converting laptop from vista to xp. (4 Viewers)

nerdyasian

HSC
Is it worth it?
however i brought my laptop from domayne, and they never gave me any driver disks, or vista disks or anything... just told me to create a backup/ recovery disk...
and i did that.
So if i was to swap over like i did on my desktop, would i have to go and find each individual driver for internet, sound,webcam etc?

thanks.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
There's no point in going back an operating system now. You as well update to Windows 7 if you want to change.

Or did you mean XP to Vista?

nerdyasian

HSC
no no, i meant vista to xp... cause it seems better... faster?
but if i was to go about going to 7, what happens to my drivers etc for laptop? i never got disks of any sort...

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Drivers shold auto update :confused: just go to 7, its faster than XP, i skipped vista, too many bad stories... and i hated 7 for the first few days too, different layout, etc... but it seems a lot better than XP now.

nerdyasian

HSC
hmmm do they, cause when i did it on my desktop, i had to reinstall the disk that came with the motherboard and alot of drivers.... to get the internet and shit working... and i cbf going through the trouble of finding each individual thing if thats the case on a laptop...
and if im going to swap to 7, it wont be a legit copy either haha.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Most of the time your drivers should remain in tact. However, there is always the off chance that something will mess up on you.

nerdyasian

HSC
might be a stupid question, but if i try vista and something odd that stuff up, will the recovery disk work perfect and fix everything, or will something still mess up haha, im lazy and i am willing to remain with vista unless the process is easy and smooth...

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Well for one, XP is NOT faster than Windows 7...

at least not on lower powered Systems...

XP is a much more basic platform... I mean I've seen it running on 64mb of RAM before (not well, but running)...

but it also doesn't have alot of the useful features of 7...

7 works better on newer systems because it utilises new technologies (like multi-core/hyper-threaded processors much better.

Windows 7 is more efficient than XP, not faster...

That said, it IS a much better system, with better updates (I heard a rumour that they will soon stop updating XP and I'm pretty sure Microsoft are getting pretty sick of updating 3 seperate operating systems with 3 different coding sets etc)

Windows 7 is a half decent investment, and if it's a new Lappy, it will probably cope quite well.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
If you want to swap, just go over to Windows 7, it is faster than XP + more secure as well.

Don't like either? Get a mac.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I dont like a Mac :( simply because there's no right click :lol:... it's all thanks to us being forced to use them in year 5 & 6... havnt really tried any since, might get a mackbook pro for uni tho, they seem good.

OP just get Windows 7... beats vista.

nerdyasian

HSC
yeah alright, thanks guys. reppppedddd.
i just didnt wanna mess up anything ( drivers) cause thats what happened on desktop and i never got driver cds with laptop. thanks.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You gotta hold a shit or control or some crap.
The the lastest Macbook and Pro, you can either set it to click the lower right hand corner (or any corner I believe for that matter) or use to two fingers to click on the desktop.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Not anymore. It is ctrl on the old ones by the way (although I'm pretty sure you can change it).

The new wireless Magic Mouse is just a trackpad in a mouse form. All the same gestures with the two finger for right click.

You lose.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
:/ I never tried to win :(
When ever you engage in computer discussion you are immediately thrust into a pokemon like battle arena in which you are a metapod which only known harden, however, I am a Charizard with fire blast and I had to take my time for the kill.

You were trying to win by raising your defense so high, I could not damage you, albeit you lost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)