Transport of lipids in mammalian blood? (1 Viewer)

RockRoyalty

HSC
N/A
Can someone help me with the information about this? lipids aren't even mentioned in the table of my book whereas all the other molecules are and can be easily found on the internet

Lipids
Carried by:
To: (Liver?)
Their form: Lipoproteins

alexx-12

HSC
Lipids are carried in the blood plasma as glycogen and fatty acid molecules.

Matt2233

HSC
Can someone help me with the information about this? lipids aren't even mentioned in the table of my book whereas all the other molecules are and can be easily found on the internet

Lipids
Carried by:
To: (Liver?)
Their form: Lipoproteins

When digested, lipids are changed to triglycerides on the lining of the small intestine. they are then transported as chylomicrons, that is groups of triglycerides, phospholipids and cholestrol covered in a layer of protein.

They are not directly placed in the bloodstream, they instead enter the lymph and eventually enter the veins.

Matt2233

HSC
Lipids are carried in the blood plasma as glycogen and fatty acid molecules.
Your thinking of glucose. Correct me if im wrong, but i thought that the liver regulated glucose levels in the blood by converting excess glucose to glycogen and vice versa, meaning glycogen has nothing to do with lipids

Last edited:

alexx-12

HSC
Your thinking of glucose. Correct me if im wrong, but i thought that the liver regulated glucose levels in the blood by converting excess glucose to glycogen and vice versa, meaning glycogen has nothing to do with lipids
Hmmm the teacher told us the other day that glycogen was part of a lipid :s that's probably wrong though cause he's not a very good teacher :)

Luxxey

candied queen
HSC
You're confusing glycerol and glycogen. Modifying your statement slightly, lipids are carried as fatty acids and glycerol in plasma.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Ok, a triglyceride molecule is composed of a glycerol molecule and 3 fatty acids.
A VERY minute amount of lipids can be transported in the blood this way as triglcerides are long, non-polar chains and the main component of blood is water.

SO, to be transported, lipids combine temporarily with proteins to form lipoproteins.
What happens is the hydrophilic (water soluble) protein section of the lipoprotein encases the hydrophobic (water insobule) lipid section. This means that the molecule becomes water soluble and can be transported in blood (YAY)

Now, where does the lipid go to? Well really it depends on the type of lipid.

Cholesterol (which is a most important part of different steriods in the body) is often sent to the liver and then usually reabsorbed in the intestines- for many different reasons, but this often can be in excess eg. leading to high blood cholesterol.

Triglycerides are sent to the liver also but usually stored in adipose tissue to be metabolised for energy in the future. (That's what your fat is guys- adipose tissue)

That have better bloody cleared up your question, I tell you what!

lizard26

HSC
So if asked what form lipds are trandsported in mammalian blood. Are glycerol and fatty acids suspended in plasma, and lipoproteins both correct?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
So if asked what form lipds are trandsported in mammalian blood. Are glycerol and fatty acids suspended in plasma, and lipoproteins both correct?
They are also carried in a package called chylomicron and a small amount is carried in the blood.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)