I'm trying to figure out my subjects for year 11, and so far i've got this:

English Advanced - 2
English Extension - 1
Mathematics - 2
Mathematics Extension - 1
Modern History - 2
Either Physics or Chemistry - 2

which is ten units.

Problem is i also really want to do Society and Culture and i also want to do both Physics AND chemistry

So i guess my questions is - should i do 2 sciences or SOC and 1 science (and if 1 science, which is better? physics or chem.?)

The decision is kiling me :mad: (i even made PMI's :Dand i still don't know...)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Why is Society & Culture important to you?

Many of us later in life become more and more interested in issues of society & culture of course. But do you really need to do it as an HSC subject?

TooSleepy

HSC
Hmm..thats a good point. I was just looking through things and it happened to catch my eye because it looked interesting, buts its not exactly something that is important to me like maths, english, science (duh..)
Its just the whole thing of teachers telling you to 'do things you enjoy', and i'm worried because i don't really love any of my subjects, and i figured i MIGHT fall in love with soc or something.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Why I posed that point is: do not confuse what interests you personally with what will benefit you more for your future - in choosing the right subject combination you open up many more doors; e.g. if you do physics many engineering courses are open to you (doing bridging courses later is kidding yourself). If you do not have at least 2U Maths (Advanced, so-called) you will not be allowed to do many courses or even if allowed you will struggle.

Have you not consulted your parents? Every now and then we read of students, because @ year 10 you are still young, who have made a wrong choice.

Last edited:

TooSleepy

HSC
I don't really see how society&culture benifits me in the future...so i think doing my two sciences might be better, because quiet a few things im interested in have chem. as either a prerequisite or assumed knowledge.
My parents are suggesting i defintely do chem., but they're both divided on whether i should do another science or society &culture.
I don't see myself going into engineering or anything right now, but its only year 10 so that might change.
I was considering just doing 2 units of maths but i wanted to keep my options open in case i wanted to do extension in year 12, but im definitely doing at least 2 unit maths.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm trying to figure out my subjects for year 11, and so far i've got this:

English Advanced - 2
English Extension - 1
Mathematics - 2
Mathematics Extension - 1
Modern History - 2
Either Physics or Chemistry - 2

which is ten units.

Problem is i also really want to do Society and Culture and i also want to do both Physics AND chemistry

So i guess my questions is - should i do 2 sciences or SOC and 1 science (and if 1 science, which is better? physics or chem.?)

The decision is kiling me :mad: (i even made PMI's :Dand i still don't know...)
Why can't you do all three subjects?

Do what you like most. If you like all three - look at what the future holds and determine which subject would better for you (though for those subjects it doesn't really matter as none of those subjects are prerequisites for anything at uni).

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Do what gives you the best options - to do a course at uni. At this stage it may be too early to know what you want to do - so do the soiid foundational disciplines (English, maths, physics, chemistry, biology, economics, history etc) rather than the applied subjects (Business Studies, Legal studies etc) unless the solid foundational subjects are beyond your ability; e.g. some people just cannot handle maths - so no point trying even 2U Advanced maths.

Also avoid the temptation of choosing the subjects you love. Choose the subjects that open more pathways. If you love Society & Culture you can always read about them yourself to satisfy your interest. I dont think they are a foundatinal discipline for any major course at uni (I assume you want to go to uni)

Also you should do as much science as you can handle and for that at least 2U Maths Advanced - preferably MX1. This nonsense of being able to do well in NSW HSC Physics with just General Maths make a mockery of physics in my biased view.

So don't make a stoopid choice. If I didn't feel strongly enough about it I won't have bothered to waste my time with my input.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Also avoid the temptation of choosing the subjects you love. Choose the subjects that open more pathways.
What?

No, choose the subjects you love and let them open the pathways for you - not the other way around.

Michigan

HSC
Why I posed that point is: do not confuse what interests you personally with what will benefit you more for your future - in choosing the right subject combination you open up many more doors; e.g. if you do physics many engineering courses are open to you (doing bridging courses later is kidding yourself). If you do not have at least 2U Maths (Advanced, so-called) you will not be allowed to do many courses or even if allowed you will struggle.Have you not consulted your parents? Every now and then we read of students, because @ year 10 you are still young, who have made a wrong choice.
I''m sorry, but this is not true. Many UNI courses no longer have prerequisites, you do not have to do 2U maths to get into any course, all universities look at is an ATAR, and if they do have prerequisites, you can always do a bridging course, and I don't agree that you have to do Maths, Science, Eco or any of those high scaling subjects, what if you don't do very well in them? What's going to happen to your ATAR then? If you do the subjects you love, you will do well in them; it doesn't matter if it's a TVET course to Extension 2 Maths. Also, you DO NOT need a high level of maths to do physics; certainly not extension 1, the maths involved is very simple, and HSC Physics hardly has any horrible math calculations.

And to OP, do what you love. You DO not have to do high scaling subjects to get an good ATAR or to enter any particular course, believe me, if you do a high scaling subject and you don't do very well in it, then no amount of scaling in the world is going to help you. Besides, even if you get below 70 for any subject except for Ext 1 and Ext 2 Math, and some Extension languages, you will get scaled down. It is much better to get 95 in a subject you love rather than doing a high scaling subject and getting like 20 in it, it's not going to help you at all, and you will regret it. So, bottom line; do the subjects you love, which you are good at, which you are capable of. I know someone who did Visual Arts, Textiles and Design, Entertainment VET course, Drama and Adv English, no math, no science, no history, no ecenomics and she got an ATAR of 99.5. Why? Because she did the subjects she was good at, where she could score. It's all about what is right for you, so if you want to do Society and Culture, go for it, if you want to do the 2 sciences instead, go for it, but pick your subjects for the right reasons, don't pick the 2 sciences simply because someone has told you will get an higher ATAR if you do them. If you hate science, then it would be stupid to pick any of the sciences.

Do the subjects you love.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm going to chip my two cents in everything.

By having as your first 10 units, 3U Eng, 3U maths, chem, modern history...I think you've got future pathways pretty covered. Not like you've chosen all legal studies/business studies or hospitality/entertainment/drama etc. It's balanced and a solid foundation.

I know everyone's saying you are a naive Yr 10 BUT if you aren't super passionate to take physics at the end of Yr 10-there is little chance you will do a course where it is heavily useful. Even so you could bridge it after school.

I differ in idealogy to people here-I think what you like is the most important in your subjects. The only time is when you are bad at something you like (rare) and you need a decent ATAR for your course OR when your subjects choices are really narrowing and difficult for the future.

I get the vein you really want to do SAC. Looking at your subjects, you seem like a mixture of science/humanities person so you could do really well at SAC-probably easy to do if you're passionate for .

So I say SAC for you, if you don't like it at the start of yr 11 you can always switch to physics (or vice versa) as I'm presuming they're on the same line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)