External or Internal Transfer Easier? (1 Viewer)

Physicswawa

HSC
Hey

I was wondering if i want to do commerce/ law unsw at the start of 2nd year, would it be easier if i did an internal transfer from commerce/ arts in unsw or an external transfer from commerce/ law in umaq?

Thax

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Another condition of the internal transfer is to do a single degree in your first year, and then proceeding on with that single degree as part of your combined law degree. So if you're planning on doing comm/law, i suggest doing comm in your first year instead of comm/arts, because if you do end up getting into law, your arts subjects wont be credited towards anything and will have been a waste of time essentially

Note that you can change combined law degrees any time you wish though, like for example, if you give comm/law a shot and figure you don't like it, you can transfer to arts/law, science/law etc

Pyrokinetic

HSC
Another condition of the internal transfer is to do a single degree in your first year, and then proceeding on with that single degree as part of your combined law degree. So if you're planning on doing comm/law, i suggest doing comm in your first year instead of comm/arts, because if you do end up getting into law, your arts subjects wont be credited towards anything and will have been a waste of time essentially

Note that you can change combined law degrees any time you wish though, like for example, if you give comm/law a shot and figure you don't like it, you can transfer to arts/law, science/law etc
Are you sure about this? I was told doing a combined degree 1st year then transferring to law with one of them was ok & wouldn't take any longer to finish the degrees. Because in this case if you're doing com/arts and transferred to com/law.... your arts credit points will count as 'electives' & wont be wasted.

Someone correct me.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
If you were doing com/arts and then transferred to comm/law, your arts credit points go down the drain because in a comm/law (and most other double degrees), you don't get electives/gen-eds usually because they figure you're studying enough outside the one faculty.

In comm/law, the comm component is merely the 6 core subjects in your first year + 8 electives that you choose to be your commerce major. There's no way that you can get a finance major, for example, by doing just 6 electives and having the 2 arts subjects you did in first year count as your other electives. That's why they usually say do a single degree, cause chances are everything will count - i know this is the case if you intend to major in finance because you will have done 2 electives by the end of first year that will count to your major.

However, i'm not sure how this would fall into place if you were doing planning on majoring in something that coincided with first year cores e.g. an accounting major - can someone shed some light as to what would happen to the 2 electives you did in first year (they wouldn't be accounting because you wouldn't have met the requirements to do accounting electives yet), do they get counted somewhere or just thrown out the window?

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
If you were doing com/arts and then transferred to comm/law, your arts credit points go down the drain because in a comm/law (and most other double degrees), you don't get electives/gen-eds usually because they figure you're studying enough outside the one faculty.

In comm/law, the comm component is merely the 6 core subjects in your first year + 8 electives that you choose to be your commerce major. There's no way that you can get a finance major, for example, by doing just 6 electives and having the 2 arts subjects you did in first year count as your other electives. That's why they usually say do a single degree, cause chances are everything will count - i know this is the case if you intend to major in finance because you will have done 2 electives by the end of first year that will count to your major.

However, i'm not sure how this would fall into place if you were doing planning on majoring in something that coincided with first year cores e.g. an accounting major - can someone shed some light as to what would happen to the 2 electives you did in first year (they wouldn't be accounting because you wouldn't have met the requirements to do accounting electives yet), do they get counted somewhere or just thrown out the window?

I can possibly make it a bit clearer. I was doing Com/Arts in my first year of university, and successfully externally transferred into Com/Law at UNSW. As mentioned above my Arts units didn't count, but all of my Com core subjects were transferred.

Basically I'll still finish my Accounting major (Commerce component of the combined degree) at the end of this year. The only downside is having to stay behind for an extra semester, so I graduate a tad later than usual. I do have the option of overloading, but I seriously can't come to terms with that concept.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Yeap makes sense to me, it was as i thought. Hopefully makes sense to the OP too

rambam92

HSC
so wait is it easier to transfer into Comm/law if you do just straight commerce or is it better to do like commerce/economics?

rx34

HSC
so wait is it easier to transfer into Comm/law if you do just straight commerce or is it better to do like commerce/economics?
For first year comm/eco, commerce has the same first year subjects as economics (except commerce has accounting).

Commerce first year (this is not the same for all unis):
- Macro
- Micro
- Business and Eco Statistics
- Acct 1a
- Acct 1b
- Commercial law 1
- Information Systems
- Elective

Eco first year:
- Macro
- Micro
- Business and Eco Statistics

See the eco subjects would overlap so it doesn't matter if you transfer to comm/law next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)