Is Mathematics hard? (2 Viewers)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel I should do Mathematics, General Math I think focusses a lot on real life math but the more advanced version of it, and its a lot to do with statistics, does anyone have any idea what topics they cover in 2U in the first few months of the Preliminary course?
No. There are no statistics in 2U, 3U or 4U. You usually do revision for the first few weeks to ease you in. The topics you start on will depend on your school.

HSC
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel I should do Mathematics, General Math I think focusses a lot on real life math but the more advanced version of it, and its a lot to do with statistics, does anyone have any idea what topics they cover in 2U in the first few months of the Preliminary course?
Also think about what uni course you want to get into. Some courses have 2u as a pre-requisite

HSC
Basic trig or advanced?

Btw, I am also gonna do Physics next year, and it may not matter but most ppl say to me that I should do at least 2U maths to cope with Physics.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Basic trig overview then run into Adv.

And yeah, it'll help somewhat.

HSC
Basic trig or advanced?

Btw, I am also gonna do Physics next year, and it may not matter but most ppl say to me that I should do at least 2U maths to cope with Physics.
Define advanced trig.
In 2u you do identities, use the sine rule and the cosine rule, as well as your normal SOHCAHTOA.

jnney

lemon
HSC
as well as 2D Trig. But dw everything will come smoothly. We're here to help.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Basic trig or advanced?

As long as you can do algebra, you will be fine for Physics. However if you choose to do Extension 1 Mathematics. The HSC course will cover motion, which is sort of like in-depth Physics, however it is not required.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Just using the sine and cosine rule and applying it to find an angle or side of a shape. Includes bearings.

Rain_Man

HSC
N/A
I hope its not too late to help. Cause when i picked 2 Unit, i was very good a Maths in year 10 and earlier. But too often i ignored the homework assuming it would as easy as year 10, but i was very wrong. This lead to me failing the entire preliminary course. I am year 12 and still currently doing 2 unit. I have regained my grades and doing fairly well, this though was a result of some seriously hard work and constantly studying and doing homework. You can do really well in 2 unit as long as you care about your work and do homework. DO NOT leave gaps in your understanding of mathematical concepts.

HSC
Yeah, I really think I should stop falling under the trap of what people say at school; because everyone goes on and on about what an hard course 2 UNIT is, and even my maths head teacher is like "The appropriate course for you is the general course." Btw, is there integral calculus in 2U?

RANK 1

HSC
do mathematics its really not that hard, i mean i ace 2u maths exams without study,
dont do general maths unless u have to, it has too many words for mathematics

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
There is integration in 2u.

Also there are no prerequisites for university maths. It's assumed that you have done certain work and if you do General and want to go onto uni maths - you will have to do a bridging course.

Waste of time and money in my opinion. Do 2u now if you want to do any maths at uni. 3u and 4u if you want to get into serious maths study.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
It's not like you're dropped into the course and told to integrate a function right off the bat. Topics for the most part build on previous knowledge, everything is a stepping stone.

Take the higher option, it's far easier to drop then to try and pick up, and in a lot of cases you won't be allowed to go from General to 2U. If you pay attention in class and do HW then you should be able to do well.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
There is only direct integration in 2 Unit. Other methods are introduced in 3-4U courses.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
That is true. But you don't need to work for the first few topics of prelim. It is revision of year ten.
No? I think it is the same level of difficulty. Maybe that is just me.
Why did you refute my points backwards?
I'm doing the same.
It's not the same level of difficulty. My friends have dropped from maffs to general maffs and general maffs seems a lot easier to them, although for people doing MX1 and MX2 they don't seem that different as we get like 96-100% in both so that's probably why you're mistaken.
People doing mathematics may not have paid attention during most of year 10, that is why the first topics are there. Herp derp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)