Biology Short Response Questions Part B (1 Viewer)

Dylanamali

HSC
Short Responses from Memory:

Thanks to damo_g for helping out =)

Quite sure everything is there and marks add up to 55.

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
21 -
a) Identify two methods used for treating drinking water (2 marks)
b) Outline how these two methods reduce/minimise the chance of infection (2 marks)

22 -
a) What is the purpose of the prac? [enzyme + pH levels] (1 mark)
b) Outline 2 ways in which the validity of the prac could be improved. (2 marks)
c) Fill in the table of results (1 mark)

23 -
a) by looking at the scientists involved in the development of the knowledge of the structure of DNA, explain the importance of collaboration and communication among scientists. (5 marks)

24 -
a) There is a non-infectious disease among patients in aged-care home. Outline how features of an epidemiological study can determine the cause of this disease (4 marks)

25 -
a) Label the parts of the kidney [ ADH + Water reabsorption in the collecting ducts ] (2 marks)
ii) Which letter shows active transport? [ C - reabsorption of glucose ] (1 mark)
iii) Outline how the hormone aldosterone maintains blood volume (not volume but I forgot the word they used) (2 marks?)

26 -
a) Outline two differences and two similarities between the information displayed in Graph A and Graph B (4 marks)
ii) What other appropriate types of data could be collected in order to further evaluate the effectiveness of the mass polio immunisation program (2 marks)

27 -
a) Name an infectious disease in which vaccines are used for immunisation (1 mark)
b) Explain how a vaccine created by this process (flow chart) can create immunisation in humans to the infectious disease (2 marks?)
c) Name a step which ensures the safety of the vaccine [removal of nucleic acid] and outline how it would achieve this (2 marks?)

28 -
a) Fill in the table for the practical on microbes in food/water (5 marks)
Dependent Variable:
Independent Variable:
Control:
Safety practices:

29 -
a) How does gene expression in the stem cells help maintain health when there is a break in the skin? (2 marks)
b) What are the possible improvements of this new artificial blood from stem cells over current artificial blood? (3 marks?)

30 -
a) Identify Tech X and Tech Y (2 marks)
b) Construct an argument against the scientists conclusion (3 marks)

31 -
a) Using this example and other relevant knowledge, describe how advances in our knowledge of biology has implications on society (7 marks)

Last edited:

damo_g

HSC
I'll see if i can post more as i remember.

There was one question with the experiment and results table. It asked,

What is the purpose of this experiment.

Identify/outline (not sure) two things that could be changed to improve the validity of the results.

The experiment was carried out a second time and for the same time periods, complete the table.

I remember another question about the process of making a vaccination but can't remember exactly the questions. It had a flow chart.

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
I'll see if i can post more as i remember.

There was one question with the experiment and results table. It asked,

What is the purpose of this experiment.

Identify/outline (not sure) two things that could be changed to improve the validity of the results.

The experiment was carried out a second time and for the same time periods, complete the table.

I remember another question about the process of making a vaccination but can't remember exactly the questions. It had a flow chart.
Cheers - your helping my memory :)

damo_g

HSC
And the one about the experiment on microbes in food and water. Had to list dependent variable, independent variable, control, and safety practices. The aldosterone question was 2 marks by the way. I can't remember exactly what it said either but i don't think it said blood? The active transport one in that question was C, but i think it said glucose reabsorption?

Last edited:

danjw

HSC
21 -
b) Outline how these two methods reduce/minimise the chance of infection (2 marks)

22 -
b) Outline 2 ways in which the validity of the prac could be improved. (2 marks)

23 -
a) by looking at the scientists involved in the development of the knowledge of the structure of DNA, explain the importance of collaboration and communication among scientists. (5 marks)

24 -
a) There is a non-infectious disease among patients in aged-care home. Outline how features of an epidemiological study can determine the cause of this disease (4 marks)

25 -
a) Label the parts of the kidney [ ADH + Water reabsorption in the collecting ducts ] (2 marks)
ii) Which letter shows active transport? [ C - reabsorption of amino acids ] (1 mark)
iii) Outline how the hormone aldosterone maintains blood volume (not volume but I forgot the word they used) (2 marks?)

26 -
a) Outline two differences and two similarities between the information displayed in Graph A and Graph B (4 marks)
ii) What other appropriate types of data could be collected in order to further evaluate the effectiveness of the mass polio immunisation program (2 marks)

27 -
a) Name an infectious disease in which vaccines are used for immunisation (1 mark)
b) Explain how a vaccine created by this process (flow chart) can create immunisation in humans to the infectious disease (2 marks?)
c) Name a step which ensures the safety of the vaccine [removal of nucleic acid] and outline how it would achieve this (2 marks?)

