Maths Extension Study Tips (2 Viewers)

x3mattyboii

HSC
"ohh wow my school doesnt have extension 2 because teachers think its a waste of time lol"

Same with me. Lol.

The 3 students In our extension 1 maths class use "Mathematics Extension 1- Volume 2" by Jim Coroneos. It's decent. Explains things fairly well and has according to my teacher, example questions with a good degree of difficulty. I also bought the Excel text book today and borrowed the Cambridge, and although the Cambridge appears far stronger mathematically, I'm enjoying using a combination of the Excel and past papers. But that's just me.

With studying, I just write notes in class on a leaf pad (or whatever you call them) and get home and file it into a folder. I spend about 30 minutes just practicing what we done in class that day by writing it into a simpler summary booklet then a couple of examples.

To me, It all depends on you listening attentively in class and your ability to write notes. First BOS reply done and dusted. :spin:
yeah idk why teachers say that though.

and does your teacher write heaps of notes on the board or does he/she give you all handouts?

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
learning things before the teacher teaches it always helped me.

not comprehensively though... but so you get some sort of understanding about it.

also, i liked using lots of textbooks because each textbook has a unique way of explaining a concept.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
learning things before the teacher teaches it always helped me.

not comprehensively though... but so you get some sort of understanding about it.

also, i liked using lots of textbooks because each textbook has a unique way of explaining a concept.
This.

Learning part of a topic or trying to get a grasp of the basics does help. Sure, other people in the class might think you're a bit of a loser for doing it, but hey, you'll understand it much easier than they will when the time comes for it to be taught in class.

HSC
Uni Grad
When studying, attempt hard questions, doing easy questions over and over again is useless.

mioumiou

HSC
When studying, attempt hard questions, doing easy questions over and over again is useless.
+1
But if you don't understand the concepts, it's still good to do lots of easy questions then attempt the hard ones. :D

jet

Banned
HSC
Past papers. Don't use the HSC past papers until you're studying for the HSC. Go to your teacher and ask for past papers for that particular school assessment.They generally have the same content each year.

Your school teachers will never be able to write a task which copies the HSC, so why study for an exam which isn't the HSC with HSC past papers?

nonsenseTM

HSC
yeah I do have the brown and green books, it's thick but half of it is exercises which you don't have to do all of them. comparatively it's the best cos it really makes things clear

rundotop

HSC
N/A
i never/ rarely do exercises
and am still doing relatively well.
my method does not guarantee perfect marks, just the best a lazy person can get

come round 3 weeks before an exam
set a schedule on how long you are going to spend on each topic.
i usually do 2 days.

so for the first day, i will revise everything from that topic. all the notes and LEARN THE PROOFS i can not emphasise how important this is. and on the second day i will do the chapter review/correct it

and basically i do this for all my chapters. and evertime i start a new one i might look through the ones i did the night before...

and i ALWAYS leave 1 or 2 days before the test to do a few practise exams. I try to fit in as many as possible.

yer and that's it. it seems like a lot. But considering the fact that I don't do any of the exercises, it's a good method to get more by doing less.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
i never/ rarely do exercises
and am still doing relatively well.
my method does not guarantee perfect marks, just the best a lazy person can get

come round 3 weeks before an exam
set a schedule on how long you are going to spend on each topic.
i usually do 2 days.

so for the first day, i will revise everything from that topic. all the notes and LEARN THE PROOFS i can not emphasise how important this is. and on the second day i will do the chapter review/correct it

and basically i do this for all my chapters. and evertime i start a new one i might look through the ones i did the night before...

and i ALWAYS leave 1 or 2 days before the test to do a few practise exams. I try to fit in as many as possible.

yer and that's it. it seems like a lot. But considering the fact that I don't do any of the exercises, it's a good method to get more by doing less.
Or you could more effectively spread out really small study amounts across the year. 30 minutes of practice each night is barely anything.

x3mattyboii

HSC
Or you could more effectively spread out really small study amounts across the year. 30 minutes of practice each night is barely anything.
haha yeah i agree a lazy person like me should at least do 30mins - 1 hour study each day on it :)

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
how can you have notes for maths? as long as you remember all the formulae etc, shouldnt you be fine? just practice applying it
I have pages of notes - it includes formula's, written explanations, examples and then I have even more pages of the exercises. It's not just about memorising and applying the formula, you've got to be able to understand what it is that you are applying.

hscishard

HSC
I have pages of notes - it includes formula's, written explanations, examples and then I have even more pages of the exercises. It's not just about memorising and applying the formula, you've got to be able to understand what it is that you are applying.
I only do that...for my study book.

My study notes are reminders.

God your study notes must've taken ages to write.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)