Is it true 2 markers mark your papers? (1 Viewer)

yours

HSC
They are marked by two markers.

Think about it - if it takes two weeks to mark Modern History with two markers it would then take five weeks with five markers (English which now takes 4 weeks to mark would take 10 weeks). You wouldn't get your results until February.

Having more markers won't reduce the discrepancy necessarily as most discrepant scripts I have come across in 20 years of marking are so because of one of two reasons - either it is one where there are two clear camps - one high and one low (hopefully both are high), or where one marker has simply misread something and gone high or low so a third marker can fix it.
what is a camp????

Awkward_Ninja

HSC
Makes sense, timewise.
Hoping my essays don't get two complete differences of opinion now :S

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Makes sense, timewise.
Hoping my essays don't get two complete differences of opinion now :S
That is better than getting two people with the same opinion that is low - as a third marker gets to make the decision.

Awkward_Ninja

HSC
That is better than getting two people with the same opinion that is low - as a third marker gets to make the decision.
In that way, yes.
But if i get a high and a low from the two, and that gets averaged out to an average mark, then i'll cry (but not really, because i'll never know).
Personally, and i think many would agree that the best situation to have is two markers who both give good marks, am i right?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
In that way, yes.
But if i get a high and a low from the two, and that gets averaged out to an average mark, then i'll cry (but not really, because i'll never know).
Personally, and i think many would agree that the best situation to have is two markers who both give good marks, am i right?

If you have a high and a low then they get a third marker.

All the markers are trained to mark to the same standard and so theoretically there shouldn't be a bit difference between marks - it does happen sometimes but they do try do the right thing.

You must remember that

juliastegner

HSC
wait so , there's only 2 markers that mark the ENTIRE states exams for a certain subject , how is that possible?! Or am I reading what you wrote wrong? O_O

D94

HSC
N/A
wait so , there's only 2 markers that mark the ENTIRE states exams for a certain subject , how is that possible?! Or am I reading what you wrote wrong? O_O
No, two markers that mark your paper and what ever is in their bundle, not every single paper of the whole state.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

No - there are 100s of markers - about 7000 altogether to mark everything.

In each subject there are teams that mark sections of the paper which can even be broken down into specific questions e.g. Modern History will have 3 - 4 teams of about 10 markers on each of the four sections of the paper. Each team will work on specific questions e.g. one team might mark all the Russia questions while another team might be doing all the Germany questions. Within each team two markers will mark each script and only if they are discrepant will they go to a third marker.

While the team is working the SM or team leader also does a few other things - they will check mark - that is they will pick up a bundle of completed scripts and just check that the marker is on the standard and talk with them if they spot a problem, they will work with the other SMs in their section of the paper to ensure that the same standard is being used across all questions within the section and then they fix up the discrepant scripts.

Modern History will have over 100 markers to mark all the paper. English will be closer to 400 markers I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)