• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Finance electives (1 Viewer)

lawstudent

HSC
Hi guys

I'm gonna be choosing my electives next year for my finance major (unsw). These are some possible electives for me:

FINS2643 Wealth Management
FINS3625 Applied Corporate Finance
FINS3631 Risk and Insurance
FINS3635 Options, Futures&Risk Mgmt
FINS3641 Security Analysis & Valuation
FINS3655 Behavioural Finance

Has anyone done any of these? if yes whats the workload/difficulty like?

Also, please rank the subjects on a scale of 1 - 10, with 1613 being a 5 in difficulty. Thank you for the responses in advance =)</SPAN>

I posted in the unsw room as well but i don't think theres many people in there lol might be able to get more feedback here.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Don't do stuff because they are easy do it because they are interesting.

I'm not sure about commerce but in most physical sciences if you advoid doing hard subjects you graduate looking like a dickhead

scora

HSC
^

yeah, i'm probably not the best to comment on this, but i'm guessing the electives you choose now will have a big impact on what kind of financial occupation you'll end up pursuing.

lawstudent

HSC
yea whether or not a subject is interesting is also a very important, so if you could also say whether you found it interesting or not that'll be good too =)

Reckoner

HSC
Hi guys

I'm gonna be choosing my electives next year for my finance major (unsw). These are some possible electives for me:

FINS2643 Wealth Management
FINS3625 Applied Corporate Finance
FINS3631 Risk and Insurance
FINS3635 Options, Futures&Risk Mgmt
FINS3641 Security Analysis & Valuation
FINS3655 Behavioural Finance

Has anyone done any of these? if yes whats the workload/difficulty like?

Also, please rank the subjects on a scale of 1 - 10, with 1613 being a 5 in difficulty. Thank you for the responses in advance =)</SPAN>

I posted in the unsw room as well but i don't think theres many people in there lol might be able to get more feedback here.
Do the following;

Applied Corporate Finance
Options Futures & Risk
Security Analysis
and choose whatever you want for the last one. But those 3 are a must. Doesn't matter how hard, you have to do them if you want to get a taste of the real world.

lawstudent

HSC
Do the following;

Applied Corporate Finance
Options Futures & Risk
Security Analysis
and choose whatever you want for the last one. But those 3 are a must. Doesn't matter how hard, you have to do them if you want to get a taste of the real world.
yea thats what i heard from my friends who are in 3rd year and stuff. but i don't think i will be working in the finance sector at all, so my options are somewhat more flexible i guess? lol

Reckoner

HSC
yea thats what i heard from my friends who are in 3rd year and stuff. but i don't think i will be working in the finance sector at all, so my options are somewhat more flexible i guess? lol
well then what the heck you studying finance for??
should jsut drop it and do arts or accounting then

akqjt

HSC
Everyone does finance/accounting. If you don't plan on working in finance do the easiest subjects you can find: wealth management, bank financial management and another (I don't know of another easy one). If you do get a finance interview though you'll be struggling if they ask about corporate finance or markets.

lawstudent

HSC
well then what the heck you studying finance for??
should jsut drop it and do arts or accounting then
i've already done too many finance subjects abit too late lol and i find accounting very boring so yea

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Going into a finance internship I would feel more confident if I had done a few of these seemingly practical finance subjects (I left my finance electives late in my degree).

On the other hand plenty of people work successfully finance without having any formal study of their respective fields

I would conclude that whilst such electives may be useful in helping students determine what fields they may wish to pursue they are far from mandatory so long as a genuine interest and awareness of those fields is maintained.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I am one of those who went into finance with absolutely no formal finance education. Not that easy at the start, but I wouldn't have studied finance if I had the chance, as you can pick up it.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I am one of those who went into finance with absolutely no formal finance education. Not that easy at the start, but I wouldn't have studied finance if I had the chance, as you can pick up it.
It's just so depressing when you realise this close to the end of a finance degree...:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)