Medicine at UNSW and UWS (1 Viewer)

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
lol. would u like the citation in harvard or vancouver?
vancouver of course

no but sweeping statements are just retarded, especially when they're such things as "UWS I'll have you know can provide a better quality education than any other university in the state of New South Wales"

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
lol. they do have very new facilities compared to everywhere else. dunno about the quality of lectures, tutes etc. but the best university in the state for med has to b UNSW simply because everyone is like "OMG, everyone is going there, i wanna go there toooooooo XDXDXD"

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
lol. they do have very new facilities compared to everywhere else. dunno about the quality of lectures, tutes etc. but the best university in the state for med has to b UNSW simply because everyone is like "OMG, everyone is going there, i wanna go there toooooooo XDXDXD"
his claim wasn't even med specific

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
My point being is that it's not a "shit" university... perhaps those who disagree should put forward their reasons for why you believe UWS is "Shit", eh?

Naw didn't think so...

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
My point being is that it's not a "shit" university... perhaps those who disagree should put forward their reasons for why you believe UWS is "Shit", eh?

Naw didn't think so...
nah didn't think it was shit. like i said prestige doesn't matter at all. just saying that it provides a better education than any other UNSW university without citing any facts was a bit sus.

i would take UWS over UNSW any day, because they give out $5k scholarships and also 5 years is pretty good :p modern facilities are pretty chilled too

Kaatie

HSC
quick question, at newcastle you can apply again next year and transfer e.g. from biomed to med, this is quite popular. however, i know you cant do this at all unis, whats the go with unsw and uws? i didnt apply to either last year however i wish i did because newcastle doesnt take into account ATAR, its just a threshold.

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
quick question, at newcastle you can apply again next year and transfer e.g. from biomed to med, this is quite popular. however, i know you cant do this at all unis, whats the go with unsw and uws? i didnt apply to either last year however i wish i did because newcastle doesnt take into account ATAR, its just a threshold.
why do you regret not applying? was your ATAR awesome?

i have no idea about tertiary transfer sorry, but i'm pretty sure you can just find that out by going to the respective admission websites for UWS and UNSW

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
"The go" is that your ATAR and your GPA will be combined and a score will be calculated. I know Wooz knows more about this then I do so if he's around he would be best to help but I know for sure that if you completed the HSC, it's a combination of the both, no matter how terrible your HSC score... they still use it. If you gained entry to university using an alternative method other than the High School Certificate (e.g. STAT, work experience) your application will be considered and the selection committee will calculate a score from your GPA and the UMAT only. Be advised though that UNSW requires 2 years of tertiary study before they will consider your application. That's for non-school leavers (No HSC completed).

Yes, UNcle expects the applicant to have achieved a certain GPA, or higher of course. I believe it's 5 or over. Similar procedure with the UMAT.

If you gain a GPA above the required threshold, you will be called for an interview. Additionally for those who are planning to apply to UNCle, I recommend working within a hospital setting, perhaps even as an clerk, cleaner... who cares what but UNCle especially looks upon that sort of dedication & curiosity strongly. Just trust me, even if for 1 week... volunteer or something... it looks good, and they like it.

Last edited:

jeanlee411

HSC
62 is basically the average across the 3 sections, so overall you might get 186 which will correlate to that overall score. The percentiles change every year so 64 overall was in 2009 97th percentile, but may be 95th depending on the way that ACER scales the UMAT. Percentiles mean how you did in comparison with everyone else who sat the UMAT. UNSW changes the UMAT/ATAR table every year correspondingly.

Natasha Romanoff

HSC
What do you think my chances are of getting an interview at UNSW, USW, JMP with a UMAT of 99th% and an ATAR estimate of 97.65 (hopefully to go up)?
Thanks!!

A1P

HSC
What do you think my chances are of getting an interview at UNSW, USW, JMP with a UMAT of 99th%
Your chances are good to excellent but Unis don't count by UMAT percentile.
What are your S1 S2 S3 scores?

A1P

HSC
What about my ATAR though? the estimate isn't great and I know at least UNSW counts that too for interview
ATAR 97.65 = ~84 average scaled mark, 1/3rd UMAT = 68.

Add up to 152 vs UNSW interview cut-off around 150-151.

You need to interview really well though since your interview mark will be added to this ATAR-UMAT mark for Final ranking, and you carry little "fat" into it.

Natasha Romanoff

HSC
ATAR 97.65 = ~84 average scaled mark, 1/3rd UMAT = 68.

Add up to 152 vs UNSW interview cut-off around 150-151.

You need to interview really well though since your interview mark will be added to this ATAR-UMAT mark for Final ranking, and you carry little "fat" into it.
Thankyou!

popandi22

HSC
Can anyone tell me the difference between Bachelor of Medical Science and Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery? Thanks =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)