• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Some Questions (2 Viewers)

Carl5

HSC
Why is "no ionising alpha radiation" a good thing when it comes to the medical application of isotopes?

"Bromine water is reacted with ethene in a test tube. Which alternative most correctly predicts the product(s) of this reaction?"
(A) - 1-Bromoethane
(B) - 1,2-Dibromoethene
(C) - 1 Bromoethene + HBr
(D) - 2- Bromoethanol

I don't even know the formula for bromine water, so would some be able to write the equation for this reaction too? I really should have found out a about this earlier lol...

Do recently discovered elements occur naturally? Explain.
I'm not too sure what this is asking. I explained that we have to synthetically make them though colliding particles, etc. If they're asking WHY we don't find new, naturally occurring elements, I have no clue. Have we run out of them lol?

Other than Iodine-131, Identify other examples of neutron-rich and neutron deficient isotopes.

Strontium-90 is a radioactive isotope with a half-life of 28 years, Strontium atoms are very similar in chemical properties to those of calcium, although slightly more active. Which of the following accounts for the concern about any possible release of strontium-90 into the atmosphere from nuclear power plants?

(A) Strontium-90 has a short half-life
(B) Strontium-90 could replace calcium in bone and cause cancers
(C) Strontium-90 is composed of very stable atoms
(D) Strontium-90 could cause a chain reaction in the bones

I chose B, but don't know how to justify it for the extension...

Thank you.

HSC
Uni Grad
Why is "no ionising alpha radiation" a good thing when it comes to the medical application of isotopes?
The formation of ions and radicals may affect the functioning of biological molecules.

"Bromine water is reacted with ethene in a test tube. Which alternative most correctly predicts the product(s) of this reaction?"
(A) - 1-Bromoethane
(B) - 1,2-Dibromoethene
(C) - 1 Bromoethene + HBr
(D) - 2- Bromoethanol

I don't even know the formula for bromine water, so would some be able to write the equation for this reaction too? I really should have found out a about this earlier lol...
(D)

Do recently discovered elements occur naturally? Explain.
I'm not too sure what this is asking. I explained that we have to synthetically make them though colliding particles, etc. If they're asking WHY we don't find new, naturally occurring elements, I have no clue. Have we run out of them lol?
Most newly discovered elements are the transuranic elements, these are elements with atomic numbers greater than 92. These elements are relatively short half-lifes and any traces of these elements that have every occurred in nature would have decayed.

Other than Iodine-131, Identify other examples of neutron-rich and neutron deficient isotopes.
I don't know.

Strontium-90 is a radioactive isotope with a half-life of 28 years, Strontium atoms are very similar in chemical properties to those of calcium, although slightly more active. Which of the following accounts for the concern about any possible release of strontium-90 into the atmosphere from nuclear power plants?

(A) Strontium-90 has a short half-life
(B) Strontium-90 could replace calcium in bone and cause cancers
(C) Strontium-90 is composed of very stable atoms
(D) Strontium-90 could cause a chain reaction in the bones

I chose B, but don't know how to justify it for the extension...

Thank you.
The justification is given in the question and answer. Anyway, it's multiple choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)