How many words are your english essays? (1 Viewer)

HSC
How many words do you guys write for an english essay in 40 min?
I usually write 900-950 but i've head some can write up to 1200 in 40 minutes... that's insane and impossible for me :(

SpreadTheWord

HSC
I did 1550 for my History in 50-55 minutes class assessment. I know its not English, but it proves you can write that much. Just sacrifice neatness for speed, afterall they are not going to give you marks for beautiful handwriting. But 900-950 sounds about right. Thats how long im planning my essays.

Again quality over quantity.

tambam

HSC
~1250
Did like 1350 once, but that was for an assessment where we were pretty much given the question beforehand.

HSC
1550 wow! But in my trials this rude teacher wrote my writing was "hard to read" on three of my papers :( and I reakon she may have even marked me down cause she probably couldn't understand what I wrote... but my writing's not even that bad! And yes quality not quantity but I often need to use a lot of words which is bad but hopefully it'll be fine for the hsc!

SpreadTheWord

HSC
1550 wow! But in my trials this rude teacher wrote my writing was "hard to read" on three of my papers :( and I reakon she may have even marked me down cause she probably couldn't understand what I wrote... but my writing's not even that bad! And yes quality not quantity but I often need to use a lot of words which is bad but hopefully it'll be fine for the hsc!
Yeah thats fine mate, as long as those words are relevant, and add to the discussion your all good. Also, i would account for everyone on this site, that there handwriting come HSC English exam will be terrible as accustomed to their usual standards.

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
I only get around ~800. The expected is just below and to 800. Some band 6 essays I have read only had ~700 words. Maybe take some to think about your response a little more rather than just vomiting all your information out onto the paper

apollo1

Banned
HSC
wat? external markers for my trial clearly marked us down for it. my module B and C essays were both 4 pages long, 19/20 and head of english kept them as model answers. my module A essay was 2 and a bit pages - same quality as others but external marker only gave me 11/20.

so quantity does matter

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Okay maybe not a page but like OmnU said, 700 words band 6 answers exist and that's not much.

apollo1

Banned
HSC
Okay maybe not a page but like OmnU said, 700 words band 6 answers exist and that's not much.
thats gud then bcuz i wuld not be able to string three 4-page essays in 2 hours in 3 weeks time lol.

yours

HSC
Our teachers always say to aim for 4, and with 3 and a half you can still get 100%. Any less and you're "selling yourself short" (said our head teacher who's one of the judges for HSC english marking). With that said, he has given full marks to 3.5 page essays (though that person was particularly good at english). In the end I think it's really important to balance the length in paper 2: the people who do best don't usually get the highest mark for every (if any) particular essay, but they are consistent. Heaps of people ace one essay then screw up another and essentially it ruins their mark. In short, don't do 5 pages for 1 and 2 for another... I noticed this with lots of people in my trials. BE CONSISTENT!

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My understanding is that if you can hit about 1200 words and answer the question with good support, then you should get in the top mark range (17-20) for your essay. It is a case of quality AND quantity. If you are not writing enough, then you are not supporting your thesis as well as other candidates. Model answers from last years Advanced Paper 2 - Modules were consistently in the 7 to 9 page range with none that I can see below that. There is no substitute for thorough knowledge of the texts and repeated practice writing responses on them.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

apollo1

Banned
HSC
My understanding is that if you can hit about 1200 words and answer the question with good support, then you should get in the top mark range (17-20) for your essay. It is a case of quality AND quantity. If you are not writing enough, then you are not supporting your thesis as well as other candidates. Model answers from last years Advanced Paper 2 - Modules were consistently in the 7 to 9 page range with none that I can see below that. There is no substitute for thorough knowledge of the texts and repeated practice writing responses on them.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy
7-9 pages per essay or for the whole paper 2?

jessxxr

HSC
my teacher told us you cant get an A without at least 3 and a half pages no matta how gud quality.
this is pretty much what my teacher told us too, he said if you wrote 4 pages or less, you're gonna get a B at best, and i agree with this and and although i also agree that quality is important too, there obviously isn't going to be great, 'A' range in depth analysis in 4 or less pages, this is advanced lol, and writing 5 or more pages is definitely achievable considering wide spacing and all, im sure you guys will end up writing more than you think you would of

tambam

HSC
per essay im pretty sure he means
Page length isn't the best way to measure quantity, because i've seen some people write very very big.

But yes, in general, although it may be possible, a 700 word essay is not going to have anywhere near as much scope or depth as a 1200 word one, basically it means other students are providing nearly twice as much analysis, twice as many examples etc, which will reflect how much they know about their texts. (But this only applies to well written essays, 1200 words of rambling crap will not get you any good marks)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
mine were about 1050-1150

Creative was 950

I hated english to the core :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)