HSC English --> Ask your questions (1 Viewer)

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, just a general question but can they ask you to write in any other text type other than an essay for paper 2?
Yes, but the trend seems to be essays, but they can make you do feature articles and speeches etc

Dubble-u25

HSC
Ok thanks, hopefully it will all be essays this year. That's all I've been practicing so far. :)

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Okay, question. I've been looking through module C past papers and a lot of them are statement based, personal opinion based
e.g 2010 question "to what extent has textual form shaped YOUR understanding of conflicting perspectives?"
I'm okay with the "to what extent" part of the question, easy. But, its the "your understanding" part that gets me a bit confused because I'm not entirely sure how to write that out. How many times throughout my essay should I be adding "and hence this links to my understanding of conflicting perspectives, which is (thesis)?"
Is that a good approach? Because I've no idea! :(
you can respond on a personal note, but limit the use of "I" etc.. say makes the reader understand etc.. if you must use "I"/ "my" you can use it in the concluding statement, but in my opinion when you use "I" / "my" in the body of your essay, I feel it loses its sophistication. However check this with a teacher

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
ooo btw, how many poems from our prescribed text do you recommend we use? we were told 2 REALLY in depth or 3 not so much. im way too scared to do 2 though... how detailed does our anaylsis have to be i.e. how many language techniques (roughly).

..cant wait to burn all of peter skrzynecki's poems
2 should be fine as long as you do them well. if you have extra time, very well do a third.
analysis needs to quite detailed about two techniques per quote and since it's poetry I'd say about 4 quotes per paragraph (as the quotes are of course shorter)

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Ok thanks, hopefully it will all be essays this year. That's all I've been practicing so far. :)
I'd say practice doing your essays, but just know what to change in your essay to make it fit in as a feature article/newspaper articles/ speech.

speech is the easiest thing to change to - so I do hope that in case they decide to use a different text type they specify a speech

Last edited:

engie_benji

HSC
how many words roughly can you poeple write in 2 hours over the 3 essays?

Jessem_09

HSC
I write just under 1k per essay. I have friends that are writing 1.3k words in 35 minutes though... Which is just insane.

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
I write just under 1k per essay. I have friends that are writing 1.3k words in 35 minutes though... Which is just insane.
I used to do about 1500 in 40 mins, but one of my friends would do 1100 words in 40 mins and get the same mark as I did.. so it depends on the person!

engie_benji

HSC
1500 thats pretty massive, im thinking around 1000 for me personally, give or take a bit.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
for poems we reference them with ' ' this right? e.g 'Ancestors'

and for texts that are just used for intertextuality do we do the same? e.g. 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner' or underline?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I'd say practice doing your essays, but just know what to change in your essay to make it fit in as a feature article/newspaper articles/ speech.

speech is the easiest thing to change to - so I do hope that in case they decide to use a different text type they specify a speech
My teacher said it would be extremely unlikely for the text-type to change, since it's been essays for a good 10 - 15 years now on the modules. Lol how would you do it as a speech? wtf, would it be like

Hamlet: "This is I, Hamlet the Dane"
Polonius: "Have you heard of Hamlet's transformation"
Claudius: "Indeed I have, lets kill him" :p

and a feature Article is pretty much like an essay except with sub headings and title, and makes a critical view on the topic?

Old Spice Man

HSC
I just wanted to ask a question about last year's Module A question: "Analyse how Frankenrunner imaginatively portray individuals who challenge the established values of their times."

For Frankenstein, you can mention Victor's transgression of the beliefs of the Romanticists (against the Enlightenment) and other things. But the established values in Blade Runner's context are things like 'greed is good'; a society living in technological upheaval. Tyrrell doesn't challenge any of these values of his time, in fact he actually reflects it: he artificially recreates humans and is only concerned with profit. So what does he challenge? I understand that he challenges the idea of what it is to be human, but isn't this value/idea universal & timeless, as opposed to being just from his established context?
Tyrell is not necessarily a bad choice for this idea of 'rebelling against the established values of the times', he can easily be argued as a metaphor for humanities scientific pursuit, as Scott lives in a time of huge technological advance. Tyrell reflects upon the established values of the times which were very much 'pro science', however an inspection of the events that result from his genius science are completely catastrophic. Tyrell is ultimately destroyed due to his irresponsible usage of science, cursing the replicants with a four year life span. Through this you could argue that Scott creates the character of Tyrell to warn against humanities unquenchable thirst for scientific and technological advancement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)