• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Another scaling q (1 Viewer)

HSC
I know it would be better to fare well in all subjects and to my detriment if i don't :( but I'd just like to know...is it better to fare well in a high scaling subject or a low scaling subject?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I know it would be better to fare well in all subjects and to my detriment if i don't :( but I'd just like to know...is it better to fare well in a high scaling subject or a low scaling subject?
Generally, high scaling subjects but some average scaling subjects can scale quite well above 95. When I was using the ATAR calculator, something like 93 in Modern History vs 93 in Chemistry resulted in the History scaled mark to be .1 point higher.

tambam

HSC
Generally, high scaling subjects but some average scaling subjects can scale quite well above 95. When I was using the ATAR calculator, something like 93 in Modern History vs 93 in Chemistry resulted in the History scaled mark to be .1 point higher.
ATAR calculator will only give you your aligned marks as done by the bos, not the scaling as done by uac.

In low scaling subjects you will need to perform relatively much better to the rest of the cohort compared to scoring a decent mark in a subject that scales well.
Eg, (not completely true, but something like this) Being in the top 3% of the state in say Business could get you the same mark as being in the top 10% of the state in Physics

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You're basically asking if it's better to have a 90 in General maths vs. a 90 in Maths Extension 2. You can answer that yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)