My Guide to HSC at TAFE. (1 Viewer)

krayzie_

HSC
Hmm, dragonsrock. I was in the same boat as you, I went to TAFE to redo my HSC and yes you can combine them but you can only use your latest results.

Also were you doing this so that you will get a new UAI?

HSC
Which tafes/institutions offer the 'matriculated program'? and how do i find the course offering lists, as most of the tafe sites provide little information on this.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Ring your nearest TAFE and ask to talk to the General Education section or else check out the actual Institute's site, has more on it than the TAFENSW site.

Try OTEN for TPC/CGVE (love the acronyms!) by distance - you still get a TAFE certificate at the end.

If you really want to do uni and don't have HSC, try Open Universities (degrees through RMIT, Swinburne, Monash, Griffith etc).

If you really want to do TAFE and don't have HSC, my personal preference would be to do a Cert I in that area such as IT, then a Cert II etc (as mentioned in a previous post). Most diplomas require HSC or else a level 4, so you can work your way up to it. You miss out on doing Maths, Science, English which are great all-round type skills but yes, they aren't for everybody.

Shaunae

HSC
hi

is it possible to take 10-12 units in a year in tafe?
I read that they suggest the applicants to only enroll maximal 3 subjects
I want to repeat my HSC all of them but i dont want to repeat it in one year

Ocoth

HSC
Newcastle campus also offered Mathematics Extension 1 this year (2007) and last (2006). It runs subject to demand at the moment (as with all subjects I think!), and this year we ended up with a class of five students!

Going by past papers that we've been given throughout the year, it also ran in 2000 and 2004. I'm not sure about the other years, it might've just been those were the only papers available (this year it is taught by a different teacher than previously).

(I've heard that in the 1980s and/or 1990s they had more than one class of Maths Ext 1 students in some years! With the introduction of alternative university entry methods that's changed.)

cokeface

HSC
well if u get 100 like im planning on doing in good old 4 unit u wont haveto worri lol...

Ive been told by a few ppl that ppl lyk me (i did my hsc in oct/nov 2007 and am planning to repeat it at TAFE in 2008 to be re sat in nov 08) will lose 5 marks or 10% or something similar on our uai just becuase we repeated.

If thats tru it shows u how completely flawed this system is..eg. theyll let ppl get their ass tutored off from yr 6 to 12 and they can keep their 100 uai no worries but ppl hu cant afford that same luxury n have a hard time at home during their hsc lose 10% and i spose i can see reason for arguement from both sides but i dont lyk it.

I hope this isnt tru n im trying not to jump to conclusions but i need 95 plus for what I want n if thats not doable through TAFE ill be very annoyed. But when i think about it's really the same as that pathways shit and they dont get no marks taken away but who knows.

Anyway i would appreciate clarification of this by anyone in the know.

cheers

loser101

HSC
no u dont lose 10% thats b.s, you can accumulate your subjects or reapet them for a rolling 5 year period. can't get much easier than that to get a high TER

but i cant see why anyone would waste 5 years just to get a perfect TER if all you want is to get into a University course.

SituationNoir

HSC
I've done half the HSC through Tafe - I was on pathways and I have another half to do...but I want to try and get into the subjects I've already done prelim for...
Do other tafes offer distance education? Like..Newcastle offers the subjects that I'd need/have done prelim for, so could I do something like that through them or is it only through OTEN?

>.<

OiNK!

Superior Member
HSC
Shaunae said:
hi

is it possible to take 10-12 units in a year in tafe?
I read that they suggest the applicants to only enroll maximal 3 subjects
I want to repeat my HSC all of them but i dont want to repeat it in one year

Most TAFE HSC coordinators will no longer allow students to complete the HSC within 1 year. After speaking with most Sydney TAFE HSC coordinators, the North Sydney Institute, and Northern Beaches Institute were the only two colleges willing to allow me to complete more than 12 units within a 1 year period.