29 -

30 -
a) How does gene expression in the stem cells help maintain health when there is a break in the skin? (2 marks)
b) What are the possible improvements of this new artificial blood from stem cells over current artificial blood? (3 marks?)

31 -
a) Extended response: Describe how advances in our knowledge of biology has implications on society (7 marks)

Pretty sure you got 30 and 29 swapped around + answer C in 25 was reabsoprtion of glucose I believe?
Amazing job remembering all that though haha.

Dylanamali

HSC
Pretty sure you got 30 and 29 swapped around + answer C in 25 was reabsoprtion of glucose I believe?
Amazing job remembering all that though haha.
thanks - yeah ignore the ordering of the questions.. I completely guessed other than that, I'm quite certain all the questions and marks are there -> they add up to 55 =)

Last edited:

damo_g

HSC
Looking back on those questions i think i did alright on most.

Looking at 19/20 on MC (the one i got wrong i just realised i changed at the end). I would expect pretty much full marks in 21, 22, 23, 25, 26 and 27. The rest i will probably lose a few but that's okay. Did alright on communication too. Did okay considering i only crammed for a couple days. Wasn't really too concerned with bio. I just want to get 80+ ATAR for uni and get top bands in 2u/3u maths and physics. I guess i'm looking at a band 5 for this.

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
Looking back on those questions i think i did alright on most.

Looking at 19/20 on MC (the one i got wrong i just realised i changed at the end). I would expect pretty much full marks in 21, 22, 23, 25, 26 and 27. The rest i will probably lose a few but that's okay. Did alright on communication too. Did okay considering i only crammed for a couple days. Wasn't really too concerned with bio. I just want to get 80+ ATAR for uni and get top bands in 2u/3u maths and physics. I guess i'm looking at a band 5 for this.
easy 80+ then.. seems like your heading towards 90+ quite comfortably,
and good job in biology.. sounds like your gonna hit a band 6!

damo_g

HSC
easy 80+ then.. seems like your heading towards 90+ quite comfortably,
and good job in biology.. sounds like your gonna hit a band 6!
Not too sure about a band 6. I know there are a few questions which i feel i did pretty poorly on. I'll be content with anywhere in the 80s though, which i'm confident i'll get.

Dylanamali

HSC
80's raw -> b6 =)
I'm hoping that I may have scraped in 90's raw, if so I'd be so stoked to get a mid band 6 for Biology.. but we'll see when the time comes.. don't want to get too ahead of myself.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
What were the two differences and similarities? Mine were very borderline.

Dylanamali

HSC
What were the two differences and similarities? Mine were very borderline.
Differences: one was estimated and the other was reported, much higher rates in the estimated than the reported
Similarities: both displayed polio cases and provided info on annual polio cases from a certain time period, both showed a general trend of decreasing polio incidence as time progressed.

damo_g

HSC
Differences: one was estimated and the other was reported, much higher rates in the estimated than the reported
Similarities: both displayed polio cases and provided info on annual polio cases from a certain time period, both showed a general trend of decreasing polio incidence as time progressed.
Cool, i did the same as those.

For 27 (c), what did you write for how it ensures safety? I got the step in the flow chart right but not 100% sure if i explained how properly.

Dylanamali

HSC
Cool, i did the same as those.

For 27 (c), what did you write for how it ensures safety? I got the step in the flow chart right but not 100% sure if i explained how properly.
Ahh Vaccines are attentuated, weakened or genetically modified versions of a virus. By removing the nucleic acid, this creates a genetically modified version of the virus - which has the ability to trigger an immune response due to the presence of antigens, but because it has been genetically modified is unable to cause the disease or the symptoms of the disease... something along those lines.
It was only a 2marker.. so 1 for the step and 1 for a outline.. shouldn't have been too difficult to get the mark.

premiumcbc

HSC
Isn't it that by removing the nucleic acid - specifically RNA - the virus is unable to perform reverse transcription which enables viruses to cause a cell to become viral?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I said these two and then I went into specific changes and shit. :/

SpreadTheWord

HSC
21 -

22 -

23 -

24 -

25 -
ii) Which letter shows active transport? [ C - reabsorption of glucose ] (1 mark)

26 -

27 -

28 -
a) Fill in the table for the practical on microbes in food/water (5 marks)
Dependent Variable:
Independent Variable:
Control:
Safety practices:

29 -

30 -

31 -
a) Using this example and other relevant knowledge, describe how advances in our knowledge of biology has implications on society (7 marks)
Good work man. But 25 (A) how can it be both ADH and water reabsorption - surely there are the same. Also, im pretty sure after it passes through the Bowman's capsule and into the tubules, any substances whether it be water content or glucose are selectively reabsorbed back into the loop.

I may be wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)