• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Libya (2 Viewers)

HSC
Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has ordered his forces to crush an uprising that has rocked his 41-year rule, warning armed protesters they will be executed and vowing to fight to his last.

In a defiant, sometimes rambling speech on state television, Gaddafi vowed to remain in Libya as head of its revolution, saying he would die as a martyr in the land of his ancestors and fight to the "last drop" of his blood.
Proclaiming the support of the people, Gaddafi ordered the army and police to crush the popular uprising against his iron-fisted rule that has already left hundreds dead in the past eight days.

Ordering protesters to surrender their weapons immediately, saying there would be a "slaughter" otherwise, he threatened to purge Libya "house by house" and "inch by inch".

Where is the UN, United States etc?

Here we have a dictator with a history of supporting terrorism etc threatening to execute pro-democracy protestors and no one is stepping in.

What should the rest of the world do in situations like this?

Lentern

HSC
Like Mubarak, Gaddafi is desperately trying to implicate the west in these uprisings and polarize the struggle into "west versus arabs." If any of the major international bodies tried to assist the uprising it would taint it. If and when he falls you can bet your bottom dollar that the west will pump a wads of cash, peacekeepers and do everything and anything to ensure an effective transition into a liberal democracy but not before then lest they jeopardise it.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
gadaffi has actually been a pretty good boy lately i see no reason why we have to support toppling his regime

the u.s throwing their ally mubarak under a bus was the most shameful thing of all

democracy / ideal retards killing realpolitik

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
lmao yeah

gadaffi is a pretty pimp leader though i dont think he's as cowardly as mubraak and wont go down without a fight

losing a war to chad

what

chad is garbage

HSC
chadians on hilux utes mind you

in one battle they killed 800 libyans, destroyed 100 tanks and 80 aircraft and only lost 50 of their own men

anyone could be a pretty pimp leader if they were the dictator of the richest country in africa.

Lentern

HSC
and if the revolution fails because he bombs all the protestors to death?
Then the CIA take him out, I don't know exactly but you have to appreciate it's not as simple as just declaring a war of liberation.

HSC
im not suggesting they do, thats up to the people of Libya. im wondering when in situtations like this, the international community decides to step in and stop the bombing of protestors

Lentern

HSC
im not suggesting they do, thats up to the people of Libya. im wondering when in situtations like this, the international community decides to step in and stop the bombing of protestors
Depends on the US president, I imagine Obama has feelers on foot in Libya and he won't intervene until the Gaddafi's unpopularity completely dwarfs the west. Rightfully so he is terrified of another Iraq.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
It's an impossibility without tainting the cause of the protests as Lentern said.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
where *IS* usa? i thought they liked barging in and helping humans with freedom?

also gaddafi srsly needs to be assassinated (preferably after someone has been chosen by the ppl to run the country, who knows how to run a country. assassinting before this happens would probably tear down the country due to no leader while the mercenaries are still hanging around).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)