St Marys Senior High (1 Viewer)

exiled

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm currently in year 10, and very keen on going to SMSHS for year 11 and 12.

I was just wondering, what are the standards for selection are like? I have heard that only half of the applicants are offered spots. I am an above average student, and just curious of what my chances are of gaining a place.

Thank you for the help in advance.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Shit easy to get into.

As long as you aren't a complete dud of a student, you'll get in.

Not a great school, though. Pretty sure a lot of ugly kids go there too.

exiled

HSC
Shit easy to get into.

As long as you aren't a complete dud of a student, you'll get in.

Not a great school, though. Pretty sure a lot of ugly kids go there too.
Thanks for the quick response. I really hope I get in, I'm the complete opposite of a dud student, just don't want to get my hopes up.

Also, I don't plan to go there to look at pretty people, but thanks.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I only know because I'm from the area. A lot of kids from my school left to go to St Marys. Only one or two were actually bright students. The rest were either not too bright or were of a lower social standing than others.

aka: the ugly kids.

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
apply for penrith or some other selective school as well? no harm in applying :)

exiled

HSC
apply for penrith or some other selective school as well? no harm in applying :)
I'm particularly interested in St Marys because of the various IT courses available. If I'm not accepted I'd probably rather stay at my current school.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
That's a good suggestion.

Penrith was ranked 38th out of the state last year in the HSC. I also know a few people there... haha. Good school.

ReNG

HSC
Not ALL selective schools are good. I know cause i'm at one of them.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
How many lads go to your school?

How many kids in their senior years at your school don't deserve to be there?

Be grateful. ;)

ReNG

HSC
How many lads go to your school?

How many kids in their senior years at your school don't deserve to be there?

Be grateful. ;)
Yes i am grateful, its just that the standard's dropping big time --> all the good teachers are either retiring, on maternity leave or left to go teach somewhere else. Back in year 7 i had hectic teachers, now its just plain dodgy, you'd have to be in the top classes to get the good teachers (i'm just lucky)

chrisnumber1

HSC
from my school tons were thinking about changing and about 6 could be bothered to put in their application. One of them was smart-ish (not a genius though) but really hard working and he went there and went well, however i think that had more to do with the him than the school. But it really isnt selective, cos i know way more people who are a, for lack of a better word, dumbass. and they go there because apparently you address teachers by their first name and a relaxed uniform policy.(compared to your typical catholic or private school)

exiled

HSC
from my school tons were thinking about changing and about 6 could be bothered to put in their application. One of them was smart-ish (not a genius though) but really hard working and he went there and went well, however i think that had more to do with the him than the school. But it really isnt selective, cos i know way more people who are a, for lack of a better word, dumbass. and they go there because apparently you address teachers by their first name and a relaxed uniform policy.(compared to your typical catholic or private school)
So what you're saying is that a high percentage of the 1000 who apply are slackers, and anyone who is a genuine student will get in?

Last edited:
HSC
I was seriously considering going to St Mary's. I had the applications and everything!
if you're more of an independent learner st Mary's is the place for you
but the way they go about being an independent learner i believe won't help as a student and won't really help you for your HSC.
i heard they're really lenient and they don't push you to your limits. it's easy to jig and therefore people don't concentrate and focus on school that much.
also many of my friends who ended up going to that school changed. i found that in the past they were really smart and dedicated to school work but for some reason their grades are dropping.
i actually know someone who got accepted to St Mary's went to that school for about a term and a half but moved because he wasn't doing well. He actually moved to loyola senior high school and did so much better.

but when it comes to applying i heard way too much people apply. out of everyone who got applied in my school only half get accepted. the wierd thing is that some of the smartest people in our school didn't get accepted.

it's not like i'm dissing st mary's or anything, but if you're dedicated, you promise to focus in school and not get distracted you can do well :) but if you aren't the above i don't think st mary's is the right place to go.

some advice to help you get accedpted:
In your application form prove that you are dedicated to your study :)

exiled

HSC
I was seriously considering going to St Mary's. I had the applications and everything!
if you're more of an independent learner st Mary's is the place for you
but the way they go about being an independent learner i believe won't help as a student and won't really help you for your HSC.
i heard they're really lenient and they don't push you to your limits. it's easy to jig and therefore people don't concentrate and focus on school that much.
also many of my friends who ended up going to that school changed. i found that in the past they were really smart and dedicated to school work but for some reason their grades are dropping.
i actually know someone who got accepted to St Mary's went to that school for about a term and a half but moved because he wasn't doing well. He actually moved to loyola senior high school and did so much better.

but when it comes to applying i heard way too much people apply. out of everyone who got applied in my school only half get accepted. the wierd thing is that some of the smartest people in our school didn't get accepted.

it's not like i'm dissing st mary's or anything, but if you're dedicated, you promise to focus in school and not get distracted you can do well :) but if you aren't the above i don't think st mary's is the right place to go.

some advice to help you get accedpted:
In your application form prove that you are dedicated to your study :)
Thanks for the great reply. I feel that I am a very independent learner, and I'm not one of those students who go to school because they have to, but because I strive to succeed. I have a strong feeling it's the right school for me.

Nadiaa

HSC
I applied for that school and ended up declining and staying at my school. As everyone else said, it is for you if your an independent learner. The thing with St Mary's is that they accept people that they believe that have good behaviour and also those who are hardworking and will do good. A friend of mine he is a pure genius- but a rule breaker at the same time; he didnt get accepted. While his brother is a hardworker but isnt that smart got accepted. Its upto you. All the best :)

mathu7

HSC
Lol i go to St marys and think its a great school. People dislike the school mainly because they think its so independent teachers wont help you.
Also, its not that hard to get accepted, infact i dont think they ever refer to st marys being a selective high school, i mean it may seem like a long selection process. However i just wanted to say that no it's not hard to get accepted, just apply and hope for the best.

exiled

HSC
Lol i go to St marys and think its a great school. People dislike the school mainly because they think its so independent teachers wont help you.
Also, its not that hard to get accepted, infact i dont think they ever refer to st marys being a selective high school, i mean it may seem like a long selection process. However i just wanted to say that no it's not hard to get accepted, just apply and hope for the best.
Guess all I can do is do my best at getting a positive half yearly report, then just keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)