Is Mathematics hard? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm in Year 10 this year, and I'm struggling to choose between General Maths and Mathematics. I'm in the intermediate class in my school and my head teacher of maths recommends General Maths, and so does my tutor; the reason I don't want to do General Maths it because you have to make sure you do really well; otherwise you will get really scaled down, but I have heard Mathematics is a very hard subject and will recquire a lot of effort. Btw, I'm an average student in Maths, if you teach me something and get me to do some examples I can do it, but when it comes to tests I just freak out and make a lot of mistakes.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I'm in Year 10 this year, and I'm struggling to choose between General Maths and Mathematics. I'm in the intermediate class in my school and my head teacher of maths recommends General Maths, and so does my tutor; the reason I don't want to do General Maths it because you have to make sure you do really well; otherwise you will get really scaled down, but I have heard Mathematics is a very hard subject and will recquire a lot of effort. Btw, I'm an average student in Maths, if you teach me something and get me to do some examples I can do it, but when it comes to tests I just freak out and make a lot of mistakes.
Do mathematics and drop down if it is too hard.
Mathematics is pretty much a carry on from yr 10 work

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
You can always try it out and drop down if you feel you need to. Anyone can learn the concepts in Mathematics from scratch with the right amount of guidance. You could also post questions and get replies on the Mathematics forums. For conquering tests, just do past papers under examination conditions. Also if you need any help with Mathematics post here or if you are shy, send a friendly PM and I will try and help you with difficult concepts. Also have a look at each syllabi.

Last edited:

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
2unit isn't too hard if you stay on top of your work, and study hard.

HSC
I was recommended no maths. I was told to drop completely. I chose mathematics extension. I am coming top five in my school.
Do what your gut tells you to do.

General math and math is the same in difficulty. Just look at the content and do what you think you will enjoy more.

Jaymay

HSC
Introduction of year 11 mathematics was hard, but putting in the hard yards makes year 12 easier (especially along the lines of calculus)

HSC
Introduction of year 11 mathematics was hard, but putting in the hard yards makes year 12 easier (especially along the lines of calculus)
Introduction of year 11 maths is like basic arithmetic. If you can't even do that, imo, you shouldn't even be doing maths at all.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I was recommended no maths. I was told to drop completely. I chose mathematics extension. I am coming top five in my school.
Do what your gut tells you to do.

General math and math is the same in difficulty. Just look at the content and do what you think you will enjoy more.
Yeah, just make sure you're on top of your work and not falling behind...

should be fine.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I had the same problem. I freaked out in exams and pretty much failed. The problem here is your confidence. Also, you are not doing enough practice questions which is another reason why you blank out.

HSC
Yeah, just make sure you're on top of your work and not falling behind...

should be fine.
You dont really need to do your work if you pay attention in class and understand concepts. Work is only if you need to revise for an exam or to make sure that you fully understand the concept.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I had the same problem. I freaked out in exams and pretty much failed. The problem here is your confidence. Also, you are not doing enough practice questions which is another reason why you blank out.
It's important to tackle lots of past papers which help to alleviate the issue of time constraints, exam pressure and silly mistakes. Also helps with retention of concepts.

You dont really need to do your work if you pay attention in class and understand concepts. Work is only if you need to revise for an exam or to make sure that you fully understand the concept.
Some will understand the concept immediately and that's fine, but for the majority of people, working through questions and drilling in the knowledge rather than rote learning a formula is the way.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
My advice is to do Mathematics and if you get <40% in the preliminary half yearly then drop to General.
If you get <50% when you are trying really hard I would also, suggest to drop.

No...
Introduction of year 11 maths is like basic arithmetic. If you can't even do that, imo, you shouldn't even be doing maths at all.
People tend to do no work in the first terms of year 11... I don't think he would've found it at all difficult if he did the work and stuff.

HSC
Some will understand the concept immediately and that's fine, but for the majority of people, working through questions and drilling in the knowledge rather than rote learning a formula is the way.
Everyone is different I guess
lol
No...
People tend to do no work in the first terms of year 11... I don't think he would've found it at all difficult if he did the work and stuff.
That is true. But you don't need to work for the first few topics of prelim. It is revision of year ten.
No? I think it is the same level of difficulty. Maybe that is just me.

HSC
Thanks for all your advice. My parents think I am capable of 2 Unit, but to be honest, I really don't know what to do. My tutor told me that I'd be better of doing General Maths because he feels that by Year 12 and the exam, I will be very confident towards my work and General Maths only covers a third of the concepts that Mathematics does. And he also feels if I do mathematics then all throughout Year 11 and 12 it will be a struggle to grasp all the concepts, but I don't know if doing General Maths is the right thing to do because I'm an average student in Maths, and I'm not confident that even in General Maths, I can get over 90%, but if I don't, it will be bad for my atar.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Thanks for all your advice. My parents think I am capable of 2 Unit, but to be honest, I really don't know what to do. My tutor told me that I'd be better of doing General Maths because he feels that by Year 12 and the exam, I will be very confident towards my work and General Maths only covers a third of the concepts that Mathematics does. And he also feels if I do mathematics then all throughout Year 11 and 12 it will be a struggle to grasp all the concepts, but I don't know if doing General Maths is the right thing to do because I'm an average student in Maths, and I'm not confident that even in General Maths, I can get over 90%, but if I don't, it will be bad for my atar.
I suggest try it, see how you go. If you find it is way to hard and you know you cannot do it, drop to general.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I would suggest you use your holidays for light revision. However do spend sometime for yourself as some topics done in Year 10 may be covered again depending on your school. When you get back you will be a delicious (I mean fresh) Year 11 student ready to develop your study skills.

HSC
Who ever told you that is a big fat liar :p
Seriously. Give mathematics a try. It is not hard. I am below average in mathematics. I literally have no aptitude for it. I gave it a try, it worked in my favour. You do not want the regret of picking a subject like general and then kicking yourself for not giving maths a try. I do not know of anyone ever regretting doing 2u instead of general, but a lot of general kids wishing they gave 2u a try.

HSC
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel I should do Mathematics, General Math I think focusses a lot on real life math but the more advanced version of it, and its a lot to do with statistics, does anyone have any idea what topics they cover in 2U in the first few months of the Preliminary course?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)