posted in this thread. I am just sort of not seeing the point in putting down this university when there's nothing much wrong about going to it..particularly in 1st or 2nd years..or if you want to repeat 1st year if someone got real bad marks? lol

Oh yeah, I think I didn't take your assumption below into consideration..my mistake. Though its good that I gave you a bit of an expanded point with regards to your right point/assumption.

However what you said at the end has turned me off, i.e.

.... but you get the gist of it...its all about higher documentation value
Its not and by putting it in bold makes it even worse, though I liked your assumption I quoted. Peace now :drink:

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
It makes me cringe how you can immediately associate low entry scores with making it a 'dodgy uni', Psychology is apparently one of UWS' strong points.

Some guy I talked to thought that Unis chose cut offs based on how good the uni course is/their facilities, lol ridiculous and not even logical since if they chose them they wouldn't want them to be low.
I agree. People seem to forget that all universities have strong departments and weak departments. Personally, I've enjoyed my degree at UWS so far. When comparing course topics to friends studying Arts(Psych) at UNSW and Mac, we've all covered similar material. Psych degrees at UWS would not be offered, nor be able to count toward APS accreditation, if they were 'dodgy'.

At the end of the day, I'm working hard and have decent marks. I could transfer if I wished to, which I may consider down the track when I move out of home and look at postgraduate options. I personally know people who have achieved a lot, regardless of their UWS degree, but I have posted about it many times before.

People will shoot me down for attending UWS, but whatever. I'm sure your parents and friends know better with their opinions based on prestige, right?

samaccount123

HSC
samaccount, do you also realise that was 6-7 years ago?

and people go to uni for the correct documentation. good assumptions may be:
- employers will want documentation (i.e. your degree on a paper)
- one uni will have a higher documentation value to another uni
- employers are bound by politically correct values (i.e. morally bound to be non-discriminative)

uumm can't think of anymore at the momment, but you get the gist of it...its all about higher documentation value
It was 5-7 years ago yes, but it does take 3-4 years to complete a degree for those that started and that..

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
no, i'm quite sure i said 6-7 years ago, hence, 3-4 years to complete the degree, and thus 3-4 graduated from the degree?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
samaccount 123, why are you contradicting yourself?

samaccount123 said:
You peoples do know that cut-off's for every university use to be way lower than they are now, especially UTS..B Science at UTS use to be in the 60-65 range..in 2003/04 it was 66.5 or something

It was 5-7 years ago yes, but it does take 3-4 years to complete a degree for those that started and that.

Yup..so ATAR/UAI changes according to demand
you've stated all of the above but what is your objective?

if ATAR/UAI changes by demand, and due to current demands, does it really matter what past uai's are?

because as you have indicated or notioned, there has been a lapse of 3-4 years. If we could be pedantic, we could observe entrance scores 20-30 years ago when some of unsw's schools were established. but my point is that you are looking into the past, when it is current demands that are measured.

TateDimech21

HSC
i chose UWS because of the course they offer i want a masters degree of physiotherapy but also a degree in sports science, if i could do this at any other uni i would (sydney has a similar degree but not exactly what i want) it doesn't make me stupid i pushed my self all year and worked hard to be where i am, sure there are alot of dumbasses at uws because the uni cut offs and stuf are piss weak but there are people like me who work hard but can only find the course they want at universities like this. i know i am going to cop a lot of flack for this but not everyone in western sydney is a bogan and fucking their sister, although there are some...

zehrag

HSC
ok well uws parra, theres a majority of lebs and a variety of other ethnicities which i haven't experienced in my area or at maq. At maq, there was a majority of asians, indians and aussies and everyone doesn't talk like a westy or a leb.
ps i have nothing against westies or lebs.

In regards to the candidature, most have either come from tafe or got uais in the 60's.
THANK GOD SOMEONE ANSWERED the question bugging my mind for ages....i duno wether to continue being a westie and go to usw....or decide to change my social circle and go to UNSW........or does uni really not matter in that aspect.

im not a leb or anything, but ive been around it all my life.

just thoughts.

zehrag

HSC
agreed! I went to the open day for Australian Catholic Unversity and honestly, terrible. the speakers and all were actually pretty good. but i thought the organisation and the state of the facilities i thought was poor. the building old and not pleasing and its pretty small aswell. i would definately choose UWS over ACU for a teaching degree.

zehrag

HSC
Hahaha, says the ex-uws lawstudent ;)

You can't get into UTS law with a 90 ATAR regardless of what your GPA is. Also, there are more people who get below 90 UAI/ATAR than there are that get 91+ that do UWS law.
whats GPA?

Schoey93

HSC
im looking around this these thread things and people are saying that UWS is a crap uni why? coz personally looks okey to me :D
UWS is a GREAT uni. Don't listen to what people say; all they mean is 'O.M.F.G. it has LOW cut-off scores' now fucking hell fuck me grr that's bad so Imma fucking tease everyone who goes there cos I'm a smart fuckwit...

:D

X

xeuyrawp

You can't get into UTS law with a 90 ATAR regardless of what your GPA is.
WRONG. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I know of many people who have gotten into USYD law with a UAI/ATAR of 90. One of my friends got into USyd grad law with a UAI of 81 because he had First Class honours. You clearly have no idea about how NRSL rankings work. As I tell people all the time, university admissions can be very flexible if you've already proven that you're good in a uni environment. YES, a lot of NRSL admissions are completely handled electronically, but admissions people do go through applications and make decisions based on the fact that they've already more than proved themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

atm1991

HSC
WRONG. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I know of many people who have gotten into USYD law with a UAI/ATAR of 90. One of my friends got into USyd grad law with a UAI of 81 because he had First Class honours. You clearly have no idea about how NRSL rankings work. As I tell people all the time, university admissions can be very flexible if you've already proven that you're good in a uni environment. YES, a lot of NRSL admissions are completely handled electronically, but admissions people do go through applications and make decisions based on the fact that they've already more than proved themselves.
I can vouch for the UTS transfer. I know a chick who did HSC in 2006 and got a UAI of 83. She did law at UWS for 1 year, then got a transfer to UTS 2nd year. Not sure what her GPA was though and I don't think she had work experience.

Misz

HSC
This thread is ridiculous. The amount of people that are saying uws is shit.. Your shit !! I went to the open day this yr and I loved it !! On the other hand I went to usyd open day and it was ridiculous!! I think usyd is too dependent on it's rep because that open was not impressive at all. Uws Is my third and second pref and I wouldn't mind going to it.. For all you 'idiots' that think it's a shit UNii ahha I laugh at your faces..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)