TAFE colleges are encouraging students to undertake the flexible streams because they believe delivering the HSC over a longer period (2-5 years) results in better marks when comparing to students who attempt 12 or more units in 1 year.

OiNK!

Superior Member
HSC
TAFE starts tomorrow!
All your own work 9.00am sharp.

Masaaki

HSC
Hi, i currently am doing HSC at TAFE with 4 subjects, and i have already received the HSC last year(2007), but want to get a better UAI to get into Uni. And here i would like to ask a few questions [I won't ask one person to answer them all, but any help is appreciated :)] :

1. Does TPC, in comparison to HSC at TAFE, take into account any previous HSC subjects i have completed, or is it a completely separate thing that is just another way of getting into Uni (get a TES)

2. I have completed the HSC with 10 units last year, but want to make a large improvement as personal issues prevented me from getting the best out of my ability. Heres the question -> Can i do the 'yr11(Preliminary)+Yr12(HSC) in one year program', doing 4 subjects, and ALSO combine one of my subjects which i completed back in 2007(HSC) to make the units count to the required 10?

3. I unbelievably missed the information session, as i found out about it the day after, so i want to just briefly know what was presented.

Thanks a lot in advance for you support,
Regards, -M

Last edited:

redox

HSC
1. As far as I know, it's completely seperate.

2. Yes, you can definately do that.

3. How are we to know if we weren't there?

BTW, what tafe?

Masaaki

HSC
redox said:
3. How are we to know if we weren't there?

BTW, what tafe?
Well if someone has gone to it before or this year, that would help.

North Sydney TAFE

Thanks a lot for your help ;)

xibeleli

HSC
cokeface said:
well if u get 100 like im planning on doing in good old 4 unit u wont haveto worri lol...

Ive been told by a few ppl that ppl lyk me (i did my hsc in oct/nov 2007 and am planning to repeat it at TAFE in 2008 to be re sat in nov 08) will lose 5 marks or 10% or something similar on our uai just becuase we repeated.

If thats tru it shows u how completely flawed this system is..eg. theyll let ppl get their ass tutored off from yr 6 to 12 and they can keep their 100 uai no worries but ppl hu cant afford that same luxury n have a hard time at home during their hsc lose 10% and i spose i can see reason for arguement from both sides but i dont lyk it.

I hope this isnt tru n im trying not to jump to conclusions but i need 95 plus for what I want n if thats not doable through TAFE ill be very annoyed. But when i think about it's really the same as that pathways shit and they dont get no marks taken away but who knows.

Anyway i would appreciate clarification of this by anyone in the know.

cheers
I heard that too, im also wondering if its true you lose 10% for repeating the hsc

Amy Elizabeth

HSC
Hey,
There's some really good points here! I left half way through year 12 this year for some personal reasons, but always really loved my subjects. In year 11 i came first in all but one subject, and I'm itching to get back into a humanities classroom haha
What should I do? I've been researching it for ages but still can't get anything straight. How long will it take to do year 12 in the shortest time possible- I left school partly because I felt the environment was very immature and fake. Uni is where I really want to be- asap.
Help?? =)

:bat:

samaccount123

HSC
I heard that too, im also wondering if its true you lose 10% for repeating the hsc
What the o_O?! What type of rumour is this? Seriously..I've never heard anything like that ever man..its like saying

if you get 70 - 10%

Your ATAR would be 70 - 7 = 63!

Thats heaps of positions to lose just because of repeating..also the HSC changes all the time so how could it be unfair? Its all fair.

Also..an ATAR of 80 means that losing 10% = an ATAR of 72! Thats a big difference

I dont believe in it

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Dont do it at Granville..the English teacher was mean in a way there..one of it I wont mention loll!

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Dont do it at Granville..the English teacher was mean in a way there..one of it I wont mention loll!
*ahem*..however the maths teacher is cool there!

Also they dont offer this course at blacktown anymore

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)