hsc scam? (1 Viewer)

kr73114

HSC
channel nine news said something about private schools getting more hsc help and that it was a scam. special considerations for extra writing time,etc. do a lot of people actually apply for those extra exam help considerations.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
It's not a scam, anyone can apply for special considerations.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
That news report was fail. Didn't you hear right at the end they said an audit found that everyone who was given special previsions had genuine reasons. Probably some people who got shit marks complained to channel 9, thats why it was shown a few days after results came out and not after the tests were sat.

L

quit bos forever 23/01/07
Under the Tuscan Sun, as per usual, fuckan tearin
HSC
N/A
That news report was fail. Didn't you hear right at the end they said an audit found that everyone who was given special previsions had genuine reasons. Probably some people who got shit marks complained to channel 9, thats why it was shown a few days after results came out and not after the tests were sat.
"an audit"

haha, yeah right i know for a fact at my school many many people applied for special considerations for bullshit reasons and received extra time/multiple breaks during the exam/a private room with no hsc person present/etc etc

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
"an audit"

haha, yeah right i know for a fact at my school many many people applied for special considerations for bullshit reasons and received extra time/multiple breaks during the exam/a private room with no hsc person present/etc etc

Having no supervisor is a breach of the regulations.

Every student given special provisions needing a separate exam room must also have a separate supervisor for that exam room.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Having no supervisor is a breach of the regulations.

Every student given special provisions needing a separate exam room must also have a separate supervisor for that exam room.
Given that the presiding officers and all supervisors must be completely free from links to the school they supervise at, there also wouldn't be any incentive for the presiding officer to let that happen. (I got my own supervisor, and I was actually sitting in the main room.)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Given that the presiding officers and all supervisors must be completely free from links to the school they supervise at, there also wouldn't be any incentive for the presiding officer to let that happen. (I got my own supervisor, and I was actually sitting in the main room.)
They do not have to be free from links with the school. They can't have kids or relatives doing the HSC or SC (as usually schools have the same set of supervisors).

My school has had a parent as the senior supervisor ever since I have been there (1991) and other supervisors have also been parents/grandparents and even retired teachers or other employees from the school.

Another friend of mine works part time in the office at the school where she supervisors the HSC and has done so for many years.

My school is independent but this friend is at a government school.

In addition I have seen government and non-government schools advertising in their newsletters for supervisors meaning that the majority of the people applying at that school will have connections to the school (another school I was associated with had a problem the day before the exams began when two of their supervisors came down with the flu and simply asked parents to do the job).

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Rubbish. It is a scandal these private schools using their rich resources to rort the system. Can you believe that one school was given special consideration for over 40% of its students sitting this year's HSC. Special consideration for such frivolous reasons as poor handwriting (learn how to write!), emotional disabilities (it is so hard to verify this; Psychology is not exactly an exact science; you have the money you can get a psychiatrist/psychologist to vouch for the condition) etc etc. You can have a look at the students as they stream out of that school and tell yourself: do they look any different from you? Can you believe over 40 % have some disability or other? You'd think many of the rich private schools are schools for the disabled. They probably have a whole department handling such rorts. What becomes of many of these privileged students? They go into society thinking it is the right thing to do to exploit every loophole to the hilt in order to get ahead in life.

It seems perverse that students from generally more privileged backgrounds should have a higher incidence of disabilities.

Last edited:

philphie

Banned
HSC
everyone here is missing where the scam is. apart from independent schools and catholic systemic schools that get the independent and cssa trials (i don't know about public schools) but alll private schools make their own trials. i've seen their trials and to be honest they are quite easy compared to what is in the cssa and independent papers. but then again not even some independent or catholic systemic schools are exempt from this because some actually go through two sets of trials (the first either the independent/cssa paper and the second the one the school makes themselves). so the scam is in the internal marking. plus i'm quite sure there are some teachers out there in all kinds of schools that mess with internal marks.

for some private schools (i won't name any), the way they ensure good marks is making sure every student is up to par by repeating them if they're not.

ajdlinux

HSC
They do not have to be free from links with the school. They can't have kids or relatives doing the HSC or SC (as usually schools have the same set of supervisors).

etc etc
Yes, I stand corrected - this is what I meant, they can't be directly related to people doing the HSC in that year.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
everyone here is missing where the scam is. apart from independent schools and catholic systemic schools that get the independent and cssa trials (i don't know about public schools) but alll private schools make their own trials. i've seen their trials and to be honest they are quite easy compared to what is in the cssa and independent papers. but then again not even some independent or catholic systemic schools are exempt from this because some actually go through two sets of trials (the first either the independent/cssa paper and the second the one the school makes themselves). so the scam is in the internal marking. plus i'm quite sure there are some teachers out there in all kinds of schools that mess with internal marks.

for some private schools (i won't name any), the way they ensure good marks is making sure every student is up to par by repeating them if they're not.
Are you aware of how internals are scaled though?

ajdlinux

HSC

How is it a 'scam' that private schools set different trial exams? The moderation process means that all that would affect is the relative assessment mark between different students at the same school. And there's no real benefit in having an easy trial paper, because when it comes to the HSC exam, having more practice will always bring better results.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The moderation process ensures that the internal marking doesn't matter.

Have a read of http://community.boredofstudies.org...na/6642/explanation-hsc-marks-moderating.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)