Is it possible to study all the advanced units of study in a BSc? (1 Viewer)

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I ask this question, because I am rather iffy about the compulsory honours year imposed on Advanced science students, yet I want to study at an advanced level.

Also, two more questions:
1. Are the diplomas you get at the end for Bsc and Advanced BSc the same?

2. Is it possible to transfer from a normal BSc to an advanced BSc? If so, can this be done, say, in the middle or beginning of the year, or do you have to wait one year before you can do so?

3. If I study advanced units in a normal bachelor of science degree, will the normal students and advanced students be separated during tutorials?

4. Is the honours year really that worthwhile? I feel like im 'wasting' a year. Do I learn anything really awesome? Does it increase my employment prospects? Do I gain super-skills?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I ask this question, because I am rather iffy about the compulsory honours year imposed on Advanced science students, yet I want to study at an advanced level.
You can still opt out of Honours in Adv Science. They will transfer you to a generic BSc after 3 years in Adv Sc if you do not wish to continue. You will graduate with a BSc.

Please note that the Honours year, in most disciplines, is purely research-based.

2. Is it possible to transfer from a normal BSc to an advanced BSc? If so, can this be done, say, in the middle or beginning of the year, or do you have to wait one year before you can do so?
Yes. You can transfer from a BSc to AdvSc, or vice versa. To go from BSc to AdvSc, you will need to first complete 36 units. That will take you a min. of 2 semesters (1 year) because you can only do a max. of 24 units per semester. You need to achieve a WAM (average mark) of 75 (Distinction level) to be considered for this transfer. Internal transfer is very convenient if you have the required marks.

See here for more information:
https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/program_trans_Sci.html

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
3. If I study advanced units in a normal bachelor of science degree, will the normal students and advanced students be separated during tutorials?
No.

Your tutors and demonstrators won't even know which degree you are doing.

4. Is the honours year really that worthwhile? I feel like im 'wasting' a year. Do I learn anything really awesome? Does it increase my employment prospects? Do I gain super-skills?
For me, the Honours year is the best year of my 4 year degree. The whole point of me doing a science degree was to become a scientist. The honours year trains you to be a "real" scientist by giving you the opportunity to work in a lab, learn the different modern techniques, participate in solving real problems and go on a discovery process. If you are lucky enough you may even have your work published in an international journal. How cool is that?!

The only different between AdvSc and BSc is in AdvSc, you are required to take the advanced option if there is one available (in some discipline like psychology, there is no adv option so it doesn't matter). You will also graduate with a "Bachelor of Advanced Science" printed on your testamur.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Thanks for your advice!

Another question just to clarify: can normal Bachelor of science students choose all advanced units of study? Are they 'not allowed' to choose an advanced unit of study in some cirucumstances?

Is the diploma, that sheet of paper you get at the end, does it say whether you did Adv. Science or not?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks for your advice!

Another question just to clarify: can normal Bachelor of science students choose all advanced units of study? Are they 'not allowed' to choose an advanced unit of study in some cirucumstances?
As far as I know, there is only 1 subject that is specific to AdvSc students and not available to anyone else. Tjis subject is called "SCIF1021 Advanced Science Seminar". This is just a generic skills subject. It really doesn't make much of a difference whether you do it or not.

Is the diploma, that sheet of paper you get at the end, does it say whether you did Adv. Science or not?
Yes. It will say "Bachelor of Science (Advanced)" or "Bachelor of Advanced Science" - not sure which one but the word "advanced" will be there. This was only introduced recently because back then, it didn't have the word "advanced" and people were complaining so they now add the "advanced" bit.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Ha ha, thanks. I suppose it doesn't really matter whether or not my certificate says 'Advanced' on it, because I would have gained the knowledge and skills of an advanced student anyway.

Thanks man.

Tim035

HSC
Bsc, Bsc Adv, Med Sci, Biotech etc, It's all seriously the same thing

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Bsc, Bsc Adv, Med Sci, Biotech etc, It's all seriously the same thing
It's true. hahaha. That's why in Cambridge, they just have 1 name for science - a Natural Science degree - none of this other gibberish.

HSC
I agree with everything survivor said; just wanted to add some comments.

Honestly; this makes you sound like a bookworm/study ghost. Its all well and good to want to study all the advanced units; but seriously... that is alot of time studying first year subjects.

fwiw, You're better off studying the minimum one adv subject and other 'normal' subjects --> and join a society and/orget a part time job. This shows that you have time management skills; making you more 'attractive to an employer'. Good/freaky marks does not mean you will be a good at your job.

University is not (meant to be) an extension of high school. Its for you to acquire a job/research position at the end of the road (including those in academia).

Honours is the year you become a REAL scientist. Those schmucks that graduate without honours are not scientist --> just people with knowledge about science (there is a difference believe or not).

Imho; it increases the chance of your employment prospects. But as scientist (as I elaborated in the med sci well) --> you gain your employment through your network.

The skills you gain are research ones (depeding on your area of research); and good presentation skills. Communicating complex ideas is a major plus and a good 'feather to have in the cap'.
Ummm... hope that helped. If you have anymore questions; post them. Info here is >>>>> than on the uni website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)