Why do the students who go to the best schools get the best marks? (1 Viewer)

Fake-Name

HSC
This might be a stupid question, but why is it only the Boys'/Girls' grammar/Catholic/Boarding schools come first? Is it better teaching? Better resources? More dedicated students?

It sounds like an easily answerable question: the wealthier the school, the more they can provide for the students. But besides a competent teacher and a few textbooks, what other resources do such schools offer that poorer ones lack?

Thanks.

Skyzor

HSC
They are part of the illuminati :wink:

I dont know many people from such schools, but i assume they have higher levels of motivation and the teachers are more efficient.

s2 SEductive

MostDefinitelyIncredible
HSC
Those schools select students with the best marks, attitudes lalalala, and they have much more competition and motivation as students that go there are mostly brilliant. Also teachers are in pressure to teach these students in maintaining a top school rank.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
i think u missed the selective schools, who do pretty well

Alkanes

HSC
Because they're all asians and have 10 different tutors for each subject.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The best schools are the ones with the best students. If they weren't the best students, it wouldn't be the best school.

These schools select the best students, hence, they become the best schools.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry, only one school can come first and its Ruse. It is followed by a few other selective schools not Boarding/Catholic/etc.
Source; check the school rankings.

fakermaker

HSC
The best schools are the ones with the best students. If they weren't the best students, it wouldn't be the best school.

These schools select the best students, hence, they become the best schools.
I think OP was actually asking...

"If I go to a better school, why am I more likely to succeed than had I gone to a poorer school", rather than "why do smart kids go to smart schools".

I'd definitely say it has something to do with the social and parental influence. However, teacher efficiency would play a huge role...but I'm reluctant to say that resources has anything to do with it since textbooks are easily accessible and pretty much everything can be downloaded today.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I think OP was actually asking...

"If I go to a better school, why am I more likely to succeed than had I gone to a poorer school", rather than "why do smart kids go to smart schools".

I'd definitely say it has something to do with the social and parental influence. However, teacher efficiency would play a huge role...but I'm reluctant to say that resources has anything to do with it since textbooks are easily accessible and pretty much everything can be downloaded today.
Yes.

Most students who go to private/Christian/Selective schools will push their children hard and make them study this is a huge influence on there life.

I go to a publich school and every teacher (Besides the dodgy non-english speaking Chinese Maths teacher who i don't have) are great teachers!

My Economics Teacher went to Sydney Uni and was the top of her class

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
In the grand scheme of things, the school you go to isn't that important... It's about you drive, and desire to get somewhere.

tom-spin

HSC
I go to a private school and we do absolutely terrible :(
looks like my career and course in economics doesn't look so promising after all..

fakermaker

HSC
In the grand scheme of things, the school you go to isn't that important... It's about you drive, and desire to get somewhere.
Is this not largely motivated by the school/area you belong to?

this 'drive' and 'desire' despite being a personal reaction, seems like its heavily influenced by peers, teachers, parents, etc...

Would you say than (on average), a student at Ruse has the same 'drive' as a student at a school ranked in the 400s? That is the question at hand, what makes students at the higher schools perform better than those at lower schools (and the answer isnt because they are at a smarter school).

Yes the end result is determined by the individual's effort...but what determines (or at least motivates) the individual's effort...and dont say something bullshit like, "their will to succeed"...Because thats another internal factor controlled by external forces.

In the end, I really dont think you can conclude with anything but that the better results are the product of an individual who is faced with higher expectations (from theirself, teachers, and parents).

aimeme

HSC
I think you have to realise that it's not actually the school but the students. If you're at a top school and it's expected your grade must maintain that rank then it's that motivation and drive to do well that keeps the school at a high rank. If you were at a normal school and you had the same inspiration to do well I'm sure you would get the same marks as well... it's not only students in the selective schools that get 99 +

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Is this not largely motivated by the school/area you belong to?

this 'drive' and 'desire' despite being a personal reaction, seems like its heavily influenced by peers, teachers, parents, etc...

Would you say than (on average), a student at Ruse has the same 'drive' as a student at a school ranked in the 400s? That is the question at hand, what makes students at the higher schools perform better than those at lower schools (and the answer isnt because they are at a smarter school).

Yes the end result is determined by the individual's effort...but what determines (or at least motivates) the individual's effort...and dont say something bullshit like, "their will to succeed"...Because thats another internal factor controlled by external forces.

In the end, I really dont think you can conclude with anything but that the better results are the product of an individual who is faced with higher expectations (from theirself, teachers, and parents).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)