B Commerce/B Economics advice? (2 Viewers)

Novacute

HSC
Hi, recently, i've been offered a double degree - Bachelor of COmmerce/Bachelor of Economics from Monash University. Is this a good option? I'm concerned because there appears to be 'overlaps' in certain subjects offered by both disciplines. Can anyone also give advice on the majors i should be selecting that offers the strongest employment prospect? Thanks for your time. :haha:

rx34

HSC
I think you can do 3 majors in this double degree. I would suggest you do accounting and finance. The last major is up to you.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Obviously the last major has to be in economics, otherwise it wouldn't be called BComm/BEco.

rx34

HSC
Obviously the last major has to be in economics, otherwise it wouldn't be called BComm/BEco.
No that's not true. You can do Bachelor of Economics and choose to major in accounting, BIS or finance, not necessarily economics/econometrics.

Source

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
I know of a few people who are doing BCom/BEc, it seems like a decent course, I think my friends are majoring in Accounting/Finance and Economics, but they aren't too realistic about landing jobs in Eco hence they did the double degree for some peace of mind.

Monstar

HSC
To be considered a 'economist' i think you need to have done atleast honours.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
No that's not true. You can do Bachelor of Economics and choose to major in accounting, BIS or finance, not necessarily economics/econometrics.

Source
My mistake, maybe its different at ANU, cause UNSW you have to major in eco

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
To be considered a 'economist' i think you need to have done atleast honours.
yeah one of my friends said his economics tutor thinks honours is the minimum to get a decent job in Eco.

Simo91

HSC
I heard you have to have honours in eco to be eligible to work in the rba as an economist..don't know how much truth there is to that statement though.

Wingstroke

Banned
HSC
I heard you have to have honours in eco to be eligible to work in the rba as an economist..don't know how much truth there is to that statement though.
yes that's true, and minimum for IMF or WB is a PhD

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
It's a degree to do if your passion lies in Economics but you realise that BEcon on it's own isn't likely to get you employed.

rx34

HSC
It's a degree to do if your passion lies in Economics but you realise that BEcon on it's own isn't likely to get you employed.
Hey moll, is your degree 4 years? I regret not applying for it at USyd. I'll check the website now.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Hey moll, is your degree 4 years? I regret not applying for it at USyd. I'll check the website now.
Usyd doesn't offer combined Commerce/Economics. One or t'other.
Yeah, mine's 4 years.
My thinking: Three years for each, or four together? Meh, may as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)