Medicine at UNSW and UWS (1 Viewer)

Geniusatwork

HSC
hey man thanks for that
and i guess i can relate well - in GWS area

hold on, so those umat scores were the ones sent to you by acer - like your actual results or were they like the one uws played around with? - what with the "weighted umat" n all

Last edited by a moderator:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
hey man thanks for that
and i guess i can relate well - in GWS area

hold on, so those umat scores were the ones sent to you by acer - like your actual results or were they like the one uws played around with? - what with the "weighted umat" n all
Ergh read my original post.

The scores he put up were from Acer, but the weighted score is what UWS uses to determine if you get an interview or not.

Jackie.bored

HSC
UWS, as FreshOffTheBoat said, actually did have all the interviewees sign a non-disclosure statement before the interview. I like their reasoning about it being fairer for all the interviewees. UWS is 66% UMAT and 33% Interview.

ratfish09

HSC
UNSW unbonded:

ATAR 99.60
UMAT 179/91st precentile

Bear in mind that the interview does play a major role though, i know a fair few with high umats/atars that didn't make it, and vice versa.

arjungamer123

HSC
UNSW unbonded:

ATAR 99.60
UMAT 179/91st precentile

Bear in mind that the interview does play a major role though, i know a fair few with high umats/atars that didn't make it, and vice versa.
A mate of mine has similar stats. ATAR of 99.60, UMAT of 175- and he got a bonded place.

lizajane91

HSC
I got a place at unsw through rural entry with a umat of 60 (91st %tile) and an ATAR of 96.4.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Stupid question but.. would it be harder to find work if you graduate from UWS, compared to graduating from UNSW/Usyd?

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Stupid question but.. would it be harder to find work if you graduate from UWS, compared to graduating from UNSW/Usyd?
yep. by 2012 there will b 2900 med graduates with only 2000 intern places. who do u think will get first pref?

nottellingu

HSC
yep. by 2012 there will b 2900 med graduates with only 2000 intern places. who do u think will get first pref?
From what I know its randomised.

They could go down the victorian way by allocating them by marks? I doubt university reputation will make a difference especially if both the courses are amc accredited.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Ergh, it will be randomised by ballot. It's completely unethical to go off by reputation, etc. Also colleges look at other things in your application such as volunteer work, research/journal papers, references , etc when they grade it, but another big thing is the interview if you present yourself as an arrogant such and such from snob uni, who do u think will get the job?

Anyways UWS has embedded Hons. in 4th and 5th year and also has access to all Usyd clinical hospitals for a small number of rotations except for Nepean (as it is saturated atm) + UNSW's Liverpool Hospital for 5th years.

Last edited:

nottellingu

HSC
Ergh, it will be randomised by ballot. It's completely unethical to go off by reputation, etc. Also colleges look at other things in your application such as volunteer work, research/journal papers, references , etc when they grade it, but another big thing is the interview if you present yourself as an arrogant such and such from snob uni, who do u think will get the job?

Anyways UWS has embedded Hons. in 4th and 5th year and also has access to all Usyd clinical hospitals for a small number of rotations except for Nepean (as it is saturated atm) + UNSW's Liverpool Hospital for 5th years.
Do they have interviews for internships?
So its like any other job?

If Hons. and such make a difference and UWS has integrated honours so you don't have to do an extra year i'd imagine it would be pretty competitive?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Do they have interviews for internships?
So its like any other job?

If Hons. and such make a difference and UWS has integrated honours so you don't have to do an extra year i'd imagine it would be pretty competitive?
It depends on which specialty/colleges, it's college dependant. But for some references make up 30% of the weightings, so yeah med school pretty much has nothing to do with it, it's who gives you a glowing report about u during internship, resident years that get's you the big marks.

Integrated during 4th and 5th year, so yeah you don't have to take an extra year off, but it means that you will have no life during 4th and 5th year! It is, but it seems around 30 4th years will undertake the hons. program this year.

Last edited:

nottellingu

HSC
It depends on which specialty/colleges, it's college dependant. But for some references make up 30% of the weightings, so yeah med school pretty much has nothing to do with it, it's who gives you a glowing report about u during internship, resident years that get's you the big marks.
So they don't have interviews when allocation internships?
I thought we were talking about internships :|

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Well, it would depend on the individuals ambition, accomplishments (Including GPA) and participation in other activities. Graduating from UNSW rather than UWS doesn't mean your application will be bumped to the top... that's absurd. Who would you rather employ from the following scenarios:

(A) A prospective employee who gets the job done effectively and efficiently.
- Maintained a distinction average at UWS and graduated with honors
- Visited Africa and participated in a program where his/her main duty was to collaborate with health professionals to raise awareness in regards to the seriousness of AIDS.
- Drives a Datsun

(B) Mr. UNSW who barely passed but also accomplished all the above (Except the honors).

Personally I'd go with (A) but the "prestigious" idea gets into the way of rational thinking thus I'd assume you'd run with (B)?

And BTW I'd guess around 600-700 will go overseas during their internship, and another 100 will drop out but considering where things are heading in regards to the health system, you'll be fighting for hours by 2020.

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Well, it would depend on the individuals ambition, accomplishments (Including GPA) and participation in other activities. Graduating from UNSW rather than UWS doesn't mean your application will be bumped to the top... that's absurd. Who would you rather employ from the following scenarios:

(A) A prospective employee who gets the job done effectively and efficiently.
- Maintained a distinction average at UWS and graduated with honors
- Visited Africa and participated in a program where his/her main duty was to collaborate with health professionals to raise awareness in regards to the seriousness of AIDS.
- Drives a Datsun

(B) Mr. UNSW who barely passed but also accomplished all the above (Except the honors).

Personally I'd go with (A) but the "prestigious" idea gets into the way of rational thinking thus I'd assume you'd run with (B)?

And BTW I'd guess around 600-700 will go overseas during their internship, and another 100 will drop out but considering where things are heading in regards to the health system, you'll be fighting for hours by 2020.
i guess the sarcasm in my post didnt come thru.
with regard to the number of graduats the 2900 doesnt take into account the 500 international students. its NSW and Queensland that are the real problem areas. but i hear queensland are building 5 new hospitals to help solve the problem. dunno how that will work out.

nottellingu

HSC
i guess the sarcasm in my post didnt come thru.
with regard to the number of graduats the 2900 doesnt take into account the 500 international students. its NSW and Queensland that are the real problem areas. but i hear queensland are building 5 new hospitals to help solve the problem. dunno how that will work out.
Macquarie University university has built a massive teaching hospital (do a google search and check it out-its pretty awesome) but I dont think they will have interns there.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Macquarie University university has built a massive teaching hospital (do a google search and check it out-its pretty awesome) but I dont think they will have interns there.
its just opening up a new hospital for its own medical school. i doubt it will help solve the problem of overpopulation of interns from other med schools.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
its just opening up a new hospital for its own medical school. i doubt it will help solve the problem of overpopulation of interns from other med schools.
It is not a 'teaching hospital/medical school'. It is a private hospital/health campus however they will be using it to teach advanced medical courses for current doctors/surgeons such as robotic surgery, etc.

Private hospitals are currently not used in Australia for teaching medical students or junior doctors.

nottellingu

HSC
Private hospitals are currently not used in Australia for teaching medical students or junior doctors.
I doubt it ever will.
I mean if I'm paying to be looked after I wouldn't want to come anywhere near an intern. Isn't that why you go to a public hospital anyway?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)