• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Teachers and Bos in regards to marking (2 Viewers)

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
Oooooh, fair enough. That's quite interesting to know. I think my school's rationale behind 100% exams was that they wanted to limit possibilities of plagiarism and tutors writing essays for students. The best way to eliminate this would be exams, as opposed to assignments, because it's a lot more difficult to cheat in terms of plagiarism and getting someone else to write your essay when you have to replicate it yourself in the exam - because there's every chance that writing style just doesn't mesh with the style of the writing someone else's.

But that's very interesting, that there's a limit. cem, just wondering, if there are rules, how come the Board doesn't hold schools to the same standard?
u r so luky. i wish my skool had 100% exams. I hate take home assignments.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
u r so luky. i wish my skool had 100% exams. I hate take home assignments.
Bloody oath, i dislike them too. But 'Cem' mentioned earlier the positives and objectives of setting them, and in a different perspective I have to agree that in the end they reward different people who withhold mixed skills.

Starfriend

emancipation
HSC
Bloody oath, i dislike them too. But 'Cem' mentioned earlier the positives and objectives of setting them, and in a different perspective I have to agree that in the end they reward different people who withhold mixed skills.
How about those that just get their tutors to write their essays?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
How about those that just get their tutors to write their essays?

That is cheating and good teachers will be able to pick up on the difference in writing styles and include in the assessment some internal mechanism to check for this e.g. some form of questioning about the process of doing the task - something that can't be prepared but the student has to know having done the task - takes a bit more time but reduces this aspect of cheating significantly.

Starfriend

emancipation
HSC
That is cheating and good teachers will be able to pick up on the difference in writing styles and include in the assessment some internal mechanism to check for this e.g. some form of questioning about the process of doing the task - something that can't be prepared but the student has to know having done the task - takes a bit more time but reduces this aspect of cheating significantly.
Good idea!

TorMental

HSC
Pshh, yah... flawss.

I hate how hand-in assessments weigh similar to exams, but total marks are alot less then exams. Say, 20% for hand-in but only out of /30. Exam could be 25% but out of /80. Now, each mark in the hand-in is actually worth more % wise compared to the exam. Therefore, you need alot of effort to do well in exam, to get the same results you get from an hand-in.

(Iono if anyone ever saw it this way, but it would usually explain why Student A didnt do well in hand-in, but extremely well in exam. Student B got the reverse situation. Student B is ranked higher. In my school, alot of ppl were complaining how they were ranked lower then ppl who only did well in hand-ins but average in exams, but were ranked higher then them).

THENN AGAIN, this could jst be a flaw in my school, and not the system -.-

themanman

HSC
N/A
where do you teach cem?

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Pshh, yah... flawss.

I hate how hand-in assessments weigh similar to exams, but total marks are alot less then exams. Say, 20% for hand-in but only out of /30. Exam could be 25% but out of /80. Now, each mark in the hand-in is actually worth more % wise compared to the exam. Therefore, you need alot of effort to do well in exam, to get the same results you get from an hand-in.

(Iono if anyone ever saw it this way, but it would usually explain why Student A didnt do well in hand-in, but extremely well in exam. Student B got the reverse situation. Student B is ranked higher. In my school, alot of ppl were complaining how they were ranked lower then ppl who only did well in hand-ins but average in exams, but were ranked higher then them).

Yeah i agree. Like for example in my Ancient (i can't complain too much, because i am first) but everyone who is attentive does relatively well in assignments, but come exams it is me and maybe one other at the max that does well. Yet as you stated how hand-ins weigh a considerable amount in comparison to exams; because of this they are closer to me as such.
But your response especially applies to my Physics.

It is not just your school aha.

Last edited:

awbeyona

HSC
Hi,

Your internal mark or known as your school assessment mark irrelevant as schools are all different. Your external Higher School Certificate (HSC) mark is the most important thing.

For example:
Internal Mark: 50
External Mark: 95
Final (HSC) Mark: 90~93

Maximum movement is plus minus 3~4

My cousin completed his HSC at Fort Street High School. His estimate ATAR was mid 80 (ie. 84, 85, 86) <-- After the Trial Examinations. However, he end up getting 99.2?????

themanman

HSC
N/A
Hi,

Your internal mark or known as your school assessment mark irrelevant as schools are all different. Your external Higher School Certificate (HSC) mark is the most important thing.

For example:

My cousin completed his HSC at Fort Street High School. His estimate ATAR was mid 80 (ie. 84, 85, 86) <-- After the Trial Examinations. However, he end up getting 99.2?????
how do you know that maximum movement is plus minus 3~4?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi,

For example:

That's wrong. You completely miss the point about moderation and internal rank which factors 50% into the HSC mark. Your external mark could be 95 but if you're ranked last in the class and the lowest score in the cohort is say... 55, then your HSC mark is gonna be 75 - not 90-93 as you purport.

Also that said, my estimated ATAR would've been ~80, but I ended up getting 95+. ATAR estimates can be very off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)